Ever wondered what it will be like in 50 years time?

In the 50's & 60's, science fiction programmes kind of predicted us wearing jet packs on our backs for transport. Nobody forsaw what the computer chip would do for the world.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re the price of a pint. 50 years ago it was about a bob (5p) now (for arguments sake ) we'll say it's 3 quid ie an increase of 60 fold, vis a vis a pint will be £180 ! Bugger that, I'm getting my shar

You are wrong there, Bilbraborn. Mandatory euthanasia and the bodies ground up and made into little green biscuits called Soylent Green! Then sold at a massive profit by our governments to feed th

As well as permanently rounded shoulders and a stoop. With a bit of luck, they may develop ESP so they won't even need to look up from their little screens to see where they're going. As for power,

Let's be real here. we have some amazing technology here and now. But you can't make people do what they don't want to do. I will say a lot is used for common good, especially in hospitals. But were mobile phones invented specifically to turn young people into zombies. Were TVs and computers invented to stop people getting exercise?

What I am trying to say is are we ever all going to use things for the good of our health and well being. There are people out there who need a good mobile phone without the complicated apps but with a large keyboard who just can't either afford it or understand it. My Dad for instance.

Whatever we have in the future, the last people to be considered will be the elderly and low paid.

Already we have people with the latest phones, TVs, computers etc pleading poverty.

I remember the excitement when we got BBC2 & 625 lines UHF interference free B&W pictures, (no more BBC1 being ruined by co-channel interference every summer) then colour, then ch4, then ch5, then freeview, now I've got a laptop & hardly watch telly, (SWMBO can watch her soaps in peace) I wonder whats next? 3D? No good to me as I'm blind in my left eye now, if they do bring in 3D wonder in I'll get a reduction on the licence?..

I like Ayup's idea of a grid powered by solar and wind generators with small backup "stations". However, the idea of long distance, high voltage, DC lines to make better use of hydro power in remote locations, or to offset the cost of fuel transportation, also has its merits. It was done in South Africa many years ago - the two DC "lines" (there was a pylon full) were over 1 mile apart!

Any freebies or concessions for the elderly or disabled are hard won and not given happily. What is more, they are always under threat of being removed, (sigh. you've started me off again)

Not my idea Eric, an idea from someone with a lot higher education than me. A conference was called earlier this year as the elec utilities are starting to "feel" pain in their bank accounts with all the solar/wind power being generated by "the little" people.

It's already putting pressure on the grid owners in reduced income to maintain the grid.

Interesting - but it shows how low their margins must be!

We have a reasonable size (56 turbines) wind farm a few miles from here. There was a lot of objections to them before they went in, but now that we have them, the general consensus is they are kind-of neat! I wish they would turn them off in the winter - the wind they make is awful cold (we refer to them as "the fans")!

Interestingly, they are located a few miles from a "pump-back" installation. Seems to me like the perfect symbiosis - pump water with the excess electricity when the wind is blowing, and use the water to supply demand when the wind is calm!

All horses and most dogs have to have a micro chip inserted, as a form of identification, how long will it be before some bright spark in some country, has the idea of removing the micro chip from passports and inserting them into their population, at birth..

They already do, if the parent consents....The government over here is pushing for all livestock to be tagged electronically right down to chickens, this will add thousands to the food bill annually.

#27 Bilbraborn. I got my parents a big number mobile phone for £30. It is simply a phone which will make/receive calls and text messages, no apps or anything remotely high tech. I got it for them as I was worried when they went on holidays and had no way of contacting anyone if they had a problem en route (My dad was 83 and still driving) It has been a godsend. It's simple to use and even my mum can operate it.

and will be born with enlarged thumbs and index fingers through over use of computers and mobile phones!

As well as permanently rounded shoulders and a stoop. With a bit of luck, they may develop ESP so they won't even need to look up from their little screens to see where they're going.

As for power, my hope would be that they finally crack nuclear fusion and get away from our dependency on oil and gas.

As an aside, when I think back to the changes my dad saw in his life, it must have been amazing to see how we progressed from the Wright brothers and Bleriot to Concorde and space travel, and from horseless carriages to 200mph supercars.

• Upvote 2

Thanks for that. If I got my dad one now the first thing he'd do is lose it. We regularly play this game called 'hunt the hearing aid'.

Anyway, if my experience is anything to go by, technology will mean slower. Every month I phone Tescos chemist to renew my prescription. The doctor's is just across the car park so someone used to walk across. The whole process took 3 days which was acceptable given that doctors do have other things to do. It has just gone electronic. I phoned on 13th September and it was ready last Tuesday. What a pig's ear.

Ever wondered what it will be like in 50 years time?

Have just climbed out of the Tardis after a quick trip to 2063 , and unfortunately folks you are all wrong. It's nothing like what you think it might be. What has actually happened is that Nottingham has taken over from London as the centre of the Universe. Many of the more Northern suburbs have become ghettos for the Fliegens and Amorphytes. Both being alien races, and those here being refugees from the intergalactic wars.

Fortunately the drain on the economy from the provision of benefits to these races never eventuated. The Fliegens have taken up residence down the sewers, so no housing requirement, and when feeling peckish they have a strong preference for the Amorphytes. Whereas the Amorphytes hang upside down from lampposts and like to barbeque the Fliegen young for afternoon tea.

• Upvote 2

Have just climbed out of the Tardis after a quick trip to 2063 , and unfortunately folks you are all wrong. It's nothing like what you think it might be. What has actually happened is that Nottingham has taken over from London as the centre of the Universe. Many of the more Northern suburbs have become ghettos for the Fliegens and Amorphytes. Both being alien races, and those here being refugees from the intergalactic wars.

Fortunately the drain on the economy from the provision of benefits to these races never eventuated. The Fliegens have taken up residence down the sewers, so no housing requirement, and when feeling peckish they have a strong preference for the Amorphytes. Whereas the Amorphytes hang upside down from lampposts and like to barbeque the Fliegen young for afternoon tea.

How much is a pint of bitter in 2063?

50 years into the future Mick, the way the crap is hitting the fan worldwide, 5 years is going to be interesting.

Look back 50 years and being told about Cell phones, I-pads, etc', and Nottingham going back to having trams :huh: