A certain person who shall not be named has been posting disparaging images of one of my favourite creatures. As few venture to the Power Cut thread here is the picture I posted for all the nice people here. Possums are sweet little things.

possum.jpg.

Possums were very tame, and would sit in the gutters next to our kitchen door at night and wait for pieces of apple. Stick a piece on the end of a cane and hold it up for them, and they would take it and sit there holding it with both hands whilst munching away. They could grow to the size of a small rabbit. They are protected here.

So you're the person who was responsible for the swan found partially cooked on a canal bank, as reported a couple of months back by Auntie Beeb.

• Upvote 1

Nah, if it was me it would have been properly cooked, and served with some Peacock on the side.

There's the old "Drovers" recipe for Cockatoo stew, goes a bit like this, first catch yer cockie, de feather it, gut it and clean it, put a pot of water over the fire and get it on the boil. Throw the cockie, some herbs, salt and pepper to tast in the boiling water, throw a handful of pebbles in the water and boil for an hour.

Empty the contents on to a plate, throw the cockie away and eat the pebbles.

When I was in Adelaide, I was told in no uncertain terms "Do NOT run over a Possum". When I asked why, I was told they will destroy the suspension on your car - the things are basically walking lumps of concrete!

Fortunately, the situation never arose - and I was never offered any to eat - I did try kangaroo tenderloin, very tasty!

I think you mean Wombats, Eric, possums are too small to do any damage, Wombats can wreck a semis steering and front end suspension.

Wombats are a bit like a larger version of our groundhogs.

"His name was Angus Prune, and he never missed..."

That's it - Wombats! :blush:

Now that would indeed be a curse Stephen, bad enough with the rest of the flying things down under.... I had a bat hit my windscreen on the way to work one night down under, scared the bazookers out of me.

Mate of mine had a brand new car, he was on his way to work on nights, in fact he was a short way behind me, when I looked back in the mirror there was no sign of him, so assumed he'd had a flat tyre.

Turns out a "flying" Roo hit him, took the top of his brand new car back about two feet, windshield popped out in one piece.

He was almost in tears at work the next night when he was telling us, "My brand new car".......

Those and wombats were the two things I feared most, driving at night down under.

Tort so Eric, solid critters like pigs, they roll when you run over them, they do take all the front end suspension, steering etc out, virtually writing a car off.

The only wombats I'm familiar with are Tinga and Tucka, on at lunchtime during Lunchbox, I do believe. Jean Morton was the boss lady. I still remember the secret sign of the members. I really must get out more!

Yes wombats are built tough, they are solid bone and muscle and cause heaps of damage when hit. Doesn't do the poor wombat much good either !

My daughter drove through a flock of Galahs 2 weeks ago (parrot type bird, pink and grey) she slowed and tried to avoid them but one clipped her door mirror and tore it completely off. Again, didn't do the galah much good, it cost her $300 to replace it (the mirror) :-) not the galah.

No need for captions.......the picture speaks for itself slywink

However, the subject was a cross-eyed opossum by the name of Heidi - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2042801/Heidi-cross-eyed-opossum-dies-Germany-mourning.html

PSST Katy.

Woomerang Boomerang, With a bow of the head and with the right hand at a right angle to the nose, in a kind of salute?

Nah , never watched it !