What's for tea?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We're currently in a small seaside coastal town in mid Western Australia, been here for several weeks so our main diet has been fish, steamed fish, fried fish, fish cakes, in fact a hundred and one w

Today I picked a crop of lovely Parasol fungus from the local wood. I made mushroom soup and a stuffing for a pumpkin. I had sweet corn, followed by wild mushroom soup and then pumpkin stuffed with ch

Hope you enjoy them as much as us, it took me nearly two hours to make them and five minutes to eat them. mmmm Lovely. Worth every minute.

Darkazana: I would like to see your scone recipe, please - may I?

You certainly may, Compo. It's on the Scon or scone thread. That's if you haven't already found it. Thanks Carni, just seen your reply!!! thumbsup

We're having home made minestrone soup. And maybe something I've just made as well. Just testing the filling I made last year. I thought I'd give mince pies a try being as my youngest grand-daughter asked me too. It should be alright, there's plenty of brandy in the filling. I hope I'm not guilty of getting her drunk.

Ok, chicken pasta is on hold till tomorrow.

We're having a take away while watching a DVD later with little lady. Maybe a pizza, she'll have some with us as its a very rare treat for her. It's been a while since we had a take away, after the fair we both have abit of money left over so thought why not treat ourselves! :)

Spanish omelette tonight - with fresh field mushrooms from up the garden hedgerow.

Tonight I'm currently cooking a roast, roasting tatties, fresh parsnips, butternut squash. Roasting lamb chops with fresh mint & boiling potatoes for mash and sweet corn. Lovely autumn colours... Looks delish!

Did the same as my last post this evening, 'sept I put a little honey on the parsnips and I used a harliquin squash (much tastier than butternut!) Used a little fry light instead of oil and it had much more flavour than using oil.

To follow - some home made birthday cake from our neighbors little ones first birthday, yum!

Much needed after a day of hard work!

Thought I would share with you all my intentions for dinner/tea - evening meal. Yes it's kangaroo sausages, or more commonly known here as Kanga Bangas. With fried onions in a wholemeal bread roll and lashings of hot English mustard. That should make the kangaroo sit up.

kangabangas.jpg

• Upvote 2

Absolutely. And didn't half taste nice. The snags were very chewy due the density of the meat. :)

(Snags is Ozzie for sausages)

When I was littlie dinner was what you ate at the middle of the day, and tea in the evening. Not sure what it is over there now. But nowadays I tend to think of dinner being when I eat in the evening and at the middle of day, lunch.

• Upvote 1

My lot are having my home made Chicken Soup tonight , with great noggins of "Oktober fest" bread.

Boiled down carcass of Sundays Chicken, the left over Chicken and stuffing and some veg thrown in with a stock pot and the left over gravy.

Don't knock it, it takes two days for me to make it one handed!

• Upvote 1

Sounds abso fabbo. Have you got any spare.I also make Chicken Soup with the carcass and you have to try it to realise how tasty it is. I hope they all appreciate your hard work ( i'm sure they do) especially as you are injured. hope you are better soon.

PS Whar is "Oktober fest" bread, cos i wont sum.

PS Whar is "Oktober fest" bread, cos i wont sum.

It's like a really big crusty cob. Morrisons only seem to sell it around this time of year. They sell it in what must be a quarter of a loaf.

Boiled down carcass of Sundays Chicken, the left over Chicken and stuffing and some veg thrown in with a stock pot and the left over gravy.

I still try to maintain the traditions of my family from way back. Typically when we had the grandparents, a few uncles and aunts and as many kids as we could muster, we would have two large roast chickens for a Sunday dinner. And the tradition was to sit around the table chewing on the bones, and nattering. Half would up and leave the table before this stage, but those who stayed never seemed to have dental problems. The bone chewers that is.

Even now, living alone, I will remove any excess meat from a chicken to the fridge, and then chew on the bone ends. At seventy I still have all my own teeth, minus one removed. Never buy breast or 'fillets', always cutlets which are the chicken bits with the bones still attached. In truth, my favourite parts are the bones, especially the knobly white ends of leg bones. Even when they have been in the stock pot, before consigning them to the bin I will chew the ends.

Yet Australians I know aren't bone chewers. Must be an English thing, possibly even a Notts speciality. Any other bone chewers here? Do the same with other meats as well. Pork spare ribs - heaven.

We had a Jamaican curry, packed with veggies - potatoes, broccoli, pea's, peppers, onions and mushrooms with chopped chicken breast. Served with rice + black eyed pea's boiled together in chicken stock.

Yum!

Re Alisons post at #43 (And nothing to brag about I know) but I once won a bet regarding eating a "family bucket" of Kentucky Fried Chicken,

Just after the one on Parliament Street opened I was 'on the town' with a few work mates and the subject of KFC and the lack of meat on their portions came up, I'd said that there was less meat on their biggest pieces than in out local chippy and i could probably eat a BB all in one go! The bet was I had to eat it all ! I ate the chicken ok but I saw the looks the mates who had bet me were giving each other. Knowing they weren't going to pay up, I then started eating the bones too! at which point they payed up, in their hurry to 'distance' themselves from me they failed to notice I hadn't eaten the (Now very cold) chips !

PS 10 quid was a lot of money back in 1978!

Chilli for us tonight, not that we're creatures of habit or anything but every Wednesday is Chilli, red wine and an action film. Tonights offering being Commando (because we like the corny ones!!!)

Pie, chips and beans on a Wednesday in Ches Beefsteak, as we all go swimming today and it's something quick and easy.

I get them off the pie counter in Morrisons on a Sunday (4 for 85 p, but that's another story)

This week it was Chicken and Leek wedges for SWMBO and I, Cheese and Onion pastie for Adam and our Charlotte had a Chicken, Leek and Bacon pastie. 25 p tin of Morrisons Baked Beans, and £1.50's worth of chips, voila meal for 4 for £2.35 !!

DSCF1470.jpg

mmmm home made scotch eggs

6 s/med cold hard boiled eggs

6 skinned thick sausages

1/2 beaten eggs

crushed cornflakes

cover each egg with 1,rolled out sausage on floured board, dip in beaten egg and cover in crushed corn flakes and repeat this line

deep fry in oil,gentle heat for about 6/8 minutes

don't have the oil to hot or they will burn before cooked through GOOD LUCK :)