This photo is for sale on eBay at the moment:

Bulwell Forest Railway Station Photo. Daybrook - Bestwood Colliery. GNR

$T2eC16dHJG!FFmNp5+,+BSQFtGF!7w~~60_12.J

When my friend and I used to stand at the railings on that path by Bulwell Common looking down onto Common station and collecting train numbers, we could hear them shunting at the forest station. Wrigley's Wagon works was adjacent and they scrapped a lot of steam locos there in the 60s. We were only about 10 and had cycled from Bilborough. (!!!) Common station still had a steady stream of coal trains and the odd local passenger train (1961). Also what was left of the slow trains going north along the GCR.

The old structure of Wrigley's Wagon Works building now forms part of the museum at Swanwick Junction on the Midland Railway Trust.

• Upvote 1

I must have been chewing gum at the time. Funny thing. I drove along Hucknall Road today coming back home from taking my Mother in Law to the Mary Potter Centre. That path and the railings are still there at the edge of the Common. No railways though. The double bridge parapets are partly there on Kersall Drive. An old driver friend of mine, Bill Reed took loads of photos around there and some have actually appeared on this forum.

I have written some (pretty cheesy) poetry about the demise of the old railways just to get some of it out of my system.