Refering to post #70, you are not the first person I've heard mentioning a Hymek on the GC line. I thought this a little odd until I remember they were built by Beyer Peacock at a factory in Manchester I think. So the GC line was an obvious "delivery route".

I've never seen a photo of one, anyone help?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi everyone been a while. But here's a copy of an update i just put on Uk train sim forums . Save me doing it all again. Merry Christmas and a happy new year to all    

We are still plodding along with this project, real life keeps getting in the way of things. I just finished part of the hotel, concentrating on the parts of buildings as seen from the trains.

Misty atmosphere.

Refering to post #70, you are not the first person I've heard mentioning a Hymek on the GC line. I thought this a little odd until I remember they were built by Beyer Peacock at a factory in Manchester I think. So the GC line was an obvious "delivery route".

Yes, the Hymeks were mentioned on another thread a while back.

From Manchester they were routed over Woodhead and down the GC line to Woodford then on the link to Banbury to reach the Western Region.

When we used to go trainspotting to the Rat Hole at lunchtimes at High Pavement we would often see them go past light engine, sometimes 2 coupled together.

I don't think my experience with the Hymeks in service was in the way of new delivery use. I remember also (this would be 1966) returning from Cornwall and deliberately coming up to Victoria, rather than the usual Bristol-Birmingham-Derby- Nottingham Midland route. I used a Penzance-Paddington train from Par to Westbury, and then a Hymek-hauled local from Westbury to Swindon via Melksham, finishing off with the evening (7.40 I think) Swindon - York, getting into Vic about half past ten. This also was Hymek-hauled, although on this occasion it was swopped at Leicester Central - for a Class 25 I think.

I think it was in Edwardian times, Nottm Vic used to boast "Anywhere South and Anywhere North". Which is just what it says.

Summer Saturdays there were trains to the Kent Coast, Sussex resorts, Dorset, Devon & Cornwall, Wales, North East and North West resorts. Up till WW2 there even used to be a Penzance to Aberdeen train. A century later and look what we've got today. Deplorable!

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone been a while. But here's a copy of an update i just put on Uk train sim forums . Save me doing it all again.

Merry Christmas and a happy new year to all :jumping:

•  
  •  
  •  
Re: GNR Derbyshire and Staffordshire Extension info

icon_post_target.gifby chrisy11 on 24 Dec 2013 12:57

Well as its Xmas eve i thought i better give you guys an update. I had month or so away from the route and TS in general , with work and 1 thing and another. Just needed a break too.
We are now back in full swing and have made great progress the last few days. Trying to get the Vic boxed in now.
Anyway i will let the screenshots do the talking.

Almost everything at the Vic is custom built so far. Ive even made custom tunnel liners as the default ones are too big. and the good old Fowler plan gives the tunnels dimensions.I also made custom sandstone cliffs. But these will come in handy around Nottingham as there are a lot of sandstone cuttings.

This is the J50 in Mansfield road tunnel. Ive added Occlusion boxes. Believe me when i say these tunnels are pitch black if you close the fire hole door icon_smile.gif

This is Union road bridge. Everything at the Vic is a pain in the back side. Even something as simple bridge supports where complex iron lattice work. The blue brick walls i made as like a kit so i can use then around the station. Just need to do the Bay canopy's now. I did think about using the AP ones but , well there not the Vic's are they lol. and as we have come this far why stop now..................

And a couple of shot inside the main station. Note the smoke deflectors if you havn't spotted them on a lot of the bridges yet icon_smile.gif

Next step is the Bay canopy's and getting the south end boxed in. Can at last see the end in sight to this station.
I have started to call it the Curse of the Vic! But as you can see its been worth it.
Once we get out of it things should progress much faster............i hope.

Photos originally included in this post have been removed from the Flickr account, presumably by the owner.

• Upvote 5

Hi Chris, you are doing some fantastic work here. Anybody who used to frequent "The Vic" will tell you that it was the most haunting place - I don't know quite how, but you've really captured the atmosphere.

As an example of Vic weirdness, the hydraulic tower (yes, the building did contain the power source for the luggage lifts) used to emit public lavatory/digeridoo echoing burbly noises, even in the 1960s. I guess therefore that the lifts were still used then. When you get fed up with drawing endless girders and beige glazed brickwork island buildings, maybe there's a sound file somewhere which would suit?

Another good wheeze would be to provide an alternate version of the north and south gables with the original 1900 "art nouveau" style steel and glass windbreaks. I believe they were replaced by the horrible corrugated iron (or asbestos) ones during WW2.

We used to see Britannias, Halls, O4s, O1s, WDs, B1s, A5s, Black 5s etc etc there. Even a Duchess (City of Nottingham), a Schools (Cheltenham), a West Country (Salisbury) and Mallard in LNER blue! So your loco bill might become rather substantial.....

• Upvote 1

The Hydraulic power house is done now and sent on to Chris for adding to the Vic,

11582686665_6bbee25307_c.jpg

A bit off topic but does this Nottinghamshire County Council Ambulance bring back any memories for anyone? I can remember quite an assortment of vehicles parked up on the steep streets around the General Hospital.

11566629036_7def8fe2ec_c.jpg

Regards Brian

Hi Chris, you are doing some fantastic work here. Anybody who used to frequent "The Vic" will tell you that it was the most haunting place - I don't know quite how, but you've really captured the atmosphere.

As an example of Vic weirdness, the hydraulic tower (yes, the building did contain the power source for the luggage lifts) used to emit public lavatory/digeridoo echoing burbly noises, even in the 1960s. I guess therefore that the lifts were still used then. When you get fed up with drawing endless girders and beige glazed brickwork island buildings, maybe there's a sound file somewhere which would suit?

Another good wheeze would be to provide an alternate version of the north and south gables with the original 1900 "art nouveau" style steel and glass windbreaks. I believe they were replaced by the horrible corrugated iron (or asbestos) ones during WW2.

We used to see Britannias, Halls, O4s, O1s, WDs, B1s, A5s, Black 5s etc etc there. Even a Duchess (City of Nottingham), a Schools (Cheltenham), a West Country (Salisbury) and Mallard in LNER blue! So your loco bill might become rather substantial.....

Hi edthefolkie.

Maybe the reason i seem to be capturing it is im too young to have ever seen it. So in a way i don't have any memories to what a think it looked like. Ive had to research the hell out of the place from books and 100's of photo's ect. ANd photo's don't lie :)

But im glad i am getting atmoshpere thats the main thing. And god i wish i had of seen it, what a place.

Ive seen photo's of it in the early days with all the glass. Didn't do things by hafls did they :)

On a differnt note i came across this the other night http://www.nottinghampost.com/Railway-men-celebrate-Colwick-Loco/story-12212507-detail/story.html Dated 2010. I would love to have a chat with some of these guys . Especialy when i get to Colwick. Although just looking at the yard layout that place scares the hell out of me.

Ps. ive been wondering about sound at the Vic. Im guessing it would of had a echo so to speak with all the walls around it. Must of been a right racket with heavy trains trying to get away?

Thanks everyone and happy new year :)

• Upvote 1

Oh before i forget.

The accses tunnels to the lifts ran under the platforms underground , Could they still be there? and they just built over them. Ive herd the lower levels of the shopping center are quite a spooky place and there's at least one ghost wanders around down there thats said to be a guy who was killed during the construction of the station in the 1890's

Chris

Ps. ive been wondering about sound at the Vic. Im guessing it would of had a echo so to speak with all the walls around it. Must of been a right racket with heavy trains trying to get away?

The Locos of most trains were outside of the roof so the sound was no louder than other stations. The through freights were not going very fast.

It was not a noisy station but it had more atmosphere than the Midland.

• Upvote 1

It would be good to have some authentic sounding station announcements echoing in the background. Would arriving trains be indicated with a bell besides a voice announcement? My memories of the somewhat smaller Langley Mill station was a bell ringing in the ticket office just prior to the train arriving, maybe from the signal box.?

We do know a professional sound producer for the simulator who owes both myself and Chris a few favours :) The "public lavatory/digeridoo echoing burbly noises" mentioned for the Hydraulic house should be easy for him.

Nobody has mentioned the B12 at Victoria, I have seen several images of them at the station, I guess they weren't regular visitors then? That's a shame because I have one on order.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1400500_682383701792162_1844501500_o.jpg

I never saw a B12 in Nottingham. The nearest I saw them was at Grantham when Peterborough used them on stopping trains.