colsmith50

ISIS Nightclub, Lenton Industrial Estate

mick2me    2,950

Pete Waterman was always pissed in that program

VWGolf    15

I broke my ankle in The Black Orchid by falling down a step onto the dance floor that I didn't notice in the dark. Being somewhat the worse for wear, I danced on my broken ankle before the anaesthetic properties of the booze wore off and the pain set in! Needless to say, my boss who had taken me onto the dance floor wasn't very sympathetic when I rang him from A&E the next morning to say I wouldn't be in to work!

mick2me    2,950

Named 'ISIS' might attract the wrong clientèle!

There also used to be Slimming Food called 'Aids'!

• Upvote 1

catfan    8,746

I bought a 40" LED TV for my PC to use as a monitor recently, It's a ISIS, worried now in case it bleddy blows up.

TBI    1,793

Serve yer right then Catfan, for bragging about the size of yer equipment!

catfan    8,746

Size isn't everything TBI, as Mrs Catfan often points out !

radfordred    2,333

Knocking it down plans to build 6 restaurants so that will be McDonalds Burger king & KFC & 3 more.

• Upvote 1

BeestonMick    259

Ref: Black Orchid

Wasn't it a flawed concept, putting a large nightclub in an out of town industrial estate?

I think so, the city clubs were better in my opinion. The Black Orchid wasn't a dance club it was a boozing cattle market. Most of the clubs I used (even to this day) have been dance clubs hence you tend not to get p¡$$ artists and lechers, the customers are there for the music and dancing. The Beachcomber and Dungeon blew the Black Orchid out of the water.

They did exactly the same in Cardiff with a purposely built place called Evolution - It was Cardiff's attempt to compete with the "super clubs" like Cream, Ministry of Sound & Manumission etc, it didn't work, it's closed. Cardiff had a very vibrant clubbing scene and I moved there for one club, the Hippo!! Unfortunately it was closed down for redevelopment which didn't happen for another five years. Without a doubt it's the best club I've ever been to and I've raved pretty much all over the world.

catfan    8,746

Restaurants ? More like junk food eateries.

Neh mind, QMC Coronary Care Unit not too far away !

Caroline    23

I went to Isis numerous times in the late 90's/early 2000's. There was a bar near it, it's now a car manufacturer sales centre. I remember Sophie Ellis Baxter did a public appearance at Isis. Not the classiest of nightclubs looking back..

Cliff Ton    5,492

At the moment it looks like this. Isis has left the building, although you can just see the remains of lettering to the left of the word 'Nightclub'.

isis.jpg