Tesco self service checkout woes..

I got a few things from Tesco so decided to use the self service checkout, oh dear. The machine was as bad tempered as any girl I know, it had a tantrum every few seconds, it shouted at me for "unexpected item in baggage area, place scanned item in baggage area, blah blah blah." It then grassed me up to the Tesco lady who had to to come over & sooth it's brow, she looked at me as if to say "what have you done to upset my friend?" Normal checkout for me next time. :)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yesterday I was at my local Tesco store buying a large bag of Chum dog food for my loyal pet and was in the checkout queue when a woman behind me asked if I had a dog.. What did she think I had, an e

We never use self check-out. I usually enjoy a joke with with the assistant. Seems to me that self-check-out is another nail in the coffin of every day communication.

I'm barred from Tesco. When i got my credit card out to pay for goods the woman on the checkout said "strip down facing me" so i did.

At least by shopping in the week you don't encounter the dreaded "Saturday Worker". They are so surly, slow and uncommunicative .

We never use self check-out. I usually enjoy a joke with with the assistant. Seems to me that self-check-out is another nail in the coffin of every day communication.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I get fed up of being harangued by the self- service units. 'Please remove item from bagging area. Please re-scan item. Please wait for assistance. Do you have your own bag?' I want to set up a gag where the self-service unit announces your PIN when you put it in 'YOU HAVE ENTERED 2367. IS THAT CORRECT?'

• Like 1

Plus the fact its putting someone out of a job .

Having worked in shops all our working lives we know whats its like being stuck on a till all day , so usually go out of our way with a pleasant greeting to a checkout operator .

Most respond well and chat back . Sometimes they can be the only other people we will converse with in a day ,( apart from each other ) so worth hanging on to . Though often , its the opposite and we meet old customers in various places who still remember us and want to tell us their life story and you can't get away !

• Like 1

Yesterday I was at my local Tesco store buying a large bag of Chum dog food for my loyal pet and was in the checkout queue when a woman behind me asked if I had a dog..

What did she think I had, an elephant? So, since I'm retired and have little to do, on impulse I told her that no, I didn't have a dog, I was starting the Chum Diet again.

I added that I probably shouldn’t, because I ended up in hospital last time, but I'd lost 2 stone before I woke up in intensive care with tubes coming out of most of my orifices and IVs in both arms.

I told her that it was essentially a perfect diet and that the way that it works is to load your pockets with Chum nuggets and simply eat one or two every time you feel hungry. The food is nutritionally complete so it works well and I was going to try it again. (I have to mention here that practically everyone in queue was now enthralled with my story.)

Horrified, she asked me if I ended up in intensive care because the dog food poisoned me. I told her no, I stepped off the kerb to sniff an Irish Setter's arse and a car hit me.

I thought the guy behind her was going to have a heart attack he was laughing so hard. I'm now banned from Teco. Better watch what you ask retired people. They have all the time in the world to think of daft things to say.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 8

That's brilliant Ali, I'm still chuckling.

Can't stand them. I'll recount a tale or two later, but let me leave you with one thought.............................

How are they going to go on when they bring in the 5p charge for a carrier bag??

I used one a while back and their machine went awol and told me my pin was incorrect! Iv had the same pin for 12 years, I think I know it by now. Anyways, thanks to the machine having a hissy fit, my pin number was blocked.

A woman walked past me as I'm complaining to a member of staff bout the issue and said the exact same self service machine did the exact same thing to her bank card!

I couldn't use it for over a week while my bank sorted it all out for me. Apon contacting that branch + their head office, I didn't even get an apology, just a 'we will look into it'

I won't use their robots...period

Sod 'em ...and B&Q

Can't be bothered to give me service?...I'll go elsewhere...and every bugger in the shop knows it when I open my big gob.

I'm awaiting the day when a robot with with a smile,blonde hair and big artificial tits serves me a pint.

• Upvote 1

We already have that here in Wales - you have to ask an assistant for a bag. There's usually one near the self-service machines (an assistant I mean, not a bag)

In South Australia,we have paid for `polluting' plastic bags for sometime. However,if you use the automatic machines they are free!

I NEVER use the machines purely for the reason it puts a kid (usually University or High school)out of a job.

I asked the (already frustrated) girl on there the other morning how they would go on , (there's 20 of them in our Morrisons and they're always flashing away with problems , so how she can be giving carriers to everyone too is beyond me!!

I asked the (already frustrated) girl on there the other morning how they would go on , (there's 20 of them in our Morrisons and they're always flashing away with problems , so how she can be giving carriers to everyone too is beyond me!!

Not everyone would be asking for a bag. A few people do at my local Tesco, but not many as - like me - most come with their own bag.

Iv got in quite a habit of bringing my own bag. Iv decided to keep a couple folded up in my bag next to my purse so I remember.

Took me a while to start remembering them.

I like them although He Indoors isn't keen and usually has to be sent away because he always manages to upset them. We mostly do our weekly shop at the big Tesco store in Mansfield and they have hand held scanners. You put your clubcard into a machine, a scanner is allocated and off you go, merrily scanning your own shopping and packing as you go. Saves time and effort when you have a trolley full. At the end of your shop, you plug the scanner into a till. it reads the contents and you go through the paying procedure as you normally would.

Knowing how ruthless these companies are,I would like to see their figures for `mistakes ' at the machines(!) compared with employment of check-out person compared with speed of through put. Their losses through `mistakes' must be less! `Scuse my cynical thoughts.

When Walmart first move to Southern Ontario all the Store's had Self Checkout.Now the new Super Walmart's do not have Self Checkout.I asked a friend that works in an older store why was this?He said the highest theft rate was at the self checkouts some store managers like the self checkout because it keeps their employee numbers down therefore they get a bigger bonus.

I avoid self service checkouts like the plague, because over here if you make a mistake or if you have problems when scanning your shopping, the person who is responsible for the checkouts seems to have a, you stupid old fool, attitude, and you feel guilty you cannot work their system.

It is not just one supermarket, I have been in several and you seem to get the same attitude in others, and another thing the security staff seem to hang around service checkouts, which gives you a uncomfortable feeling when they watch you checkout your shopping.

My wife has worked in retail for the last 30 years, working her way from checkout chick at our local Tesco in Carlton, and on to upper manegment before retirement two years ago, from one of the big two supermarkets here in Oz..

She actually likes the auto check outs ! she had so many years dealing with uncoperative irresponsible staff (her words), and rude irrate customers, while working.

She is also pedantic about packing her items correctly (again in her words, some of the surely young kids today havent got a clue ! )

She always takes her own bags now too, one thing though I am not allowed near the machines as I always stuff it up and have to get the assistant to come over to sort the mess out. :-))