Hello Everyone
Every so often when I do a search I find myself here so have decided to join and hope to find some members who may have memories, facts or can point me to 'somebody who can.'
I am trying to find pictures of many lost treasures of Carrington where I was born on Church Drive opposite the cemetery beyond which was the Carrington Lido, across the road was a Police Sports ground and further down Mansfield Road in the direction of Clarendon College (if it is still called that) the Curzon Cinema.
If anyone has pictures of the Lido or the Curzon I'd like to see them.
I'm also producing a booklet about the Byron Cinema in Hucknall and it really is difficult getting information - I've done quite well so far but really need some core information like who designed and made the windows for instance. Or any nostalgia stories anyone would like to share. The leaflet will be free, as The Byron Project, intends to be a non-profit making organisation.
Thanks in advance
Anna

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is the end result of the Talbot House rebuild. It actually doesn't look too bad; they've retained the important bits. Pity about the flags advertising students.

The surrounding buildings are gradually disappearing. This is looking up Talbot Street.   Weird seeing the old building surrounded by nothing.   And this is a view not po

Met my first boyfriend in the Byron Cinema, in1970. I was 12 and had taken my younger brother to see The Jungle Book. We still had icecream breaks between the supporting and main film. They had starte

Hi Anna, welcome to Nottstalgia, it's good that you've signed up, and I am sure that you will find folk on here will be able to give you some of the info that you are looking for.

I regret that I can't help, apart from the fact that I and my friends used to use the Lido in the 50's during school hols.

Good Luck with the research.

• Upvote 1

Welcome to Nottstalgia Anna.

Re - your request for photos - you seem to know your way around the subject pretty well, but I'll mention Picture the Past even though I guess you probably know about it already.

Just to prove it, here's an example http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM019073&prevUrl=

• Upvote 1

:biggrin: Hi Anna (Rescatorette), welcome to 'Nottstalgia' - a treasure trove for writers.

Regarding the Byron cinema, the last picture show I saw at the place was: 'Dr Dolittle', during the latter part of the 70's (took my children).

Good luck with your research, also your forthcoming leaflet on the Byron; I will be in touch if I can help in any way.

• Upvote 1

Actually there is a lot of stuff about the Byron , opened in 1936 . The architect Alfred J Thraves . Just googling Byron Cinema and Thraves brings up plenty of hits . This is a brilliant history of the Byron

http://jannaludlow.co.uk/Art_Deco/Hucknall_Byron.html

And this page on the site. Nottstalgians will like this as well as other old cinemas there was a mystery 1930s car ! Plus a review of the opening of the cinema at the foot of the page

http://jannaludlow.co.uk/Art_Deco/Hucknall_Byron_Add_ons.html

• Upvote 1

Thanks Jackson and Commo ....wish that was me , when I used to go to Carrington with my school pals, I was the skinny , scrawny kid who used to paddle about at the shallow end ( thats if I remembered to take my arm -bands !)

No, it certainly wasn't me in the car with David Commo.

@ #6, I was sincerely thanking DavidW for his good old-fashioned gentlemanly courteousness in putting on 'Nottstalgia', valuable research information for the benefit of Nottstalgians.

Can't see much in the news archives about the Byron but seems that Mr Thraves also designed The Forum Cinema at Aspley and a few more including one at Skeggy

There is this in the E.P from 1935 .

"The last word in cinema construction and comfort will be found in the super-cinema to be erected at the corner of High-street and Duke-street, Hucknall, by the Hucknall Empire, Ltd., who control cinemas in this locality. The'building, which will conform in every detail, .............and the cinema will be opened in the New Year. Mr. Alfred J. Thraves, of Nottingham, is the architect."

Nottingham Evening Post East Midlands, England 20/11/1935

• Upvote 1

Alfred J Thraves designed a lot more Nottingham cinemas , a list here including the Odeon and the Plaza / Pavilion at Trent Bridge

http://cinematreasures.org/architects/570?sort=location

but according to this old thread he designed more including The Majestic, Woodborough Rd , The Tudor at West Bridgord

http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3939&page=2&hl=thraves#entry45361

and also Wilford Village Hall

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM006300

NTGM006300.jpg

Met my first boyfriend in the Byron Cinema, in1970. I was 12 and had taken my younger brother to see The Jungle Book. We still had icecream breaks between the supporting and main film. They had started the bingo hall there by then too I think.

• Upvote 2

piggys mum used to work in all the lidos including carrington it was the nearest one to us kids in the netherfield and carlton areas and i spent many happy days there when i was young and perhaps was there at the same time as my future mother in law maybe even paid her to go in or given my basket to put cloths in by her. we have some potoes of her at various lidoes in our photo albums

I never got opportunity to visit the Lidos. My local baths as a kid (Beechdale not built then) was Radford. Problem there was the chlorine. Radford was an area where the fitted bathroom suite hung on a nail on the wall outside. It was a bit of a pain bathing all the kids in that so it was easier to send them swimming. Which was why the authorities made sure that there was plenty of chlorine to kill the germs (and probably the smell). OK. I understand all that, but can you remember how Arnies eyes went in the no oxygen areas of Mars in the film Total Recall? Well my eyes weren't far off being like that. And it hurt.

I would have loved to do that but my parents insisted on safety in numbers as I was not a good swimmer. We used to catch the 56 or 60 to Ilkeston Road.

• 8 months later...

Actually there is a lot of stuff about the Byron , opened in 1936 . The architect Alfred J Thraves . Just googling Byron Cinema and Thraves brings up plenty of hits . This is a brilliant history of the Byron

http://jannaludlow.co.uk/Art_Deco/Hucknall_Byron.html

And this page on the site. Nottstalgians will like this as well as other old cinemas there was a mystery 1930s car ! Plus a review of the opening of the cinema at the foot of the page

http://jannaludlow.co.uk/Art_Deco/Hucknall_Byron_Add_ons.html

Hello David - actually this is me (I mean my web-site) - yes, I have found out a lot about the Byron but there are still gaps and I would like to make more of the feature on Carrington Lido as well and my local cinema - all still work in progress - thank you for your response.

Anna,

You have definitely come to the right place. Whilst we are mostly amateurs here, the level of research is of a very high, if not professional, standard.

I can recall Carrington Lido but my main memory was that it was cold! Even on a summer's day I found it too cold.

• Upvote 1

I used to live in Forest Fields in the 60s so Carrington Lido was a short walk away. It had to be really warm to make it enjoyable. It was just too cold if the sun wasn't out.

I worked at Boots 1968-72 in Beeston and when it was warm enough we'd have a dip in Highfields in our lunch break.

I also went to Bulwell Lido when I was about 10 or 11 and got a very painful sun burned back.

Never made it to Calverton or Papplewick but here in Daventry they had an excellent Lido with two pools. The council shut it a few years back because money was tight and the locals still bemoan it's closure.

There's quite a story behind it's construction.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/northamptonshire/5311536.stm

My wife loves Art Deco and Noveau. She's dragged me round loads of wallpaper shops to try and find a Clarice Cliff type design for our kitchen.

• Upvote 1

There's a nice example of an Art Dco building on Talbot Street - on the right-hand side going down just before you get to Clarendon Street.

Rescatorette: Re Byron....I know someone who IIRC worked as a projectionist at the Byron. If I can find his address I will put you in contact. I haven't seen him since 1980 but I will do my best for you.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Cliff Ton featured and unfeatured this topic