Fantastic Value Breakfast

I would like to share this with any of you who enjoy a good English Breakfast,

On returning home the following day from our Nottstalga meet up last week, we saw a sign out side The Blue Peter Pub a "Crown Carvery" on Harvey Road, A5111 on the Derby ring road. we decided to give it a try. For £3.99, you have a buffet breakfast, for any big appetites, it was unlimited and every single thing was cooked perfectly, the sausages weren't cheap and nasty, all good quality food, toast and marmalade or jam to follow. I don't think you will be disappointed, we will definitely go again.

I used to pop into our Crown Carvery (Owned by Greene King by the way) well when I used to I went once with SWMBO and again on my own. The third time I went I found it now only opens for breakfast at the weekend ! Now go figure that, lets have a think! when is your busiest period? during the week when folks are at work and on the road and can drop in for a bite to eat, or the weekend when any body with the chance to is having a bit of a lie in?

I did find it wasn't the best either , most of the food had sat there for ages and wasn't the best for it !

Also then they charged something like 2 quid for a coffee, and I don't know about you folks but one of those little cups of Java ain't enough to kick start my day (usually a litre for me!) so add on the price of a drink and it starts to go up and up.

But if you don't have a drink it is quite a reasonable price.

Perhaps the good food at The Blue Peter was partly down to the way it was cooked, we really enjoyed it. It really was one of the best breakfasts we have eaten away from home cooked food. I just remembered that we only share a tea, as we were travelling and it's not wise to have to much to drink, that also kept the cost down for us.

Yes 'Crown Carveries' mentioned here before. Lunch/Dinner buffet very good value too.

Like all chains, they vary in food quality.

A good example 'Fair & Square' Pub Plank & Leggit Sawley, absolute CRAP food, whilst other F&S pubs can be excellent.

Still say limes cafe does a mean English brekkie! It's on the way to rufford ... Rubbish with names of roads.

We tried subway breakfast for something quick and eat on the way out. Never again, the fact that they picked everything up and microwaved it in front of you was enough to make me heave!!

Franky & bennies is meant to be quite nice, it's £5 and it's an all you want buffet, couple of people have told me it's actually quite nice, one person didn't like that you had to pay a 5er even if you was to eat a couple of sausages and a slice of bacon with a piece of toast... But then why would you have a buffet brekkie if your not going to get your money's worth, eh :)

I still say you can't beat the 'greasy spoon' in Winsford Market (Only open Monday,Thursday and Saturday, Just round the corner from this cinema...............for those who remember good old 'Pearl and Deans') Papah Papah Papah Papah pa pa pa !

You get 2 Sausage, 2 Bacon, 2 Eggs (Done how you want them), Beans, tomatoes, Mushrooms, Fried Bread, 2 Toast and a big mug of all milk coffee for the grand sum of £4.35p . You don't have to be in too much of a rush as it's all freshly made.

Right I'm taking bookings, who's coming?

Anyone else on here ever go to Woolworths before it was primark for brekkie?

Mum used to take me every few weeks when we had a trip to town, we'd start off with a breakfast, two of everything and fried/french toast, that I still remember the taste of and I don't think iv had much better.

Here's a true story which happened a few years ago.

Some guys at work had been working down London and were driving home after a night shift.

Driving back up the motorway they felt hungry and pulled into a service area. They spotted posters everywhere saying 'BREAKFAST £1.25'

That's great, they thought, we'll have some of that.

They served their selves and moved on to the checkout. The girl on the till said to the first one, 'That's £5.00 please'

The guy pointed to one of the posters and said 'What's that about Breakfast £1.25'

That's right, she said, £1.25 for your bacon, £1.25 for you sausage, £1.25 for your egg, £1.25 for your tomatoes

Any toast? No, he said, not if it's £1.25 a slice!

British Home Stores

10 item breakfast and a slice of toast £3.60.

10 Sausages best value :)

10 baked beans worst!

As posted above The Limes on the 614 used to be a regular stop for me. A old fashioned tranny café, spotlessly clean and great grub.

Mind you that was some years ago and I believe it has changed hands now.

Colin

Only ever seen lorry drivers and people on their travels in there. Whenever we're heading off for a day if we're going past limes we'll nearly always stop off for a brekkie if not.. we go to McDonalds. I used to love the treat of a McDonald's breakfast, but iv found theyv started to taste more greasy than anything else. :( hashbrowns are good from there though with some bbq sauce!

Paradise Cafe, Arnold. Great value, freshly cooked, but coffee too milky.

• 4 years later...

If anyone is planning a trip to Glasgow may I recommend a small chain of eateries called "World Buffet".  I used the one in Sauchiehall Street twice over the weekend.  It is an all-you-can-eat buffet with food styles from various parts of the world.  In addition, there is an enormous selection of deserts to mix as you please. This weekend the USA, Chinese, Asian and Italian foods were featured.  At £6.99 for lunch  between 12-4PM Mon-Fri and £7.99 Sat-Sun, you will not find better value anywhere in Glasgow.