Anybody remember St Faiths Youth Club round about 1963.

Fantastic sound system and dancing around handbags. Gene Pitney, Everlys, Elvis and all the rest.

I met my dear beloved from Kirkby St. there and married next door 9 years later.

...and the motorbikes racing up past the bus garages to Trent Bridge.

An era,

Don't get me started.

Andy Bones

Chequered Flag

The New Bridge Inn

and Godfrey Winn on the radio saying ' Crocus Street, the Meadows - what a delightful address !'

B.

• Upvote 1

My first job was assistant lab technician at Mundella Grammar School in September 1967. I hated it there and transferred to St. Bernadettes early in 1968.. I started on a salary of £20 a month I still have my first pay slip.

Went to St Faiths youth club a few times, can't remember much about it though. There was a club or sumat on Wilford Crescent, you went up some wooden stairs to it, I think it burned down. I used to go to Bridgway Hall to listen to the jukebox, the song Zabadak by Dave, Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Titch cost me quite a few tanners because my crush liked it. (Janet something or other from Bunbury street)..

Some of my mates used to go there before they were old enough to drink, lost contact with all but one of them and his wife.

We used to use the church hall for something, but can't for the life of me remember what. Mind you there was no way I would have wanted to hang around anything to do with school when I didn't have to.

Is this the same as Santa Fa'? mentioned elsewhere here?

I think the club on Wilford Crescent you are referring to is the 'Carousel Club' also mentioned elsewhere here

And welcome BryanC :)

Yep - I stand corrected. It was called Santa Fe but I don't remember the steps, it was just one big black corrugated iron shed. I think the DJ was the only guy who was half a level up. Twin record decks too.

Obviously it was St Faiths next door where I tied the knot.

Was it the youth club on Thursday and Saturday nights ? I brought my Bread and Lard mates down and many a romance began there.

The nice ladies went to Trent Bridge Girls school. Katie Gay from off Woolmer Road and Linda Davenport from off the Crescent, I wonder if they are reading this ?. Oh happy days.

I certainly didn't go to the Carousel Club on the Crescent, but if I see a twinkle in your eye, think I encountered the same Amber Vandella at a Newark Rugby Club 'Choir-boys' supper. Ahem...but it couldn't have been the same person cos when I saw that one, she had no clothes on !

My wife, Michelle ( RIP 2009 ) lived on Kirkby Street and I used to run for the last Barton bus home to Ryehill Street and London Road. On Kirkby Street there was the barber ( 'anything for the weekend sir - err no, cos that's my future father in law in the next chair' ) and the Beer Offie on the corner of Bunbury Street, where the guy behind the counter did Shippo's nut brown in quart bottles, served with the perforated copper counter tray, and when you gave him the money, his out-stetched palm was tattooed 'Thankyou'. My mother in law, Nellie, said he was 'batchy' in the head !' Thats a Nottingham expression for you.

My Father in Law, Fred threw a pretty mean dart at the New Bridge Inn. He was a lorry driver so never went mid-week, but when free at weekends made up for lost time and loved his Shippo's. There was a few times I had to go and find him to say dinner was on the table.

He was one of the first rehoused onto Hobart Crescent in the new houses - at last we said goodbye to the out-house loo with candles in winter to try to keep the pan from freezing.

I went back a couple of years ago and the Primary School now stands where I enjoyed those moments of passion saying goodbye each night. I admit there was a tear in my eye, partly from sadness and mainly from the good memories I carry with me.

Me and 'Shell' saved hard to move out, and we used to trudge the streets while courting, holding hands and the whole of the meadows was our evening walk.

it was a great big family in those days, and they adopted me as an outsider, such that I still see old acquaintances from nearly 50 years ago who remain friends to this day.

• Upvote 2

I did manage to make contact with Terry Hefford the DJ some years ago.

He corrected me in the spelling as it being called 'Santa Fa'

Only today did i catch on why it was called that 'Saint Faith's'

See Also...

Terry Hefford - Santa Fe' DJ

Santa Fe' Club Mundella Road,

Memories are made of such stuff as this I remember St Faiths well from 1962/63 Had to go to the church on Sunday evening to get into the club afterwards dancing to Neil Sedaka Oh Carol the foot stamp at the end nearly used to bring the place down

Bryan C Sounds like you found a good meadows lass .Incidentlywas the offie on corner of bunbury st the same shop that sold that uncut fresh bread that was warm when you brought it toasted over the fire with the toasting fork you made in mr marciniaks class then adding aspread of dripping with asprinkle of salt sorry getting carried away but it really was a delight i remember to this day.

Bryan C

You have a good memory. Took me back. Remember Kate gay very well-lived two doors from me. Also recall Linda Davenport.

Yes the youth club was a Thursday and Saturday. Also like Deeps I initially attended St Faiths church as the youth club was on a Sunday after Evensong. This was changed by the vicar ( Revd Whalley ) as some of the congregation complained about 'all those teenagers just coming to church for the youth club' !

I think it was a shilling to go in to Sante Fe and 9 pence for a coke or something.

Very happy memories.

kind regards,

Tony

• 3 weeks later...

Used to go to St Faiths dances in a plastic Rocker leather jacket that used to go soft near the heaters,also bought an Itom 50cc motor bike from Andy Bones.Rockers laughted at us so we turned mod

• 4 weeks later...

Isn`t St Faiths a posh private school now? Amazing that private enterprise can put a school there and make it pay, when next door they had the most superb building,surrounded by acres of playing fields in the most ideal location

with brand new science labs and assembly hall with 6th form building. Not forgetting the river and cricket and football venues close by.

Now the site is occupied with ugly little matchboxes. Boy,must some brown envelopes changed hands.

• Upvote 1

uncut fresh bread that was warm when you brought it toasted over the fire with the toasting fork you made in mr marciniaks

I remember making one of those... I hope you 'oil blued' it, heated in the forge then dropped in the can of waste oil in the corner. I can still smell it now after all these years.

• 8 months later...

I remember the Santa Fe - I was a Mundella girl and my mum wouldnt let me go so I used to 'fib'about where I was going.... remember listening to Double Barrel and the Upsetters - really amazing music in those days. It was always dark and when the lights came on you realised how tacky the floor was... I remember the vicar going round making sure we were all ok as well, I'm now 57 so perhaps some of you went when I did???

• 2 months later...

Caeperthi if your 57 and a Mundella girl I would think you know Linda Taylor, Tony Brothwell and George Bowery who would have been there at the same time.

Failed the 11+ so went to Roland Green Bilateral as it was officially called then.

Remember Santa Fe also having a stage with pinball machines and table football, winners stayed on.

Great times great memories

• Upvote 1