Moon landings???

We can only apply the science and the laws of science that we know on earth. Things may be a bit different millions of light years away.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

James Burke did a show many years ago where he explained why it was mathematically unlikely we've been visited by 'aliens'. Whilst i can't remember the numbers, the logic made sense. Firstly, if we ca

I Understood the 'tits up' bit Colly

Brain Cox has said "we are the only intelligent beings in our galaxy at the present time," thing is, how will we ever know?

I read a sci-fi book were they used the moon to make a 'giant hadron collider' (a mega LHC) going round the moons surface: It created a black hole that devoured the moon into a microscopic dot. There was no immediate harm to the earth as the black hole had the same mass as the moon did. It caused strange gravitational lensing effects bending light & radio waves back to earth causing co-channel interference of radio & TV stations. Unfortunately the BH started drifting towards earth & that could bu**er things up big time when it hit us. They had to fire lots of heavy stuff to the other side of the BH to attract it away from the earth. Wonder it it'd work?

Re # 95

Of the 4 fundamental forces (gravity, electro-magnetism, strong nuclear force & weak nuclear force) gravity with it's 'general relativity' equations stands apart from the other 3's quantum physiscs equations as they don't seem to work with each other. They DO work together if they use 'super-string' theory, but they don't have any evidence that 'super-string' theory is true, so they're bu**ered unless the LHC discovers sumat new..

Re #97

I suppose when the Chinese or Indian un-manned lunar lander's find them & send back video of the artifacts & footprints left behind, the conspiracy lot will say they're in on it too..

Smashing Colly.......................thanks

• Upvote 1

My thoughts are that there are so many billions of possibilities out there, that there must have been other chance circumstances occur that makes life possible. Maybe Brian is just being provocative?

I think the arguments Brian Cox was trying to put over are several......

1. The fact that intelligent life evolved on our planet does not prove that it exists now, or ever existed in the past elsewhere. Statistically you can't extrapolate a sample of one planet to the whole universe. It's a bit like having an opinion poll where you only ask one person's views before reaching a conclusion.

2. If life did form on other planets, it would not necessarily be advanced. The evolution of advanced, multi-cellular organisms on Earth only happened because of one very highly improbable, unique merger of 2 simple, single-cell organisms into one. This joint cell then successfully reproduced, which was also very unlikely. Evidence suggests this event only ever successfully happened once on Earth, despite many billions of years of evolution.

3. Earth has undergone several near-complete catastrophes when life all but died out. If things had only been very slightly worse, life could have died out altogether. These risks would exist on any planet anywhere in the universe. Life could disappear on a planet long before it became advanced.

4. The universe is very old and hopefully has a long time to go yet. It is perfectly possible for huge numbers of advanced civilisations to form and then disappear at random all over the universe. Few, if any would exist at the same point in time. Also, there are vast, incomprehensible distances in space. These factors make it unlikely that we would ever find evidence of another intelligent civilisation, even if many existed in the past, present or future.

I am sure Mr Cox put things far more eloquently!

• Upvote 1

#104 I did take these arguments on board and Brian's astute logic is difficult to fault, albeit within known knowledge. However there is another aspect to consider and that is the human need for the possibility of an alien existence. If we 'knew' that we were alone I think we would just stop our endevours and shrivel.

As I said, we can only apply the science we know to anything extra-terrestrial. I don't believe for one minute that we are the only planet with intelligent life forms. There may be life forms out there with an eco system that is nothing like anything we could recognise. If we took our technology back a couple of thousand years, we would become Gods.

When you consider the universe is 13.798±0.037 billion years old and the observable universe alone is calculated to contain 300 sextillion (3×1023) stars, it does seem a bit implausible that intelligent life has not formed elsewhere than on Earth.

Brian Cox now seems to be saying on Facebook that he is optimistic that there is other life out there - evidence perhaps that the view presented on his recent TV programme came over a little too pessimistic?

• Upvote 1

My Brother-in-laws NEW theory is that it was all filmed in a giant vacuum chamber & they slowed the film down on playback so the hammer/feather thing would work. However he only came out with this theory after watching Brian Cox's program the other night. Hmm, I'm suspicious..

Is this still going on?..

I'd love to know how over 50 years, tens of thousands of people involved in the moon landings, including the close attention of the KGB. And not a single person has exposed information of a scam that would make them a millionaire overnight.

• Upvote 2

It's like all conspiracy theories, there can only be some doubt if there is a serious anomaly somewhere that throws light on it.

The 'evidence' in the case of the moon landings seems to be that some of the pictures "didn't look right".

I think it's good to keep an open mind on all things - especially when we are fed so much by the media and by authorites that have a vested interest, but some people seem addicted to intrigue and alternative motives - however unlikely.

By all means let's see your 'proof' that things didn't happen the way that they appeared.

Most of the time this 'proof' amounts to dopey science fiction, or just an opinion on the internet by some nobody with no creedence whatsoever.

Maybe, after all, we did go to the moon.

Maybe Kennedy was shot by Oswald acting alone and perhaps it's more than likely that 9/11 happened because some extremist nutters hijacked planes and flew them into the twin towers.

The burden of proof is on those who say these things didn't happen.

• Upvote 3

Further to my post # 122

Just remembered, my Bro-in-law claimed a while ago the proof of a hoax was the spring loaded flag waving in the wind. Now he says it was "all filmed in a vacuum chamber!" There'd be zero wind in a vacuum chamber! He's contradicted himself. Wait till I see him again..

• Upvote 1