• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi everyone been a while. But here's a copy of an update i just put on Uk train sim forums . Save me doing it all again. Merry Christmas and a happy new year to all    

We are still plodding along with this project, real life keeps getting in the way of things. I just finished part of the hotel, concentrating on the parts of buildings as seen from the trains.

Misty atmosphere.

They are the first photos I remember seeing of B12's at the Victoria, they date before I was a train spotter. They were most likely on Grantham's allocation. I did see B12's in East Anglia and at Grantham. They were good looking locos and looked bigger than they there were.

I looked up the B12s . Most where scraped by the mid to late 50's . The very last in 1960. Im sure ive got a photo of one in one of my books near Derby . So they did work the route, question is how often? I guess you would of seen them more often in the early 50's.

Chris

I looked up the B12s . Most where scraped by the mid to late 50's . The very last in 1960. Im sure ive got a photo of one in one of my books near Derby . So they did work the route, question is how often? I guess you would of seen them more often in the early 50's.

Chris

One is preserved - 61572. As far as I know it's based on the North Norfolk Railway (or at least it used to be).

Hi Folks.

There was a Topic a while back where some detiled scans of old OS maps where posted for the Basford North Station. http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1475&page=8

Anyone know where i could get hold of a copy of maps like these. They would be very usefull for laying the route .

Regards

Chris

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hiya guys,
Found your Nottm Victoria work mesmerising! I have just gotten hold of TS2014 and have been dabbling in creation and 3D modelling with a view to replicating Victoria which holds a certain fascination for me even though I'm not old enough to remember it. I don't really have the resources to pull it off to any degree of quality, and your screenshots show it already looking great.

I have a couple of questions for you :

1. Is this route a commerical undertaking or will it be part of the Steam Workshop?
2. What is the planned route - I am from the Erewash Valley and wondered if perchance it might include the GNR Pinxton branch?
3. If I could contribute in any way I would love to, I know the route pretty intimately.

Cheers
Mark

Hiya guys,

Found your Nottm Victoria work mesmerising! I have just gotten hold of TS2014 and have been dabbling in creation and 3D modelling with a view to replicating Victoria which holds a certain fascination for me even though I'm not old enough to remember it. I don't really have the resources to pull it off to any degree of quality, and your screenshots show it already looking great.

I have a couple of questions for you :

1. Is this route a commerical undertaking or will it be part of the Steam Workshop?

2. What is the planned route - I am from the Erewash Valley and wondered if perchance it might include the GNR Pinxton branch?

3. If I could contribute in any way I would love to, I know the route pretty intimately.

Cheers

Mark

Hi mark

like you im not old enough to remember the Vic but i fell in love with it too quite by accident . When i started messing around with route building i was looking at Derby and the Friargate line. I knew very little about the route and didn't even know it coneted to the GCR and in to the Vic. Anywayy long story short , and a lot of books and reserch later we restarted the project properly along with learning to 3d model and had a proper go at it starting at the vic. I became fascinated with the place.

The route is freeware It will be on UKTS and another site for free when its done. We cant put it on steam workshop beacause of our custom models .

The planned route for version 1 at least is The GNR Friargate line which is what this project is really all about. So The line is running from the monster yards at Colwick up through Mapperley tunnel that way and on to Derby friargate . And From the Vic heading North and coming off at bagthorpe junction to Join the GNR at Basford North .

I wont be going out of the south end of the Vic at pressent. Thats a whole new nightmare just on it own lol.

The track is now laid more or less. Including Colwick yards.

The Pinxton Branch we decided to leave out of version 1 . Its a route all on its own so to speak but i do plan to do at least part of it. I also want to have a go at the branch into Stanton From Ilkeston North . But again Stanton is a project on its own, Its huge. so these may go into a later version,Expansion to the route.

Me and Brian are both from The Erawash Valley. Im from iLson :) But now live in Bristol.

Im sure you could contribute in some way. Its a long term project and we are all quite passionate about the route and indeed the history and finding out about it. What are you 3D moddeling skills like?

Reagards

Chris

Here's a bit of a progress update.

When we 1st posted here all we had was a hole in the ground with a station in it that didn't go anywhere.

I dont realy have much new eye candy to show like what we have shown at the Vic But there's been alot going on. The line now goes all the way from the Vic to Derby Friargate. And also the otherway at Basford North to Colwick.

We have basicly been laying the founddations for the route. So its mostly just track and a boring green landscape at the monment. So this is why i say we dont have much to show even though alot has been done.

The route is just over 17 miles from Derby to the Vic , and then with the stretch to Colwick about another 6 miles on top of that.

It dosn't sound alot but to put things into perspective on just how complex it all is and how barmy the railways where around Nottingham. Colwick yard is around 2 miles in lenght, and there is somewhere in the range of 150miles of track just at Colwick , Add to that all the other sidings,yards and branches ect along the route and we are looking at over 200 miles of track.

We are the phase now of getting the route signaled and operational in the sim. Then it will be a case of bringing it all to life with scenery . Nottingham and derby are a challange as they are both heavly built up area's. It would of been so much easyier to build a pretty little brach line out in the countryside, But no we have jumped in at the deep end.

Here's a few shots that might interest folks.

This is a shot of Colwick from the Trent end looking north towards Gedling.Where the route has the long climb at 1in100 up past Gedling Colliery and up through Mapperley tunnel towards Daybrook.

These 2 shots are my attempt at gedling Colliery. The GNR line sweeping across the bottom of the shot Climbiing Up to Mapperley tunnel that is just out of shot to the left.

The steep line climbing up top left of shot is the Rope hauled branch from Gedling pit upto Mapperley Landsale Warf. The forked line bottom of shot was to Gedling Landsale warf.

RailWorks 2014-03-05 11-13-50-01

RailWorks 2014-03-05 11-12-45-07

RailWorks 2014-03-05 17-21-59-48

I dont think i need to tell you what this is :)

Regards

Chris

All photos originally in this post have been removed from the Flickr account, presumably by the owner.

Hi Chris,

When I said Pinxton Branch, what I really meant was 40 Bridges! This is so exciting to see. Have you modelled Bennerley yet?

With your permission, I'd like to post those images of the viaduct on the Facebook group Eastwood n Kimberley bygones? We share a whole wealth of undiscovered 40 bridges pics on there.

Some folks there will be chuffed to hear it's being digitally recreated.

I'm from Eastwood but now living in Melbourne Australia.

My 3d modelling is basic - I've only just started. And I'm having a love-hate relationship so far with 3DCrafter. But I made a Nottm Vic platform sign, and I'd started the North signal box until I saw your guys' version when I promptly snapped my pencil in half :). Other than that, I've laid out the Vic track in TS2014 and it was my original plan to model Leicester to Sheffield based on net research and the famed GCR Then and Now book.. I revised that to Loughborough to Sheffield, then wondered if I should duplicate some of that at all when you guys are making such a great job of the shared section. Though I do want to model Weekday Cross over the midland and Trent.

My contribution may only be moral support at this stage I fear, but at some point I'd make a good tester and authentic scenario writer for your route.

vic-north-sb.jpg

vic-platforms.jpg

Cheers

Mark.

• Upvote 1

Hi Mark, your signal box looks great, far neater and probably more accurate than mine to be honest. I didn't know much at all when I made those boxes and have made many mistakes. There are lots of signal boxes to make for the route and it would be good to have another model maker in the group.

Chris and myself haven't been using Crafter very long and we still consider ourselves as beginners too.

I grew up in Langley Mill and I'm of an age were I can remember the Pinxton Branch in use, although the Midland line received most of our attention being closer to home.

Regards Brian

I've just found this thread through "View new content". Seriously fascinating! I've nothing to contribute that hasn't already been covered, but will follow with interest. Consider yourselves "LIKED" - I can't go through ticking them all!

Thanks everyone .

Your more than welcome to share the screenshots where you like, im all for getting this route noticed, the more people that know about it the more info and history gets turned up . Especialy on local pages as people tend to have all sorts of photo's ect stashed away.

Mark your modeling skills look very good , There's loads to model and we could do with another model maker. I will send you a pm.

Ive not done Bennerley yet.

Giltbrook viaduct and the line over it ran at a gradient of 1in100 down from Awsworth junction. so it wasn't level at all. But you cant tell that from photo's . Also it turns out Bennerley is on a gradient of 1in100 climbing up towards Awsworth. There's a good amount of info on Giltbrook giving the sizes of arches, how they where placed , which arches had dweelings in them. Which made my life much easyier building. It was certainly very uniquie . Which seems to be the case alot on this route.

Chris

Cheers for that Brian,

As you can see though, I'm textureless - and that's where I come unstuck.

Getting them scaled, aligned, to ignore divided faces etc. Any tips?

Mark.

That is where I can make my models look a little better than they really are Mark, I'm quite good with textures. We will share what we know with you, we are still learning though, like you said, it's a love hate relationship with the software :)

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

One is preserved - 61572. As far as I know it's based on the North Norfolk Railway (or at least it used to be).

Yes it still is, my favourite of all the preserved steam locomotives, here's a photo I took of it last summer arriving at Holt prior to us jumping on board and ambling down to Sheringham tender first.

20140325_745.jpg

I don't recall seeing B12's at Vic, though I probably did, B17's I remember well along with D11 'Directors', didn't the odd D49 make the occasional showing from the York direction as well as I seem to have some underlined in my 1960 Combined Volume. The last D11 I remember specifically seeing was on the way home from Derby Open Day in 1960. We used to travel back from Derby Friargate to get away from the hoards crammed into the Nottingham Midland bound DMU's, there was an appropriately timed ex-Llandudno holiday train that was always empty which we used to catch. I recall getting off at Vic and seeing a very filthy and leaky 62666 Zeebrugge parked in one of the bays, probably not long from it's demise.

• Upvote 1

I think that your creation of 'Digi Vic' is fantastic, I can almost smell that sulphurous pong that used to permeate the station day and night, summer and winter.

I've published these on here before, but for those of you who haven't seen them, these are some memories and my own photo's taken at Vic 1958 to 1966:-

ptik1.jpg

victik1.jpg

v3.jpg

v2.jpg

v4.jpg

v5.jpg

v6.jpg

[url=http://s366.photobucket.com/user/petetruman/media/v1.jpg.html]v1.jpg[/url

• Upvote 1