Ever wondered what it will be like in 50 years time?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re the price of a pint. 50 years ago it was about a bob (5p) now (for arguments sake ) we'll say it's 3 quid ie an increase of 60 fold, vis a vis a pint will be £180 ! Bugger that, I'm getting my shar

You are wrong there, Bilbraborn. Mandatory euthanasia and the bodies ground up and made into little green biscuits called Soylent Green! Then sold at a massive profit by our governments to feed th

As well as permanently rounded shoulders and a stoop. With a bit of luck, they may develop ESP so they won't even need to look up from their little screens to see where they're going. As for power,

Brilliant! Especially the bit about the Welsh.

Well since I was born a little over 50 years ago, here's a list of big changes/new inventions, I can think of. (With out stating space travel as somebody may tell me I imagined it all!)

Mobile phones. Video recorders/DVD/Blueray. Video games. Computers / internet etc. Digital cameras.

At the moment, everybody looks back to the "good old days" when they were kids, which on this site is chiefly around 40/50 years ago.

In 50 years time, today's kids will be looking back to 2013 and thinking "they were the good old days when I was a kid".

But at the moment, all today's oldies will tell you that 2013 is terrible compared to the past.

Dread to think Mick, the miserable thought is that at least we wont be around to experience it, though some on here will. What's the succession plan for Nottstalgia ? :unsure: Who is being groomed to carry on the work ?

I had an old boys encyclopaedia from the 1940s...unfortunately long lost.I remember one chapter was about what it would be like in the future.they were a bit wrong about a lot of stuff...wish I had it for the pictures.

One hilarious picture showed New York in the 1980s...everybody was buzzing round the tops of the skyscrapers in tiny planes...and on top of a tower was a cop directing the traffic :biggrin: Quite how one of these prop powered small planes would come to a stop if he held his hand up I'm not sure.

However,in the 'funny papers' during the war was a private dick called Dick Tracey...look what he had on his wrist!

q596.jpg

Dread to think Mick, the miserable thought is that at least we wont be around to experience it, though some on here will. What's the succession plan for Nottstalgia ? :unsure: Who is being groomed to carry on the work ?

What do you mean you are not going to be around... I'd got you lined up fer it :)

Seriously, its good to see we do get some younger members with an interest in local history...

If you are reading this in 2063... I, (with the help of a few others) used to run the place... :)

I think quantum computing will make present day computers like reciprocating steam engines are today i.e. quaint old technology.... Unless; quantum computers are being used by NSA, GCHQ, Mosad, KGB ect & it's all ultra top secret & Joe & Joanna Public know nowt about it...

Beefsteak. My Dad thought blueray was a star in a dodgy movie. Seriously though. Richard Branson's descendants will be continuing his work with holidays in space. All todays youngsters will be stone deaf after 50 years of wearing an earpiece with loud music. But I don't believe that Climate Change will have made much difference.

Today we have all the electronic gubbins the youngsters could wish for, but what happens when the machine breaks? Most teenagers want to become a celeb' and certainly see future in getting their hands dirty. They way things are tending, we will have a nation of 'wanna bes', 'experts' in media studies and those not in these fields will teach it!

Just how bad can it get? :)

Diphtheria, Small pox, Polio, Flu pandemics, Scarlet Fever, Measles, Mumps, German Measles, Polio, to name but a few.

All brought here by immigrants!

• Upvote 1

I used to be an advocate of euthanasia until I reached 60,now I'm not so fond of the idea.

• Upvote 1

I used to be an advocate of euthanasia until I reached 60,now I'm not so fond of the idea.

Any miserable gits over the age of 60 sounds like a good idea to me !

slywink

Of course nobody was dying of any of those diseases before we started importing foreigners by the ship load!

In technology since I first started work in the mining industry, higher voltages, electronics first appeared underground in my teens, the NCB tried ROLF out, abject failure and cost them millions...ROLF = Remotely Operated Longwall Face....A dream of faces with no men on them.

I said as recently as five years back...NEVER in my lifetime, now it's a reality, Catapillar, who own what used to be the British Company Anderson Strathclyde, have pioneered ROLF and are selling the technology.

Cassett tape recorder/players, boy were they expensive when they came out!! Digital wrist watches, smaller and smaller radio transmitters, see the ones the police etc use today! Original mobile phones, huge toolbox size that only worked in designated zones, then cell phone technology was developed by the Chicago Amateur Radio Society by a bunch of hams who worked for motorola.

Semi conductor chips, with which we wouldn't have our modern world, liquid crystals, for our watch dial faces, flat screen TV's, Android devices etc..

GPS, I still use maps....LOL

And not forgetting THE INTERNET!

I thought smallpox was a dead disease????

I'll stick my neck out and say superconducters and DC high voltage transmission lines will never happen, costs would be prohibitive.

As one Professor said over here during a convention of the power generators and utilities, the future is "local grid" powered by everyone's wind/solar generating sets with a small generating station for when there's no sun/wind.

He stated the grid as we know it will be gone.