What's for tea?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We're currently in a small seaside coastal town in mid Western Australia, been here for several weeks so our main diet has been fish, steamed fish, fried fish, fish cakes, in fact a hundred and one w

Today I picked a crop of lovely Parasol fungus from the local wood. I made mushroom soup and a stuffing for a pumpkin. I had sweet corn, followed by wild mushroom soup and then pumpkin stuffed with ch

Hope you enjoy them as much as us, it took me nearly two hours to make them and five minutes to eat them. mmmm Lovely. Worth every minute.

I only have to say Scotch Eggs and half a dozen hands go up in the air, at two each and extra for friends, they certainly keep me busy. :) Not particularly healthy so i only make them occasionally. Mind you i can put three away. Lol :rolleyes:

DSCF1470.jpg

mmmm home made scotch eggs

6 s/med cold hard boiled eggs

6 skinned thick sausages

1/2 beaten eggs

crushed cornflakes

cover each egg with 1,rolled out sausage on floured board, dip in beaten egg and cover in crushed corn flakes and repeat this line

deep fry in oil,gentle heat for about 6/8 minutes

don't have the oil to hot or they will burn before cooked through GOOD LUCK :)

Would this still work if I just bought sausage meat rather sausages?

Yes absolutely fine, i only use sausages because we like a particular brand, try not to put it on too thick or you will have a job cooking it through before it starts to burn. Alternatively, you can cook in the oven to be a bit healthier but the may split open. Good Luck.

Thanks. I shall have a go sometime soon. I usually make an excellent job of something new the first time I try - second time a total **** up !

Bought some salmon and sliced it open from the side. Added in mozzarella and a dollop of green pesto & baked. Served with baby tatties & a leafy salad.

Tray of lamb cutlets marinated in Moroccan seasoning, bbq'ed and served with a fresh green salad and Yogurt dips. (last nights tea)

Mmmmmmm!

:biggrin: I enjoy rifling through my pantry, see what there is to cook that's healthy for me, also it's good for the imagination; let's see now what can I make with: cucumber salmon, pasta, green pesto, garlic, onions?

PS: Definately steamed fruit for afters............. :biggrin:

PPS: I've been upping up my garlic intake recently; good for Winter's coughs, colds, flu etc - who cares if it makes my breathe strong? Love the stuff..................

:biggrin: I enjoy rifling through my pantry, see what there is to cook that's healthy for me, also it's good for the imagination; let's see now what can I make with: cucumber salmon, pasta, green pesto, garlic, onions?

My definition of the difference between a chef and a cook. A chef takes a recipe and then goes out and buys everything necessary to make the dish. Often picking the very best of each ingredient.. Whereas a cook can go to her pantry, scratch her head a few times, take out whatever is available and prepare a memorable meal. Cooks are creative, chefs just do it by rote. Proud to call myself a cook.

• Upvote 1

:biggrin: Hi Alison, good of you to get back and such a lovely compliment......... :biggrin:

Here's one for you: Gordon Ramsay said that he could always judge a good cook by what they could do with the leftovers; consider myself a dab hand at this - suppose you are too? :biggrin:

Using left overs today. Some puff pastry from the freezer, left over mozzarella + pesto.

Spread pesto on the middle of pastry, add slices of mozzarella & tomato, bake and serve with a salad :)

Hey Carni, ever tried that with soft boiled eggs? I had a Heston Blumenthol (whatever) recipe for them. I've lost it now , but you boiled your eggs for only about a minute and then ran them under the cold tap to stop them cooking. you then wrapped them in the sausage meat and cooked them . When you cut into them the egg was lovely and still slightl runny. Slurp slurp!

Beefsteak,

Your Scotch Eggs recipe sounds interesting, i will try your way next time i make some. I am a messy so and so when i cook, so it will be interesting to see the results when i try to make them with soft boiled eggs. :)

Saw one of Heston Blumenthol's cooking shows where he showed how to guarantee a perfect boiled egg.

The egg(s) were brought just to the boil, then taken off the heat and a lid placed on the pan and left for 6 mins exactly, then served or cooled in cold water to prevent further cooking.

We tried it and it works perfectly as the white is cooked but remains tender (if thats the right word) and the yolks are runny, just right for dipping the soldiers in !

This method could be used for the scotch eggs ala runny yolks.

Tea last evening was pork belly, slow cooked on the bbq away from direct heat for 3 hours ! then placed on a bed of home made sage and onion stuffing in a shallow tray and served when the stuffing had just started to crisp around the edges, about another 40 mins.

All served with mash and steamed veggies -- yumma !

The pork had lost most of the fat during cooking but was still moist and just fell apart !

The reason you stop the cooking immediately is because they cook again when you're baking the sausage meat coating.

• 2 weeks later...

Alisoncc #72,

You have made me fancy some prawns. It has been a long time since i had some fresh ones and sat to top and tail them, they are so much tastier bought whole. I always think back to the 'Old Market' opposite 'Huntingdon St Bus Station'. Mam would take us in there every week for something off the fish stall or hot pea stall, it was a treat we looked forward to: Cockles, Whelks, Mussels, Shrimps and not forgetting the Winkles, i remember trying to get the Winkle out of the shell whole, with a pin or hair grip, mostly leaving the nice soft end bit in the shell.

I am sure the poorer people would have a recipe for the head and tail remains, Alisoncc, so long as they are not poisonous, i imagine you could some kind of delicious Prawn soup or broth with a few veg thrown in, and even feed some hungry pet.

fch782c, That's it! Bubble and Squeek for us this morning, Mmmmm, we love it :)

• Upvote 1