• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi everyone been a while. But here's a copy of an update i just put on Uk train sim forums . Save me doing it all again. Merry Christmas and a happy new year to all    

We are still plodding along with this project, real life keeps getting in the way of things. I just finished part of the hotel, concentrating on the parts of buildings as seen from the trains.

Misty atmosphere.

Hi Firbeck , B12 61554 at Vic in Forster & Taylors " Railways in and around Nottm".

D49 The Percy at Vic in Brian Stephensons "LNER Album" Vol 1.

Sorry I can't quote page numbers, or scan as many books are in the loft.

Somewhere I have a book with a postnationisation D49 in but I've got so many I can't remember which it is.

Thanks for showing those images Firbeck, what would I give to be able to do that trip Derby Friargate to Nottingham Victoria these days?

14023055714_163d419ca2_c.jpg

The clocks are animated so they will keep the correct time in the game.

I'm not thinking that I can do anything about it but did the clock tower chime? does it still chime?

• 1 month later...

We are still plodding along with this project, real life keeps getting in the way of things. I just finished part of the hotel, concentrating on the parts of buildings as seen from the trains.

14362862751_271c24e2be_b.jpg

• Upvote 5

Can anyone provide any information on the Parliament Street footbridge and it's entrance. I'm going to tackle this next for our project. Any ideas about colours? It would be interesting to know how it was used too, was it always open, was it manned?

I have found quite a few images of it on the net but if anyone has any that show the structure and supports clearly that would be a great help. I notice one set of steps have a brick base with windows and presumably a door that I haven't yet seen, but the other just has steel supports.

10450158_1499550816930063_10596740095506

These might be useful, from "Britain from Above".

There are only two photos which show the Parliament Street entrance, and here's the maximum-zoomed versions. One is a bit rough, one is a lot better.

parl1.jpg

parl2.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I absolutely love this recreation of Victoria Station.
I wonder if you could answer a couple of questions for me.....
What computer programs do you use to create this?
What are the minimum system requirements to run them?
How difficult is it to create the buildings and landscape?

I have used Google Sketch Up and found it quite good for creating buildings, but not much use to the surrounding landscape, this looks far better.

Well done!

Briyeo will no doubt be able to give full details, but it's done on Train Simulator:

http://www.railsimulator.com/ (it won't let me paste an actual link, sorry)

They're not just pictures of the station, etc, that are being created, but Train Simulator is a 'game' which allows you to not only drive the trains provided in various available scenarios and content which you can download, but also to create your own - if you're clever enough! (I wouldn't be). That's what Briyeo is doing.

When completed the Victoria Station set-up would be the equivalent of a model railway, but one which is on your computer.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes it is being made within TS2015 by Dovetail Games. At the moment it is THE train simulator to have

https://www.facebook.com/railsimulator

We are using 3DCrafter by Amabilis to make our models, it's more difficult to use than Sketchup and can be very frustrating at times. The base game provides your world and has an editing application for making the scenery, roads etc.

It is quite sophisticated for a game and there is almost no limit for skilled users, for instance you can import terrain data gained from satellites that will automatically form all the hills and valleys for you.

Because of the size of some of these areas or railway routes, and the amount of buildings trees and such required to make an effective simulation, and that you will have several high detailed trains moving simultaneously, you will need to have a good computer. What would be referred to as a gaming PC.

You can start small though. one or two guys are actually recreating model railway layouts like one you may have at home, rather than lengthy routes. You can also use any existing buildings, trees etc. that are in the routes provided with the base game. If you buy more routes,( the game survives on selling downloadable content,) you can use any objects in those for your own projects too.

We are finding that you need an awful lot of spare time to get anywhere with producing a route like ours. We have been working over a year now and I'm still not prepared to say Victoria is finished. We were all new to this when we started though.

15874495850_ed8e879ac9_b.jpg

Thanks for the info, chaps.
I was thinking of re-creating a short section of the East Lincolnshire line around Firsby ( where my grandfather worked in the 1930s).
Unfortunately having checked out TS2015, my PC doesn't fulfil the minimum requirements to run it, so it'll have to be a priject for another day.
Keep up the good work with Nottingham Victoria, its a real thing of beauty!

• Upvote 1