Buried, burnt, eaten, frozen or donated to science.

With graveplots becoming in short supply in many countries, the days when you could be assured of a plot in the local church graveyard with a headstone have long since passed. So what would be your choice when the time comes? Especially if your imagination knew no bounds.

Buried up on Kinder Scout; or placed on a high platform in the Himalayas and your bones picked clean by vultures. Perhaps have your body frozen in liquid nitrogen and then stored in the hope that you can be recusitated in the future, or donated to science for medical students to dismember. Cremated and your ashes carried into space on a rocket.

My preference, gotta be a Viking burial. Laid out in a Viking long boat with all my worldly goods surrounding me, and food and drink for the journey. Pitch poured over it and then pushed out to sea and set alight. Oh! Need lots of bonfires up and down the coast to let me people know of my passing.

I'm happy to be cremated. My missis asked where I wanted my ashes and she blushed when I told her. So I settled for anywhere on the GCR London extension. I'm not bothered. I'll be too busy haunting the b------s who have bugged me over the years. You're a long time dead. Got to have some fun.

I think being cremated is so unnatural, it's the only way I can explain it. Seeing my dad's ashes really upset me, how he's a complete person one day and in a tub as ashes the next. No, not normal and I can't bring myself to seeing them again. So Iv told everyone I do not want cremating.

I want to be stuffed and stuck in wollaton hall or anoher museum as a fine example of human! Joking of course.

I'd like to be buried in a cemetery like the one just outside of newstead village. My close friend was buried there recently and it's one of the most beautiful, peaceful places I know of. I'm even tempted to save the money for a plot just to make sure I have somewhere to be buried.

• Upvote 1

My wife has a family grave and would not be cremated. The way my body is going There won't be much left to cremate. Anyway I don't want local authorities tipping my stone over and all sorts of creatures using me for Sunday dinner. No I'll pollute the atmosphere. My last defiant stand against the loony green policies.

I agree with Pixie, cremation isn't nice but the problem with burial is if there are no relatives to tend the grave and they become unkempt and forgotten.

I've heard too about Britain apparently running out of burial space in less than twenty years time.

The authorities are worried it could lead to a wave of panic dying!

• Upvote 2

I think cremation is for me, I can get the missus to spread my ashes on this nice bit of land.

• Upvote 1

The thought of my loved ones rotting under six feet of earth never appealed to me.

I have no wish to visit a memorial stone, stuck in the ground as some kind of remembrance.

Jokingly, I tell my wife to buy a cheap rowboat, throw me in, with a soaking of petrol, light me up and float me out on the outgoing tide.

But in reality, my preference is to be cremated,and my ashes scattered in the 'Shenandoah Valley,Virginia,.It's the most beautiful place I have visited in America,

Now I don't know if this is entirely true.. but in 100 years if you have no relatives etc, your grave is dug and removed to make way for someone else to be buried?

I did like the idea of what is known as an "Ariel Burial" where your body is taken to the top of a big mountain, cut up and thrown to the Condors to feed on. But there ain't many big mountains round here , now I come to think about it there ain't that many Condors either.

• Upvote 1

I have an interest in old churches. When I go and take photographs I can't help but realise how unkempt some of the graveyards are. And look what they have done to the graves at St. Peter's church in Radford.

A wicker casket for me and in a forest, no headstone needed, and no need to tend the grave, just let everything grow naturally. Though I do like the idea of being put on a mountain top for the birds. But whichever it is putting something back into the earth.

And how about reincarnation. Do you believe you will come back again? What would you fancy?

Personally I would quite like to return as an eagle. Living miles away from civilisation and just soaring on the thermals, as close to heaven as you could get I reckon.

• Upvote 2

We are going out were it all started, We originate from different areas so we decided to get sprinkled were we first met. The old blue gate in Skeg where we had our first date is still there, so that's where we are going. The family will have a weekend holiday,do the sprinkling and have a party afterwards. same as Darkazana no grave to tend.( Can't tell you where in case you gate crash) :crazy: .

There is a burial site on the eay to ruddington... Where you don't have a stone, instead you have wildflowers and a tree planted. It's a nice natural way to be buried I think, let nature take over... Iv never been but I'm sure it's a beautiful place.

Have you ever thought as the years go by ..........the time will come when you've got to die.

They put you in a wooden box ...........and cover you over with stones and rocks.

The worms crawl in and the worms crawl out ........................they crawl in thin .............and crawl out stout.

Yer skin turns green ....................and yer marrow rots .............yer bones get twisted into knot's.

Yer eyes fall in ...................and yer teeth fall out ..........................yer brains come slitherin down yer snout.

And now my story I have related I think I'd sooner be ......................................CREMATED.

Curtsy of the barrack room.

Colin

• Upvote 2

I read somewhere that when there are bodies to be disposed of in Alaska during a big freeze, the feet are cut off and the stumps sharpened to a point. Then, using a very large hammer, they 'nail' the corpse into the ground. This would save space of course but I can't help thinking one must doubt the veracity of the writer.

I am not religious nor do believe in an afterlife,

A few miles from where I live there is a cemetery where you are buried in a cardboard coffin and they plant a tree on top of you, (maybe it is to stop you getting up and complaining, if you are not happy with being buried)you also can have a non religious service. That is the sort of place I want to be planted in when I am dead.

But if I cannot have the above, nailing my body in a tea chest, and throwing it into the Trent, and letting nature do the rest also sounds OK to me..........

So nobody wants to be stuck in a wheely bin and taken to the tip? :)

Actually a wheely bin with the lid stuck down and launched at sea has some potential, 'cept for the pollution aspects..