VERY newly built by the look of it! Do you know what year that photo was taken? We moved in to our brand new house in 1951. I suppose the estate did look that raw and bare before people had made gardens but I don't remember it looking quite that empty. I guess maybe I was too young to notice such things.

• 3 weeks later...

Now that I own the house I grew up in, I can tell you that the land upon which many of the houses were built was bought by the corporation from farmer Jackson at Old Park Farm. 

• 1 year later...

I lived in Meldreth Road as a child in the 1950s and 1960s. The public library in the former stables at Old Park Farm was my Aladdin's Cave of treasures. The lady librarians welcomed children. You could stay for hours, reading in its warm and welcoming atmosphere. As a teenager I attended ballroom dancing classes on Saturday afternoons in the hall in the old farmhouse. Not very appropriate for working-class kids, but a safe place in which to meet boys!

• 7 months later...

@Paul Dilks It’s good to see you’re posting on several threads!  I hope you’ll continue.

I know nothing all all about Bilborough but I know some people on here do.

Welcome !

• 7 months later...

I did my driving test around there in 1969 and had to reverse around a corner on Morval road. There was a huge,overgrown field in front of Old Park Farm. It used to house the library before the one on Bracebridge Drive was built and the Guides did shows there. Sometimes on a Saturday there were Old Tyme Dancing classes there too.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

just joined.  I found you by researching the Wollaton Waggon Way. I know the Old Park Farm well.  My grandfather worked there ( from the 1920s I think, will try to verify) when it was working farm and stayed on when it was taken over by the council. He died in the early sixties.  I will look back in the family archives for more information.  Who has the original of the photograph?

Cheers 

Was Old Park Farm located in the area of the path that runs through the oval of bungalows between Staverton Road that connects with Bramerton Road and onward to Clether Road? It seems such an extravagance to demolish the farm at all.