The Russians..... Eek !

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The big problem I can see with this is that the English government has added proviso's and people are trying to take advantage of those provisos. The Welsh deal that's been going since 2011 has no pro

If the powers that be are so concerned about plastic bags, they should turn their attention to items being 'over packaged'.

Doctors are a lot like carrier bags, people won't realize their value until they have to start paying for them. Next!

I really dont understand why people are moaning so much about 5p carrier bags its pathetic there's bigger things to worry about in the world! Chill.

Of course there are bigger things in the world to worry about, I agree with that, but it's the principle of the thing. Like others on here we never waste a bag, we use them for rubbish disposal (our Tory council don't provide free bags for general waste, yet you're not allowed to just dump your rubbish uncontained in the black wheelie bin), dog poo, taking butties to work, storing mail, et al, we even run out of the bloody things even though you may think it's hard to do so. It's all been a game by Cameron and his former lackey Clegg, what do they care about the poor bloody pensioners who have to fork out on their bags, the poor, the underprivileged, the GENUINE benefit claimants, they just want to be seen to be doing their bit 'to save the world'.

The so called cash strapped supermarkets, having destroyed the traditional town shopping centres must think it's bloody marvelous not having to give out freebies, probably help Cameron and Clegg's shares to go up and boost their personal pension funds.

I notice that Tesco's and Sainsbury's, I can't say for the others, do not supply bags anymore at their self service checkouts, considering what I've read on that Government Circular to retailers, what do you do, stand and wait for a bag to be supplied for the fresh food items that you buy and be scrutinised, Big Brother comes to your local store, nice one!

C'mon, let's face it, it's all a typical load of Tory b*ll*cks and we should stand up against it.

• Upvote 2

I think that one of the problems is that the poor PBI, the staff on the ground, have not been briefed properly on the actual law, which is sad because any primed customers will not appreciate this, I've talked to staff at Tessies and Sains and they haven't a clue what's going on or what they are supposed to do about it. I've worked at Tessies, I currently work at B&Q, so I know what the relationship is between management, staff and directives from above, it's very muddy sometimes.

B&Q have never provided free, dodgy bags, well it's not really that sort of retail environment, you can't put claw hammers and Stanley knives into cheapo plastic bags, it doesn't work, so we are out of the equation, yet customers often expect it, they just don't understand, or want to, in some cases.

I do love how simply stating something in print makes it somehow believable. What possible law could be contravened by charging for something simply because it advertises the supplier? Would sportswear brands exist if they weren't allowed to advertise the name Adidas on the clothing or whatever? Also, supermarkets have charged for bags that advertise their name for years. They call them bags for life. Were they breaking the law? Of course not. That article is complete nonsense. It also tries to say that the legislation needed to follow the same path as primary legislation which is untrue. The Single Use Carrier Bags Charges Order was brought in as a Statutory Instrument under the Climate Change 2008 Act so doesn't need to be presented to the House of Lords, nor does any legislation HAVE to be included in the Queen's speech. Why does a newspaper give room to an opinion that's so completely full of untruths and inaccuracies?

• Upvote 1

#145 Why does a newspaper give room to an opinion that's so completely full of untruths and inaccuracies?

Isn't that what the press is all about DJ, I haven't bought a national newspaper since the crap they were publishing about the first Gulf War in 1991.

I actually bought our local rag yesterday, this was because of the ridiculous headline about the new shopping malls and tram system about to be introduced to Braintree, yeah, right, multi millions of pounds to be spent on the public being able to walk past empty businesses, browse charity shops, estate agents and spend what money they have left on supermarket bags.

• Upvote 1

Have just been up to Morrisons, bought fresh meat and asked for a bag for nowt in view of the law. The girl, who was lovely and most helpful said that the management hadn't a clue what the law specifically stated and decided that it was down to a tied up clear plastic bag. As there were none available, and besides, my purchase wouldn't fit into such a tiny thing they normally put individual meat/fish items in, their answer was to chuck it in a normal carrier bag, 'As long as the ends were tied up'. Apparently this was the way Morrisons found it acceptable to the grumbling old gits like me, but at least they had 'normal' bags at their self service checkouts. What a load of complicated Civil Service/Government b#ll#cks this is turning out to be, Quelle Surprise!!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

A carrier bag for your prescriptions Kev ! Bl00dy hell, how much medication do you need.

I rely on Jameson's for every ailment known to man, and some that aren't. Although I had to revert to Baileys the other night. I felt inwardly cold, and that did the trick.

• Upvote 2

Here's a question: How odes the bag charge affect Lidl? They have always charged 5p for their carrier bags, so do they now have to donate that 5p to charity, or can they continue to take the money as before?

• 4 months later...

Today we went to a well known home ware shop to buy a specific item as a gift. We found the item on display, not in its box and with no more beside it. The member of staff I asked was most helpful and went off to investigate. Sales and stock records said they had 4 in stock. Three were missing from the shelf. They ordered one for us and it will be delivered to our house with no delivery charge. After we had paid the conversation with the member of staff was very interesting. She said that since they have to charge for bags more people are using their own and the amount of theft has increased and some large and expensive items had been stolen at busy times before Christmas.

This has a number of implications. If theft is increasing then prices will be put up to cover the losses. To reduce theft more staff could be employed or more cameras but this will cost money. So now the honest citizen has to buy their own shopping bag or buy carriers and then pay more for shopping where prices are increased as a result of increased levels of theft. As as always we cannot win!

I think it's inevitable theft will increase. At the till anything large or heavy, I put straight into the trolley. Then bags on top. A thief could easily load up a trolley, stick a couple bags on top and out the door. Virtually never see any security folk either.

Trolley push'.........it was known as,.........and yes TBI Its dead easy for em today,.......most Supermarket chains have more or less given up on theft prevention.....and whats even worse is 'Inside theft'...........

When I worked at Fine Fare, the boss was always on about 'lifters. He had this story of a woman he'd caught pinching a frozen turkey. Aparently she'd shoved it up her skirt and was walking out, holding it between her legs. The things they get up to.

• Upvote 1

Retrieving a 4LB Bird was often quite funny...........lol.

edit........also often highly Illegal........lol again.

Had a great big stash of carrier bags when the charge came in, they're nearly all gone now. What are we going to use as bin liners when they run out? Suppose we'll have to buy some proper bin liners, more cash for the supermarket coffers..

• Upvote 2