I've got a link somewhere to plane crashes all over Nottingham. Leave it with me and I'll have a good look through my stuff tomorrow.

One of the first results online is from the Woodborough-Heritage site that says that a Wellington bomber came down , possibly in July 1944 . Scroll down to "Fallen Lancaster Bomber"

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/woodboroughheritage/woodboroughinwwii.html

“Planes that crashed in Woodborough during the war I am not sure of the dates but I thought it was July 1944. The first one was in the field behind Wood Barn Farm on Lingwood Lane. It was a Wellington bomber returning from a raid over Germany and it ran out of fuel.
Then theres another story of two schoolboys , standing on Mapperley Plains, seeing a low flying bomber on fire and crashing but not able to find the wreckage .

This link, courtesy of airfield information, gives information on page 2 regarding the Wood Barn Farm crash and mentions another Lancaster crash nearby. However, #32 on page 4 has a photo of the Lancaster in question which had seen wartime service but had been posted to the Syerston Lancaster Finishing School School some time earlier. This is the Lancaster that dived straight into the ground from 8000 feet at 2215hrs on the evening of the 26th of May, 1944 :-

http://www.airfieldinformationexchange.org/community/showthread.php?2233-Lancaster-memorial-Gonalston-Notts-Then-and-Now

In this link, courtesy of the same site, two air crashes are detailed that occurred in 1945 at Hoveringham and it would appear that both crews were from the Syerston #5 Lancaster Finishing School. One plane crashed following a double engine failure "with engines on fire" according to witnesses whilst the other was practicing landing and turned too sharply and lost altitude, diving straight into the ground.

http://www.airfieldinformationexchange.org/community/showthread.php?4591-Hoveringham-Notts-Memorial-to-Lancasters-JB125-amp-LM308/page2

I know this is not from wartime but the aircraft was built in the 1940s.

The year was 1984 and 14 members of an aircraft enthusiast club took off from East Mids in a restored 1940s Vickers Varsity heading for Speke Airport in Liverpool. Shortly after take off they encountered engine problems and according to reports the aircraft plummeted 3000ft in a matter of seconds hitting the ground Tragically killing 11 of the 14 people on board

And guess which one of your members on here was lucky not to have been on board ?

During my time in the ATC I was tasked (Community service for the Duke of Edinburgh Awards Scheme) with helping on the restoration of G/BDFT. It was done over several years at Newark Air museum (Which wasn't a lot in those days) It was co owned by my former CO Squadron Leader Reid Buckle (Sadly killed in the crash)

I enjoyed it that much I continued to help for years after I left. and managed 5 flights in her before the crash.

IMMSC it was to overnight at Speke then display at Southport Airshow on the Sunday (Although that bit of my memory is a bit hazy) I had seen S/L Reid Buckle the week previous and he asked if I wanted to go with them , but I had something to do on the Sunday so I had to be home.

Thank you, gentlemen for all of your spiffing information! ... and thank you Michael for your "like". I had a mate when a teenager who looked just like Lord Snooty. He used to run as though somebody had tied his arms to his sides. His efforts in a footy kick-around were a joy to behold!! He was a really great mate, though.