Schools, and how they are kitted out, now and then!

I agree, 10 hour days are too long for children, by the end of the school day they would be too tired to learn anything. When I, and the majority of Nottstalgia members, were at school we were there from 9 til 4, so 35 hours a week. I'm not sure but I think nowadays the school day is shorter than that ....... I see kids walking home soon after 3pm.

My sons spent 42 hours a week at school, which included a full day on a Saturday. But they had 3 full afternoons of sport in a week and even the boys who were not athletically inclined were expected to do something on the sports field, even if it was just cheering on the school teams. The 6 day school week was accepted by all and I don't ever remember any pupils or parents complaining. On Sundays they played football for a local team. No computers but no boredom in our house in those days.

At nightschool, it was hard to stay awake and were classed as adults. Can't remember the hours now of day release/nightschool, but I think we got out around 9-00pm...Long day especially after a nightshift too!!

My kids when at lycée, similar to the English comprehensive, some days were a school for a 10 hour day, and I can tell you when they got home they were tired, they on top of the 10 hour day, had 1hour 20 mins on the bus each way and when they got home there was always homework to do, sometimes they had a 14 hour day when all was taken into account.

The French are thinking of ways to shorten the school day, so it seems to me stupid the British want longer days, and if the British government, wants a good reason why long days are bad, all they have to do is to talk to any French person who has gone through lycée...

If Gove wants state schools to be more like public schools, will he be increasing the money spent on them to £30k a year per pupil, give them back the playing fields that were sold off for housing, and grant them charitable status?

No, didn't think he would.

• Upvote 1