jackie bells park, netherfield.

We took our little one to the park yesterday and I remember going there as a child, it looked completely different and i was trying to explain to the other half whatit was like when I was little as he's not from around these parts of the woods, he's Arnold side.

Does anyone have any photos of the park I can show him?

Or any other areas of netherfield that may if changed over the years. I'm fascinated with old photos of local areas as a lot of people on the forum know.

when i lived in nether field it was just a field in a sort of triangle shape two walls about 8 foot high on the front with two big black gates most of the time they were closed the other wall ran down the houses on the right hand side of arthur st on the side that ran along the railway line was just a wire fence most of us kids who could not climb the wall used this way to get in if the gates were shut sorry i have not got any photoes printing was very expencive in them days along the wall at the side were lots of goo thick bushes that we made dens in a bit of old lino on the floor perhaps an old armchair if some one was throwing one out on the left hand side in front ofthe wall were the old foundations from grandads feeding sheds and storage sheds for colors leeds ect when jackie bell had his greyhounds on there.we used to use that and the bricks lying about to make our houses the rest of it was mainly rough grass and a few more bushes at the far endof coursefor most of us kids the exciting times were when the fair came twice a year and a small circus with a few ponies dog acts and clown and acrobats i only remember this comming about twice,. it stayed like that untill the seventieswhen the council wanted to sell it for housing but when jackie bell gave it to the council for the use of the children in the areathere was a clause that said it could not be sold so after a lot of preasure from local fammilys they eventualy decided to yurn it into a proper park i dont have much memmory of it but know there have been a few makeovers and improvements over the years i just wish we had had the playground it is now

They used to have a fair on the field around this time of year. Probably an offshoot from Goose Fair. Quite a lot of rides, Waltzer, moon rocket, Dodgems etc as well as smaller rides for the little kids. Candy floss, brandy snap etc. Great place to go to get sick as a dog. Follow up with fish and chips at the top of Deabill street.

Pixie,

I was thinking of images of the crossing when it was operational, however I think those gates will disappear so its worth getting images as they are now.

Netherfield Lane ? I have a photo in one of my books on the railways of Nottingham.

You can still pick up the book second hand & I think it's been reprinted if youi wan details Mick I will sort the book out.

P.S. when I first worked on the railway a friend(Brian Walker) & fellow "train spotter" was signalman at this box.

thats the picture that i thought was some were else because of the angle it was taken every thing looks so closevyou can even see the back oncert room of the then caroline club so it must have been taken mid seventies to mid eighties traffic terrace still there and i think my sister moved out about 84is ready for them to be demolished before the loop rd put in

• 1 month later...

your right there most of us made for the speedway straight a way and there were always loads of people all round the rails and steps waiting to get on the next time or just stand or sit on the rails watching it going round and round sometimes it had animals to sit on then it became motor bikes with a few cairrages to sit on with metal rails

on the out side and as you say some would walk round in the middle this of course was the slowest point of the ridemost of us loved to get onthe outside bikes sowe could stand up against the metal rails lean out as far as you could without falling off much more fun. when i lived in netherfield and it was time for me to go home dad used to come up just after nine on his way to work send us home with a tanner for a sixpenny mix from chippy top of the st i would go home up to our bedroom open the window sit on window sil and watch the speedway going round listning to all the musicand the sounds of the fair and of course the smells as i ate my chips