Old Promotional Stunts

Hiya,

We were just having a natter about promotions in the past, and wondered if anyone can remember anything about these three and what decades they were in?

No 1.....You had to carry a certain newspaper under your arm, on certain days and areas, and if you were picked out, you won a prize?

No 2.....The Ansells Bitter men,... If you suspected an Ansells Bitter man was in your pub, and you guessed right,you won free beer.

No 3...If the representative from the firm (i think it was soap powder) knocked your door and you had their brand, and could recite their slogan, you won a prize.

Good Luck :unsure:

Can you remember any more?

How about "Can you tell Stork from butter"? I think they called it the Stork taste challenge or something similar where they used such salty crackers that it was impossible to tell (other than Stork was like candle wax).

BTW I think number three was Daz.

Can you imagine calling a soap powder 'Omo' these days?

Can't think of any more but before "our" time was a newspaper promotion featuring Lobby Lud for the News Chronicle .

The Daily Mirror ran a later promotion using a character called Chalkie White

• "Chalky White, who would wander around various British seaside resorts waiting to be recognised by Mirror readers (an obscured photo of him having been published in that day's paper). Anyone who recognised him would have to repeat some phrase along the lines of "To my delight, it's Chalky White" to win £5. The name continues to be used on the cartoons page, as Andy Capp's best friend."

Was this the soap ad , judging by the Cortina 60s not 50s?

http://youtu.be/ym_vGveSDlA

I remember one from when I was a kid when the Ajax man actually came down (Or up) Cavendish Road, accompanied by several 'dolly birds' in mini skirts and knee length boots. I know a neighbour called Mrs Fleet won something but I can't remember what.

Incidentally the 'Mirror' re did the "Chalky White" thing in the 80s, the prize being £500! We heard (Via the paper) he was going to be at Skeggy , so a load of us went over in a couple of car loads to try and win it. Never saw hide nor hair of him !

There was a genuine dif'rence between stork and butter....but it was a bit of a con....cos everyone assumed it was a taste thing ....it wasn't....the real answer was Stork spreads straight from the fridge.

I think it was Tide the soap powder who seized on a street or road with the word 'white' in it and get various people from that road to spill out some bull about how good the soap powder was. I think Alan Freeman the DJ was one of the interviewers. They did Whitemoss Close off Wollaton Vale - it became 'Shining Whitemoss Close'. I wonder how much free soap powder they all got.

Thanks for reminding me of Chalky White, i had forgotten him, and also the Soap Powder Advert, there was more to the adds than we remembered, as soon as i saw the knight and heard the music it sounded like yesterday."well Almost!". I am wondering if the one about recognising The Ansells Bitter man in the pub was a regional one, just in the West Midlands?.

I think it was Tide the soap powder who seized on a street or road with the word 'white' in it and get various people from that road to spill out some bull about how good the soap powder was. I think Alan Freeman the DJ was one of the interviewers. They did Whitemoss Close off Wollaton Vale - it became 'Shining Whitemoss Close'. I wonder how much free soap powder they all got.

I have mentioned Shining Whitemoss Close before on a thread as I remember it very, very, very well. The house that was chosen was the house of my then girlfriend; the year being 62-63??

As for the brand of soap powder, was it Tide (Tides in-Dirts out) or was it Daz with the shining white knight. Seem to think it was Daz and GF's mother got 10 quid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAx86iEfOuw

How did you remember Whitemoss Close, Bilbraborn????

Trevor. I used to deliver their milk in the 70s. They had all the bunting up across the road for the Queen's Silver Jubilee in 1977. When it rained the stuff got heavy and drooped and we accidently dragged it with us when we reversed out. But I remember the ad. Mum used to shout us in to watch when it came on. I am pretty sure it was tide because of Alan Freeman. Ten quid was a lot of dosh in them days. Still worth having now.

I thought Alan Freeman did the Daz adverts ("The doorstep challenge") the mantel later taken on by such irstwhile folks as Danny Baker and Shane Richie.

As long as it wasn't Omo banging on your door!!!!!!!!!

Bilbraborn...delivered milk?

You drove one of those Co-op electric carts?

Ever delivered milk to the Shell Station next to the Hemlockstone?

ps Definitely Shining Whitemoss Close in the early 60s - GF was always talking about it and right proud of her Mum. Had left Wollaton in late 63.

I was relief man on that round but can't remember delivering to the filling station on Bramcote Lane/Thoresby Road. We did do the Co-op filling station on Wollaton Vale. I also worked there in the evenings for extra dosh. Not many self service in those days.

Those co-op carts were OK. Very easy to work from. When we had to have a diesel on occasions they were very difficult as the back was higher up and I'm only a little shorta---e.

Problem was, in that hot summer of '76 the battery acid kept drying up.

My late Dad drove a milk float and also a bread float when he worked for Co-op. He also worked for Prices bakery for a time, can't recall if they had floats or not, been too long now..

Nahh, 20 years before Ernie was born.........LOL

I remember the advert for Kellogs corn flakes open the door and let the sunshine in at that time we were on holiday at Stows Manor Farm Skegness and each morning my dad used to open the caravan door and shout good morning sun come on in, but each day it rained.

• 5 years later...