Ever wondered what it will be like in 50 years time?

Re the price of a pint. 50 years ago it was about a bob (5p) now (for arguments sake ) we'll say it's 3 quid ie an increase of 60 fold, vis a vis a pint will be £180 ! Bugger that, I'm getting my share now while I can afford it !

• Upvote 3
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re the price of a pint. 50 years ago it was about a bob (5p) now (for arguments sake ) we'll say it's 3 quid ie an increase of 60 fold, vis a vis a pint will be £180 ! Bugger that, I'm getting my shar

You are wrong there, Bilbraborn. Mandatory euthanasia and the bodies ground up and made into little green biscuits called Soylent Green! Then sold at a massive profit by our governments to feed th

As well as permanently rounded shoulders and a stoop. With a bit of luck, they may develop ESP so they won't even need to look up from their little screens to see where they're going. As for power,

No good stocking up now, love. They would have all gone flat well before 2063. Visions of Beefsteak with 200 pint pots on a table in front of him.

no im not thinking about 50 years time im 62 now will be 112 then more than likely be dead or unable to think about it anyway live for today as long as im paying my way and not got any debts im not bothered

• Upvote 1

Don't worry, in 50 years time they'll shove anybody who reaches 70 into a freezer and keep them there until they find a way of curing death. LOL.

You are wrong there, Bilbraborn.

Mandatory euthanasia and the bodies ground up and made into little green biscuits called Soylent Green!

Then sold at a massive profit by our governments to feed the masses - Right mick2me?????

• Upvote 3

This is a report from 1895 about what life would be like in the year 2000 .

Leeds Times

Publication date:Saturday 08 June 1895

Some of the last paragraph isn't that far out but 198 women to every man ???

10103997404_a426445203.jpg

10104076766_8c7e05f721.jpg

10104076186_a2a2e5c8a3.jpg

• Upvote 2

Women taking over would have been inconceivable to them then,..

and A woman Prime Minister!...They must have laughed there socks off at that one in 1895?

BMW and Mercedes-Benz have developed production-ready automated vehicles, which are capable of commuting on a driverless mode. They have chosen however to disable the functionality due to legislative and real-world imperatives restricting it to merely assist in traffic jam situations and parking manoeuvres. At the same time Google is making a step forward with its self-driving vehicle project. For a non-automotive participant, this creates sufficient attention for a participant such as Google moving outside its core competence.

• 1 month later...

Bump .

Wonder how long before we are dodging these drones making deliveries ? Amazon already testing them out !

Crash helmets might be necessary for pedestrians soon .

http://youtu.be/nCOjnOLopuk

Perhaps they can program them to do a Father Christmas bit, and drop your parcels down your chimney. Now that would be a giggle.

Also the slight monetary cost of losing a plastic sandwich box on every delivery !

I'm with RBS, just had a letter confirming that the proposed takeover by Santander had fallen through, and that a consortium had been formed and a plan had been formulated to take over RBS. The new name would be William & Glyns. That's not far off how it was over fifty years ago when I joined the William Deacons branch on Bramcote Lane which itself became William & Glyns.

I await the consequences with fear and trepidation .

• Upvote 1
  • 5 weeks later...

It's the New Year and time for predictions . This was posted on another site , showing predictions that weren't quite correct :

''The Bomb will never go off, I speak as an expert in explosives."

- - Admiral William Leahy , US Atomic Bomb Project

"There is no likelihood man can ever tap the power of the atom."

-- Robert Millikan, Nobel Prize in Physics, 1923

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."

-- Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."

-- Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

"I have travelled the length and breadth of this country and talked with the best people, and I can assure you that data processing is a fad that won't last out the year."

-- The editor in charge of business books for Prentice Hall, 1957

"But what is it good for?"

-- Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968, commenting on the microchip.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody."

-- Bill Gates, 1981

This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us"

-- Western Union internal memo, 1876.

"The wireless music box has no imaginable commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"

-- David Sarnoff's associates in response to his urgings for investment in the radio in the 1920s.

"The concept is interesting and well-formed, but in order to earn better than a 'C,' the idea must be feasible"

-- A Yale University management professor in response to Fred Smith's paper proposing reliable overnight delivery service. (Smith went on to found Federal Express Corp.)

"I'm just glad it'll be Clark Gable who's falling on his face and not Gary Cooper"

-- Gary Cooper on his decision not to take the leading role in "Gone With The Wind."

"We don't like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out"

-- Decca Recording Co. rejecting the Beatles, 1962.

"Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible"

-- Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

"If I had thought about it, I wouldn't have done the experiment. The literature was full of examples that said you can't do this"

- - Spencer Silver on the work that led to the unique adhesives for 3-M "Post-It" Notepads.

"Drill for oil? You mean drill into the ground to try and find oil? You're crazy"

-- Drillers who Edwin L. Drake tried to enlist to his project to drill for oil in 1859.

"Stocks have reached what looks like a permanently high plateau."

- - Irving Fisher, Professor of Economics, Yale University , 1929.

"Airplanes are interesting toys but of no military value"

-- Marechal Ferdinand Foch, Professor of Strategy, Ecole Superieure de Guerre , France .

"Everything that can be invented has been invented"

-- Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, US Office of Patents, 1899.

"The super computer is technologically impossible. It would take all of the water that flows over Niagara Falls to cool the heat generated by the number of vacuum tubes required."

-- Professor of Electrical Engineering, New York University

"I don't know what use any one could find for a machine that would make copies of documents. It certainly couldn't be a feasible business by itself."

-- the head of IBM, refusing to back the idea, forcing the inventor to found Xerox.

"The abdomen, the chest, and the brain will forever be shut from the intrusion of the wise and humane surgeon,"

-- Sir John Eric Ericksen, British surgeon, appointed Surgeon-Extraordinary to Queen Victoria 1873.

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."

-- Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977

• Upvote 1

If we carry on the way we are, we will be an overpopulated mostly uneducated third world country ruled by the iron fist of mandarins in the Palace of Brussels.

This was on the news yesterday , a piece written by Isaac Asimov in 1964 about what life would be like 50 years ahead in 2014 .

Some is way off the mark such as people living underwater on the continental shelf but other ideas were remarkably accurate .

Communications will become sight-sound and you will see as well as hear the person you telephone. The screen can be used not only to see the people you call but also for studying documents and photographs and reading passages from books. Synchronous satellites, hovering in space will make it possible for you to direct-dial any spot on earth

http://www.nytimes.com/books/97/03/23/lifetimes/asi-v-fair.html

• Upvote 1