I remember the right hand class room for Mr Petchell and the English teacher, name escapes me.

The small window LHS of door was a small washroom.

Image courtesy Tony Paine

post-8-1139771148.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

cool2 Mick, was just chatting to my partner & i think the english teacher was Mr Spungin?? he has a very good memory so Im sure he's correct? Mr Harrison was Tech drawing teacher in the new block.

Yes Harrison was the TD teacher, entering the new block his room was on the right.

I remember the wooden shapes, cones heptagons etc. on a shelf above the board.

Spungin was jewish I believe?

He was also the Careers teacher, I remeber him taking us out to such places, as Formans the printers, Hucknall road, and Annesley Pit. Both now gone!

Not sure if he's one & the same tuts but he did have a son Michael who was an MP in Nottingham. He would have been quite old when he was at TB so it possibly was him,he had a vile temper apparently & was very adept at slapping the kids if the need arose, an old fashioned master & it didnt harm them one bit

It looks like it is one and the same as he remembers him having a son called Micheal. He was good at cartooning and would ask the kids to come and make a scribble on the board and then turn it into a character.

This is what he remembers he looked like but he always had a seven o'clock shadow. I have attached an image to put him on site for posterity.

This is the best one he came up with, the others looked like a cross between Marty Feldman and a Rottweiler chewing a wasp.

A lips0

post-4-1141475229_thumb.jpg

That's very good Tuts,looks just like him. He did indeed draw cartoons according to my better half,I remember him very well,though I wasn't taught by him.

• 1 month later...

The very same one who took me for geography and a couple of other subjects I don't recall, when I was at Huntingdon Street school, 1958 to 1962.

He was very good at woodburning too! He used to set us to work then get on with his woodburning while we were busy.

I recall seeing something, that he had passed on many years back now.

Yep, he was VERY Jewish. He was taking us for RI one day and mentioned he wasn't allowed to mention too much about Judaism, as it was against the law.!

I don't recall him dishing out too much punishment during my days being taught by him, maybe he'd mellowed off in his old age, I don't think we lot were especially angels though... ;)

My other half worked at Sandersons Grocery shop and he was offered £1.00 if he could acquire a small tin of Nescafe powder. He also won an orange, when they were practically non-existant. for an english composition.

Just goes to show he had a very human side to his character.

A ;)

• 1 year later...

I have today received an email from a Relative of Joe's

Hopefully we will hear more of him soon?

Sadly Joe passed away in 1974, six years after I left School.

• 3 years later...

From the Spungin Family site

http://spungin.moonfruit.com/#/spungin-history/4516852574

The Spungin family had been in Nottingham for four generations and many of today's Nottinghamians fondly remember Joe Spungin, the schoolteacher, or entertainer (taking the name Sparti for his stage name). Joe passed away in 1974. His wife, Alice Spungin (nee Wagner) lived to a ripe old age before passing away in 2001.

Joe & Alice had two sons - Michael and Neil.

Michael was a solicitor and local politician, well known throughout the East Midlands. He married Ruth Mordecai in 1965 and they had three children - Hilda, Jessica and Charles. Michael passed away suddenly in 1998.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Just had a walk down Green Street today (2'nd July 2014): very sad sight, Trent Bridge junior, senior & girls blocks are all gone. They're building some of those monstrosity things were the boys block was at the moment. The science/metalwork/woodwork ect block is still there but seems to be boarded up & unused. The gym is still in use as some kind of club.

Also had a walk round the memorial gardens, they're also looking a bit unkempt & there was no fish in the pond. I was getting a bit depressed. Mind you I had a £1 ice cream from the kiosk nearby & I enjoyed that, so that cheered me up..

• Upvote 3

Joe Spungin was my English and R.I. teacher at Hunto. He was certainly a hard teacher.

I remember my first lesson in his class when some of the teddy boy pupils came through our classroom (no corridors at Hunto) and started giving him aggro. He and Mr. Chambers (maths teacher,glasses and a crooked eye)

from the next classroom sorted them out and I mean physically .Absolutely jaw dropping for 33 new comers