The wife has it on her computer, I haven't yet loaded it, she dislikes it.

My youngest son has bought me a new computer that has Windows 8. It is very different to Windows XP but I'm starting to get used to it. My wife had Windows 7 on her computer but I was quite happy with Windows XP. When he informed me that it was Windows 8 I went onto the Internet and watched some videos so that I was prepared for it. Like StephenFord says, a lot of things aren't where you'd expect them to be but I'm steadily sorting it out. Once I get used to it I'll probably think that Windows XP was rubbish...lol

No you won't!

After hours and hours of fannying around you'll think - XP good, Win 8 bad.

It's a stoopid, stoopid OS. That's why PC sales are down 29% this year.

It's also the reason why they've got warehouses full of Surface tablets that they can't sell.

My bugbear with any new system is 'can it do stuff that I couldn't do before'.

Is it faster, has it got features that make my work easier. Is it worth learning a whole new layout and operating procedure?

Quite frankly, in the case of Windows 8....no.

About 46% of PC uses are still using XP.

It's the OS that just won't die - despite Microsoft's attempts to kill it off.

If they want us to buy their new offering then they should come up with something genuinely attractive - not an ugly hybrid of a tablet and a laptop.

We've all been through that cycle of having to re-buy all of your software and peripherals (printer, scanner etc). Having to constantly update while they iron out the bugs and security risks. Only to find that you're no better off than you were before.

I'm not being a Luddite.

Make it better and I'll buy it!

Which came after XP , is that Windows 7?

If it's windows 8 then I don't have a problem and have been running it for 3 years now.

I think I might be getting mixed up with 7 too, blame it on age...

Reason I ask is because if I buy a new laptop it is going to come with Windoze 8 on it.

Can you install older software to run with it? In particular Office 2003

Office 2003 may work but not fully. I had to upgrade to 2013 but was lucky to do so for just £9.00. (Windows 8 is pre-loaded with Office 2013, you just have to pay for a key to access it)

One irritation is that so many features require you to create a Windows account just to access games etc that were easy access on XP.

It really is a good example of a product that the vendor wants you to have instead of a product the customer would like to have.

As previously mentioned, some older peripherals do not work, my scanner software is not compatible with W8 and Hewlett Packard do not provide W8 compliant software.

Funny you mention 'Office' I was running 2010 on my tower with no problems at all, all of a sudden when I try to open up certain things that normally opened I can't and get the message I need to buy it again (It came free with the PC)

Office 2003 may work but not fully. I had to upgrade to 2013 but was lucky to do so for just £9.00. (Windows 2013 is pre-loaded with Windows 8, you just have to pay for a key to access it)

One irritation is that so many features require you to create a Windows account just to access games etc that were easy access on XP.

It really is a good example of a product that the vendor wants you to have instead of a product the customer would like to have.

As previously mentioned, some older peripherals do not work, my scanner software is not compatible with W8 and Hewlett Packard do not provide W8 complaint software.

Surely you mean Windows 8 comes with Office 2013 pre-loaded?

Puzzled as to what you are saying - 'Hewlett Packard do not provide W8 complaint software'? The laptop I am looking at is Hewlett Packard and it has Windoze 8 on it

There is what they call Office 365 - cheaper than the real thing, and that's for a reason. The 365 refers to the number of days it runs for - then you have to pay for another 365 days. All there in the small print. Said I wanted Office - "Do you want Office 365?" - "No thanks, I want proper Office that lasts indefinitely."

I'm on Windows 8 on my laptop, so is my hubby, and we hate the desktop thingy, can't get to grips with it no matter how long I play with it. We have bypassed it onto our own desktops so that we can find what we want. But have no Office loaded which is a real pain as I use Word quite often, and excel and power point. Thought it would have been available as a matter of fact, as it was on my pc at home. Have to wait til I get home to use them. I have noticed on my old pc that I can't access all the Office products now, some have simply disappeared. Probably time to upgrade and then see if I can load it onto the laptop perhaps.

No John (It was 3 years ago) even if it did, you should still get the old '30 day countdown'

Unfortunately it was loaded by the Dell rep remotely from some far off shores, so I don't even have the disk with it on to enable me to put it back on manually and my 'software warranty' ran out ages ago. (Still got the hardware warranty though)

That's one of the reason we buy either "bare bones" or select our own component computers and assemble them at home, we don't want manufacturers bundles.Plus it saves a few bucks, and assembling a computer isn't rocket science.

The wife always buys the multi license operating systems, same as what computer shops buy, doesn't cost anymore, but it doesn't have the "countdown" on a certain number of machines built in, not that that matters much, it's dead easy to get the "new key" anyway. All on Youtube...LOL

When you buy component parts, they usually load all the drivers on the hard drive, just takes seconds to download them to a CD for safe keeping.

Yes I have previously built all of my own computers (desktops) apart from the one I have now and even that I have modified slightly. Is it just as easy to build your own laptop though?

Doubt it, I've never seen any company selling the components for lap tops. I prefer a tower, easy to add extras too later and with my eyes, I need a larger monitor than a laptop.

I've been throwing computers together now for around 20 years, the architecture has changed a fair amount, at least with the new power supply plug standards there's no chance of getting them plugged in wrong...The old style had two plugs, either would plug into the opposite end of the Motherboard sockets, always checked the two blacks were on the inside before powering up...

Windoze Vista Home Premium, and laptop on way out!

Been looking and all Win8 now!.

Some have touch screen but I am not sure if thats really needed?

Anyone using Touch Screen on Win8?

I have heard of people 'upgrading' to earlier Win versions.