That's apparently called downgrading. Downgrading to Windoze 7 has its problems. Google 'downgrading to Windows 7'

I have read enough to convince me that I DO NOT want Windoze 8

Yep.

All of this sounds depressingly familiar.

I've had to sort out computer problems for friends and family for years now and have therefore become fairly proficient at sorting through and eventually getting a computer that does what I want it to - rather than what Microsoft wants.

It must be a nightmare for people who get a new computer from Currys or PC World these days.

The amount of 'bloatware' on them is staggering. Programmes that you don't want or need. Antivirus (which you do need) which runs out after 30 days and then irritates the hell out of you with constant popups. Trial versions of Office which do the same.

And, of course, constant updating that interrupts your work for 30 mins at a time and then restarts your computer.

(The Operating System being so shaky that it needs constant hotfixes to make it work properly and plug security holes).

Just as an example, a lot of people have been wondering why their Internet allowance is being used up after only one day

i.e. 10 Gb used even though nothing is being downloaded!

It's because the Apps on the Windows 8 desktop are constantly communicating with internet servers!

There's a lot to be said for an OS that has had all the bugs ironed out and runs smoothly with all the superfluous stuff ironed out.

Like I say, I'd love to see something new and innovative that is better than what I've already got.

But meanwhile I'll get on with my work.

• 6 months later...

I just upgraded to Windows 8.1 - went from the 32 bit version of XP-Pro to the 64 bit version of 8.1 and it was, without doubt, the easiest O/S upgrade/install I have EVER done! It does take a little getting used to - but once you have set it up, it is very similar to XP apart from the "start" screen (which you can bypass).

It is much faster than XP - but utilizing the 64 bit processor and ALL the 4Gb of memory helps there too!

I had some exposure to it from the new laptop we bought at Christmas - what I did not expect was that all the setup I had done on that was automatically transferred to my desktop! MAGIC! I also purchased Office 365 - for $99/year I can install it on 5 devices (including Macs and most tablets). I needed that so that I could run the database I use for my business, and buying a full-blown "own it" version is a lot of $$$$. For $99/year I think it is a bargain - and it works well too!

We bought a Sony laptop, but it's more of a tablet with a keyboard separate. It's Windows 8, we bought it in Miami in November and left it so we could use it when we're over here. When we came here the other week we brought our old laptop just in case we couldn't figure the new one out ( we're not very clever when it comes to technology!). So, we cannot get the hang of the new computer and the old laptop has given up the ghost completely while we've been here! Feel like my right arm's been chopped off, good job I have an iPad with me. The trouble is we've had work to do on the computer ...... The other day I spent hours and hours just typing a letter and trying to scan it. I got angry ........ I'm supposed to be on holiday!!!!

Wish I'd read this thread properly before we bought the new laptop, but do we have a choice? Is Windows 8 all you can get nowadays?

Ha.

Sorry Lizzie. I'm not laughing at you. I'm laughing at the whole Windows 8 debacle.

How to mess up big time - even when they had a virtual strangle hold on the computer market!

Microsoft released something that was meant to satisy the tablet market as well as the PC market and ended up pleasing neither.

It's just not a nice system to use.

You're right about tablets - iPads etc. You can just pick them up and they are fairly intuitive.

But most grown ups want to type letters on a proper keyboard - have a reasonable sized screen and have a decent amount of storage i.e. a laptop or PC.

You've probably noticed that Microsoft have started an aggressive TV campaign now to try and convince people that the newly-released Windows 8.1 will address all the gripes that people have had.

It won't.

I had forgotten that I had started this thread.

I did buy a new laptop for me Chrissy pressey from me to me and it is Windoze 8. Can't see a problem with it. I don't use the desktop screen, and there is no need to. I have installed Google Chrome on it and other software that I use and hey presto, what's the difference. I think a lot of people see something new and decide that just because its new its no good and they don't like it. The hardest thing I found getting used to was the mouse pad. Having never used a laptop before I had never used a mouse pad either - but that is nothing to do with Windoze 8.

Last December I decided to scrap my XP tower system and buy a laptop with windows 8. A techy mate helped to set it up and had difficulties, eventually an engineer came round and decided to replace the hard drive with Windows 8.1.

When it was set up I just didn't get on with it, and eventually did a swap with the wife for her windows 7 laptop. She is happy with the 8.1 and I like the 7.

I suppose the fact is, that she accepts new technology, and I don't like change.

I bought a new laptop last year with Windows 8. It took a little while to understand it.

They then brought out 8.1 which is far better and there was a significant update just last week.

I am now quite happy with Windows 8.1 even though I still use XP on my works laptop.

I have a MS Office 'homeworker' licence which cost a one-off £9.95.

I am amazed by all the negativity. Were you this bad when you switched from DOS to Windows? Or from the original windows to XP? Frankly, once you have 8.1 set up - it looks and functions just like XP - and you can easily set it to skip the start screen so it goes straight to the desktop, just like XP and if you still don't like it - download THIS and you will be in familiar territory. Sorry, I haven't found a shell that will take you back to a DOS prompt - but I'm looking! :)

Mick,

You just reminded me, I still have a 486DX laptop in the loft with Windows 3.1 and XT gold on it. Might dig it out and see if it still works. Can't connect to the internet though as it needs a modem and cable (no USB or Ethernet ports in those days)

As for Windows 8, I recall the same reactions when folk had to switch to the various old incarnations of Windows. I liked Win95 and NT, 98 wasn't that different, then came Win2k and Vista, but everyone hated them! I now have Win7 on our laptops and Win8 on my phone.

The problem with every version of Windows is that they get bogged-down with junk - temporary files, internet cache, obsolete registry files, spyware, tracking cookies, and so on. The occasional bit of maintenance works wonders. My old XP desktop boots up and runs quicker than the company Win7 laptop I've just handed-back, thanks to a regular dose of CCleaner, Spybot S&D, Eusing Registry cleaner and Malwarebytes, and a periodic disc defrag using Auslogics defragmenter.

Lizzie, if you want me to have a look at the laptop when you're back, let me know.

I seem to remember around 1995 we got hold of pirate copy of the new windows operating system.

I think it was called Chicago? Never appeared? Didnt win95 comeout in 1996?

The best that I have ever heard about Windows 8 is :

'It's really not that bad'.

I have never heard anyone say:

Windows 8 is fantastic - a real improvement on Windows 7 & XP.

The fact that a new computer comes with Windows 8 is in some way a sort of monopoly. So for people to want to change it for something else (Win 7, Linux, even XP) shows that Microsoft have come up with a turkey.

Apparently they've got warehouses full of 'Surface' computers that they can't sell, and the cycle of getting a new machine, ditching all your peripherals and re-buying all your software has reportedly come to a halt.

Windows 8.1 has tried to improve things like going back to a standard desktop and not trying to force people to adopt new and not necessarily better ways of working, but really the damage is done.

It's not that I'm a Luddite. I like new things, but I'm reluctant to spend money and waste time on something that is no better than what I've already got.

• Upvote 2

I am going to 'upgrade' to Windows 8.1 on my Laptop shortly today. I will report on my opinions over windows 8 soon.

• 1 month later...

One of our members posted this on another forum, I am sure he wont mind me posting this important information here for our Windows 8 users.

++ Must See ++

I have upgraded my laptop to Windoze 8.1. The app based startup screen has now gone - unless you want it. I can see the point of getting the start button back as well tho'

Bruddy 'ell - that's a long-winded way to say "Download and install Classic Shell" - there, it took a lot less than 6 minutes!

You can download it HERE

See, it's easy.