What's for tea?

Alison,

You have made me fancy some prawns. It has been a long time since i had some fresh ones and sat to top and tail them, they are so much tastier bought whole.

Carni, ½ Kg of fresh, never frozen, Australian king prawns, purchased yesterday and eaten in their entirety today. Don't eat cakes, choccies, sweets, biscuits, etc. etc. but do enjoy my seafood. One of my little treats when I need a bit of an uplift. I would send you some, but they would be a little bit funny by time they go there. So all I can do is send a photo. Next time it will before I eat them. :)

Lived for quite a few years in Cairns, Far North Queensland. Used to go down to the fish docks where the prawn trawlers land their catch. You could buy prawns fresh off the boats, and sit on the sea wall and eat them. Once scoffed a whole kg, washed down with a shared bottle of white wine. It was a beautiful tropical summers evening. Memories of frangipanni and hibiscus scent on the breeze.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We're currently in a small seaside coastal town in mid Western Australia, been here for several weeks so our main diet has been fish, steamed fish, fried fish, fish cakes, in fact a hundred and one w

Today I picked a crop of lovely Parasol fungus from the local wood. I made mushroom soup and a stuffing for a pumpkin. I had sweet corn, followed by wild mushroom soup and then pumpkin stuffed with ch

Hope you enjoy them as much as us, it took me nearly two hours to make them and five minutes to eat them. mmmm Lovely. Worth every minute.

Did some fireworks for visiting grandchildren last night, so did Bonfire food to go with them...... Pumpkin soup (Utilising the innards of the pumpkin lantern) Hotdogs using Lincolnshire sausages, mushy peas and mint sauce, cheesey jacket potatoes followed by good old sticky gingerbread (The rest is for pud today with custard) thumbsup

:biggrin: I see there's some home made chicken soup with noodles left in the pantry; 'waste not, want not', that's my philosophy, so you know what I'll be having for tea tonight! :biggrin:

PS: Bought a fresh chicken from Iceland the other day, cost: £3 - a real bargain; cooked it in the slow cooker with carrots, onions, sweet potatoes, stock, herbs and flavourings.

Result: Delicious, lots of meat and tasty; served me for three days plus the chicken soup I made from the carcass...............

PPS: Can well recommend the chickens from Iceland........

PPS: Can well recommend the chickens from Iceland........?

Long way to go for a chicken...................

They fly over on their own. You just have to catch them. :)

Tonight, to celebrate my new and first job since having little one. Chippy tea from Olympic in netherfield, washed down with a nice cold beer!

• Upvote 2

Prezzas for an Italian, good food, great service and reasonably priced.

Tonight, to celebrate my new and first job since having little one. Chippy tea from Olympic in netherfield, washed down with a nice cold beer!

What is the job Pixie?

:biggrin: After I've done my piano practice, I'm going to make:

1 Soup with left over veg.

2 Steamed apple with the last of the fruit from my trees.

3 A milk pudding, being as I've quite a bit of milk to use before it goes off; now then should it be: rice, ground rice, semolina or macaroni? Must admit, I do have a penchant for milk puddings - favourite being tapioca; must be left over from my childhood when my mum spoilt us by serving a pudding every day. :biggrin:

PS: was lucky enough to find a small pack of ground nutmeg the other day in one of Bulwell's bargain shops - this spice has become so expensive.

Has to be rice pudding every time. Nicely browned in the oven so that there are crispy bits around the rim of the bowl - yummy!

:hungr:

:biggrin: Crispy bits around the rice pudding bowl are real tasty - mouth's watering as I write. lips0

PS: Doing my best to make: 2,800 before tea time; made a semolina pudding with Barbados sugar and honey - looking forward to this..............

A milk pudding, being as I've quite a bit of milk to use before it goes off; now then should it be: rice, ground rice, semolina or macaroni? Must admit, I do have a penchant for milk puddings - favourite being tapioca; must be left over from my childhood when my mum spoilt us by serving a pudding every day. :biggrin:

Ah, the days when all that foreign stuff - rice, macaroni, vermicelli, etc were only good for puddings made with milk. :)

What is the job Pixie?

Local pub, loving being back behind a bar!

steak and kidney pie with chips, peas and gravy , followed by spotted dick and custard, my wife cooked it as a treat, because I have been chopping logs and stacking them all day.

Despite being French she cooks English cusine well...

• Upvote 2
  • 3 months later...

Pancake Day today.

How will you be having yours? Any special recipes out there?

Do you flip or toss?

We have had ours today, and it was just oranges this time, though I have been known to serve them with a chicken curry filling, blackberries in a lemon sauce and banana with ice cream and maple syrup (my personal favourite)....not all on the same one. I tend to make traditional pancakes as a savoury and the thicker variety for sweet pancakes. And I always toss!!

Which then comes onto Lent...are you planning on giving anything up, or will you do something extra?

• Upvote 1

I'm still trying albeit unsuccessfully to stick to my New Year resolutions. I might try and give up swearing, but I'll still be an opinionated, bigoted, racist, homophobic barsteward (only joking) LOL

• Upvote 1