There's something here from a WW11 diary . You'll have to scroll through to select the Skeg / Lincs bombings from the other war stories :

http://www.ambridgebooks.co.uk/mayhilldiaryblog/?s=bombed

• Upvote 2

I have a book somewhere about the Mablethorpe railway and I'm pretty sure it is mentioned in there. I seem to remember something about a bomb landing on or near the railway north of Mablethorpe station and I think, but I may be wrong, that there was some involvement with one of the kids holiday homes situated along there. I have a bit of a busy day ahead of me so I will look it up this evening.

Difficult to find news stories as they happened of any wartime bombings in Skegness , as I guess for propaganda purposes it didn't look good reporting death and destruction .

There is this article in the EP from Oct. 1944 which goes back and summarises the earlier raids of the war years on Skeggy .

Says Skegness had 387 alerts number and 144 H.E. bombs ( High Explosive ?) dropped , weighing 18 tons and an unknown number of incendiaries .

36 people killed and 181 injured .

Never heard of a "flower pot" bomb .

10080835815_921d5fde79.jpg

10080835875_bb0c0c18bd.jpg

• Upvote 1

In the book titled 'The Louth, Mablethorpe and Willoughby Loop by A J Ludlam, P47, we are told that one morning a German bomber followed the railway line from Sutton to Mablethorpe. The 8.20 from Louth was standing in the station, the train was machine gunned but without casualties. The plane then unloaded it's bombs killing two cows and demolishing a bungalow. Some of the bombs landed on the railway sidings. From the bungalow a baby was blown onto the railway but was so well wrapped up it was unhurt. a boy picked up the baby and took it to the Leicester Children's home near Golf road.

There are also references to zeppelins in WWI. It is a very interesting book published by Oakwood press in 1987. ISBN 0 85361 354 0

• Upvote 1