++ NOTTSTALGIA NOW IN NEW HOSTING ++

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't know about all the tech'i stuff I was just getting twitchy with withdrawal symptoms.

It isn't Google Chrome - I have been running it for years with no issues and changing ISP could be a major problem. A more likely issue is the DNS server. Usually you default to your ISP's DNS serve

Most probably need to clear the browser cache. Cache is where the browser stores data to save having to go and get it again. This really screws up when the data has changed. Some browsers assume that

I get screen copies by pressing FN key + PRT SC, then paste into photoshop or windows paint

I take it your key pad is different to every other one I've been on in my life!?

'cause I ent gorra clue wotchonabaht.

Though saying that , on closer inspection I have just found a key marked

PrtScn

SysRq

On my laptop to get a screen grab I press Control , marked "Ctrl " and then the " Prt Scn".

Then go into the Paint programme, select Edit and then "paste" from the drop down menu and the picture you selected should appear .

You can edit your pic in Paint using the tools from the left hand menu . The crop one is at the top of the left hand menu and looks like a dotted square .

Press that square then go to the image and select the area you want to keep by sizing the dotted lines, then with the curser within the area you want to keep, right click and selct "crop" .

That should delete the bits you dont want . Then when happy , "save" and give it a name and it should appear in your pictures folder .

Thanks Cliff ton. Silly me. I should have worked that one out. I'm one of those people who see things as more complicated than they actually are.

If running Windows 7 there is a snipping tool in Accessories. If you run it you get the ability to select an area on screen that you can then save to a picture file - like a jpg.

like this - rotated to save space.

snip.jpg

Radfordred can't get in at all, he just keeps getting the above message too. I've advised him to try a different service provider, telling him that Chrome is working fine for me, but obviously it's not!!

It isn't Google Chrome - I have been running it for years with no issues and changing ISP could be a major problem. A more likely issue is the DNS server. Usually you default to your ISP's DNS server, but you can point your computer to a different one, which can give better results.

I was having an issue with several web sites (including Nottstalgia) with my old ISP, I talked to my son about it and he suggested changing the DNS server - I changed to the Google DNS server and it solved all the issues - page loads were faster too! (It is still set to Google DNS).

Here are the instructions to switch to Google DNS

• Upvote 1

Most probably need to clear the browser cache. Cache is where the browser stores data to save having to go and get it again. This really screws up when the data has changed. Some browsers assume that whilst the content may change, the IP address of a website is static, so "why do I need to go and get it again".

Clearing cache is known in the trade as "Giving it a quick kick up the backside". :)

• Upvote 1

I have logged in several times today, and I did not get anymore security warnings, my grandson who works for SFR a French internet/ telecom company and knows a lot more than me about computers did a complete security check on my computer and also what he calls a down line check and found nothing , I have not had anymore security warnings, so I suppose all is well, and the problem must have been just a blip in the system somewhere.....Thanks anyway.....