I LOVE a good horror, I choose this genre over all others. Second I love a comedy, then a tear jerker... And I also love the old films (the original wizard of oz, breakfast at tiffany's etc)

Anyways, I went to see he conjuring last night, and as a horror fan, I was shocked at how rubbish it was! Too many 'stolen' ideas jumped out at me from Amityville, polterguest, paranormal activity, insidious...

Tonight a friend leant us The Devil Inside. This looked good when it was in the cinema last year but I never got a chance to go see it. Again, I'm shocked, it was rubbish!

Anyone seen any films lately? Their thoughts on it? Also, if anyone has any reccomendations for a horror that's actually scary (takes a lot for me) - giss a heads up!

Last couple of days I've been downloading old and newer westerns, as soon as the other server is working properly again I'll download all the James Bond films for the wife.

The last half-way decent movie I saw at a cinema was Avatar . Even bought the DVD. Hate going to cinemas these days. They seem to set the sound levels for when the place is full, which absorbs the sound, and then when they have concession tickets and the place is virtually empty they don't turn it down, so you are deafened. Now I wait until it comes out on DVD or Blu-ray and watch it at home, where I have control over the volume.

Anyway my Mum always used to refer to them as f l i m s.

Have you ever been to the Savoy cinema? I only go there now, it's much cheaper & they even do orange Wednesdays. I'm not with orange but someone will send me the code for my rare visit to the cinema. They seem to turn the volume down, I went to see a film and the room only had a handful of people as it had been out a while and it was no where near as loud as somewhere like showcase would be. I love going their, much better atmosphere too with it being an older cinema.

Loved avatar also, iv watched it a few times whenever its on tv. It took me a second time to watch it and understand it fully, but once I understood it, it made it a much more beautiful yet fascinating film for me.

Pixie, my first [and only] horror movie was The Telltale Heart, went with a friend, we'd be about 16 I reckon, scared the beejeebers out of us. I haven't seen one since.

I remember going to see The Exorcist when it first came out.

Some idiot ran all the way down from the back waving their arms around and stood at the front jumping up and down shouting...

"YOUR ALL DAMNED... YOUR ALL GOING TO HELL"

I'm still here so far!

The last film that I saw at the cinema was "Alien". Saw it on a very big screen in a place called White Flint Mall in the Wash D.C suburbs when it first came out. Left the cinema with fingernail imprints in the palms of my hands so deep they should have drawn blood.

However for those like me who are usually awake in the early hours most mornings, this site is worth checking out for some old style but good films to view in the comfort of your own house and its legal and free.

http://www.bnwmovies.com/genre/action

:biggrin: I saw 'The Exorcist' some years ago and considered it a brilliant film but the book was even better, more scarier and so well written; Writer: William Peter Blatty - I can well recommend for an engrossing read..........

Same with "Silence of the Lambs" I read the book first then saw the film. If it had been the other way round, I'd have been a bit jumpy.

I have never been a fan of Horror films, I just don't like the idea that the baddies can win!

I prefer thrillers, James Bond , Jack Ryan, comedy like Hancock, and future type stuff, I did watch Avatar (Downloaded) and I still have an unopened 'Blue ray' copy of it! I liked that one very much.

The ones I don't like are ones that are 'hyped' to death before release. I try to avoid these and certainly won't go to the flicks to watch them.

I took the family to watch "Planes" on the big screen in Telford a few weeks back, and although it's extremely predictable we all enjoyed it.

I found sinister not all that scary too.

The only thing that got me was paranormal activity 2 and more so with 3. But 4 completely ruined it and 1 was boring.

My wife is a big James Bond fan. My sons and I love all the Star Wars films. We all love Carry On films, St. Trinian's and all the old British black and white films. A good comedy helps me forget my troubles.

I can't stand Bond films or Science Fiction. Avatar was innovative in the characters but was so anti American and Global Industry that I soon got bored..

America might have ridden roughshod over lesser nations and races, but where would the world be without their aid and resources.

To be No1 in the world after only about 250 years of formation is nothing short of remarkable.

I prefer films with a good storyline, I'm not really bothered about special effects or endless action.

Probably my favourites are

Sergeant Yorke, The Usual Suspects, The Ladykillers, League of Gentlemen (original) most black&whites, Clint Eastwood films, always varied subjects and good stories,eg Beguiled, Play Misty for me, Grand Torino, Unforgiven etc etc.

You're right, I don't like any of the Bond leads. However, I will watch anything with Kiera Knightly in it , even Pirates of the Carribean. Sod the storyline .

I downloaded the latest Star Wars movie a few weeks back, we watched it shortly afterwars, it takes you back to the original crew when they were young and just starting out, I presume there will be sequels.... Not the best Star Trek.

Mama Mia was a bad movie, used ABBA music, cast was good, direction was good.

50 New Dates wasn't a bad movie.

I enjoyed the action movies Transporter, 1, 2and 3.

• Upvote 1

:biggrin: Watched both 'Bridget Jones' films on the TV recently; love the main character: Renee Zellweger is perfect for the role with her chubby face and a smile to brighten any dull day :biggrin:. And the adventures she has!: conquering all the hazards fate has in store for her.

Love the character Mark Darcy too; Colin Firth, so suited to the role: a staid Englishman, his manhood simmering under the surface - don't you just love his pleading eyes?

PS: So sorry that Helen Fielding in her latest book, decided not to pair these two off marriage wise; no doubt a future film will prove she was right. :biggrin:

My teenage grand-daughter loves Bridget jones Diaries films. Proper romantic she is. Have to keep an eye on her I think.

I like a good "horse opera" to...."The Cowboys" as the Duke said to Bruce Dern.... "Ya know Bruce, You'll always be known as the man who shot and killed John Wayne after this movie"

• Upvote 1

I love romantic films. My partner refuses to be in the room/house when I watch a romantic film or one of my favourite tear jerkers.

My sad film favourites are...

My sisters keeper.

Beaches.

Marley and me.

Ps I love you.

I'm not sure what it is, but having a good cry (even when I don't feel sad before) cheers me up a little. Must be a girly thing!

Watch "The Holiday" at Christmas if you like tear jerkers..... It's a Christmas movie.

I watched a Christmas film last year that left me in tears last year. Can't remember what it was called though... Could of been the one you suggested.