Tesco self service checkout woes..

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yesterday I was at my local Tesco store buying a large bag of Chum dog food for my loyal pet and was in the checkout queue when a woman behind me asked if I had a dog.. What did she think I had, an e

We never use self check-out. I usually enjoy a joke with with the assistant. Seems to me that self-check-out is another nail in the coffin of every day communication.

I'm barred from Tesco. When i got my credit card out to pay for goods the woman on the checkout said "strip down facing me" so i did.

When we first got our own place, we did a week's worth of shopping - a fair bit, finally got our oven installed etc.

We for some reason thought it'd be quicker and easier to take a trolly full through self service. I have no idea why. But I'm pretty sure everyone else must of thought it was our idea of a joke.

At least we can look back and laugh nowm

I get fed up of being harangued by the self- service units. 'Please remove item from bagging area. Please re-scan item. Please wait for assistance. Do you have your own bag?' I want to set up a gag where the self-service unit announces your PIN when you put it in 'YOU HAVE ENTERED 2367. IS THAT CORRECT?'

No that's my date of birth madashell (Bloody stoopid puter thumbsdown )

Iv got in quite a habit of bringing my own bag. Iv decided to keep a couple folded up in my bag next to my purse so I remember.

Took me a while to start remembering them.

I always have a bag in my coat pocket wherever I go.

It is not only supermarket self-service that drives me up the wall, I don't know what your post offices are like, but ours has been modernised, before it was a friendly place, all there was, was a counter and what ever you wanted you asked the person behind the counter and they did what you wanted.

But since last year the French postal service modernised the post office, now you have to press a button to enter, and when you get inside someone askes you what, and you are sent to a machine, to buy a stamp or weigh a letter or parcel, etc, etc, if you do not have the correct money no problem there is a machine to change notes into coins, no matter what service you want there is a machine for it, and if you go to the counter, which is now a table in the corner, the person who is there, will not do anything all they say is "if you want a stamp ( for example) go to that machine, because we are not allowed to serve you with stamps if the machine is in working order"..

We use the self service checkout as much as possible here.

No problems and it's always quicker and more efficient than standing in a queue waiting for some spotty kid to cram all of the cool stuff into a bag with soap powder or such like.

Baz :ninja:

I think that we need to accept change and very soon the manned (or womanned) checkouts will be in the minority. Remember all the places one could smoke just twenty short years ago.

It's not just supermarkets now. What about checking in at the doctors. And trying to pay a bill by phone. And what about this new parking system being introduced.

The truth is we cannot stop change. It will happen no matter how much we resist it.

Anyway, got to go, horse needs shoeing and the cart has a wheel loose and there's steam coming out of the wireless. LOL

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm barred from Tesco. When i got my credit card out to pay for goods the woman on the checkout said "strip down facing me" so i did.

I've pinched this joke for my Facebook page, changed it to Asda though as I know too many people who work at Tesco, sorry Den, lol..

Let's hope part of your taxes aren't being used to support the spotty kid 'cos he hasn't a job Baz.

Those spotty kids are usually high school kids trying to earn a few dollars.Some of them are pretty good but most of them just don't seem to want to be there.

Being an aged pensioner the only taxes I pay are the GST (goods and services taxes)So,yes if thay were on the dole I daresay I would be supporting them.

Baz :ninja:

• 4 years later...

I worked part time at Hillards in Hucknall for a few weeks a few decades ago & it's the worst job I've ever had: I'd be stacking shelves & someone would ask where sumat is, I'd send them to where I thought it was & it'd been moved since my last shift, then they'd come back moaning at me, the gaffer would  then rollock me for not knowing where things were. I told them to stuff there poxy job in the end...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2013 at 7:40 AM, Bubblewrap said:

I always have a bag in my coat pocket wherever I go.

Hi I can remember years ago shopping with mum, she always had a brown paper carrier in her bag, so having your own bag is not new, but are we not going over the same ground? 

What's happened to Customer Service in the UK OH!! just a minute did we ever have any? don't like the self service puts people out of a job, don't think any one should work Sunday's Bank Holidays etc. When I worked I had to work on a Saturday and I use to get fed up with people say Oh! is'ent it great it's weekend again, what was a weekend I do not know only since putting my feet up do I know what I missed.

What about MORRIESON'S having shopping trolleys for youngster's, they want banning (not the youngsters) the trolleys. Best thing we can all do is go back to getting paid on a Friday/Saturday with those little brown envelops with that bit of paper in which told us Tax, Insurance, and what you had left to spend, lets all then go shopping to the local shops. Local shops for local people then we might get some Customer Service, 

• Like 2

A few years ago in TSB a lady at the counter tried to talk me in to internet banking, she was really pushing this new way to bank. I did say to her when we all internet bank they will close all the branches down & make thousands of redundancies. I read recently that the Lloyds banking group are doing just this.

I should have been a fortune teller !

• Like 1

I never use a self-service checkout in Tesco or elsewhere. The wages of checkout staff are obviously paid by the customers in the price of goods so, if you use the self-service checkout shouldn't you have a reduction in the price of the goods? W H Smith's have self-service now but I just wait for a member of staff to do the scanning.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Its called progress isn't it. There's a lot of things we don't like but have to accept them.

My grumble is that as we lived in UK for most of our lives we tend to compare lots of things ..

Going to the bank.....press the bell to enter, wait for tardis to open, step in, then you are locked into this "thing that you expect it to launch into space,. Then.. "Please return and place all metallic objects into the safe deposit outside. Then if you're lucky the tellers will recognise you and you continue to enter. Hang on its not finished yet....inside is a big machine that you can choose whether you need to speak to the manager, withdraw money, or have an appointment etc. Having chosen what you need a ticket appears with a number on it , behind the tellers there is the biggest screen mostly advertising various services for the bank but also tells you which counter to go to.

Now there are only 3 and one is usually empty but the remaining staff all seem to be busy. The same thing in the PO its usually extra full and with again 3 counters only 1 is manned and all operations have to go through a machine. Supermarkets seem to be ok unless of course theres a queue. Only the larger SM have self service hand held scanners. The loyalty cards go on the phone so dont have problems looking for cards.

All in all every country has its faults but we like them or we dont. We just accept them. You dont know how many times Ive said " in England its not like this "

Accept change because if you dont it makes life difficult and at our ages who wants that. I for one don't.

Oh and when you have to have a medical exam ....you have to make the appointment along with prescription from Dr . You go then have to go back to collect results and return to Dr to tell you what you have ( roughly having already read the result)

• Like 2

Just reading in today's paper how a number of stores are moving to scan the product on your phone and pay at the same time.  No checkout needed.

I will not use self service checkouts.  I'm not working for them.  It will be a cold day in you know where before I start using my old flip phone for that.  I don't want a so called smart phone.

There's going to be a lot more unemployed folks.

That’s what we’ve done at Waitrose in Newark for years. Just scan the product as you put it in your basket and stick you card in the machine when you’ve finished. No queuing at the checkout and away you go. At Lidl we scan at the self service checkout and we load into our own bags. What’s not to like about it? We use Morrison’s at Netherfield as well but you’ve got to queue at the checkout,  unload, go through the operator and then reload. That’s not the way to go in the 21st. century. I suppose we should really shop online but you’ve got to get some excercise!

Oh and another thing...a new law says we cannot and should not use plastic bags in supermarkets and other places to put our fruit and veg in before you weigh it. Fine .....but they charge us for the new bio gradable bags 2 cents.  Which makes your shopping a bit more expensive but how can you carry fruit and veg in your hands?

Everyone thought, ok I'll reuse them but no you're not allowed to because they will charge you again as they wont know if its old or new. So now these bags come in useful for kitchen waste.

One good thing is that chemists give you the bag with your purchases and give you the receipt but don't charge you although it states that you have been charged 2 cents on the receipt.

Waiting for the next surprising surprise

On 25/02/2018 at 8:03 AM, catfan said:

A few years ago in TSB a lady at the counter tried to talk me in to internet banking, she was really pushing this new way to bank.

Ouru local "Royal Bank of Scotland" is closing down soon, leaving the county town of Wick, Caithness, without a "Bank FOR Scotland" as they advertise themselves.  I mentioned to the manager that it was not practical to travel all the way to Thurso (21miles from Wick) to use a bank.  Her reply was "Bank online". I then asked how to pay in a cheque "Online" and she said "If you have a cheque you can pay it in at the Post Office."  If I want to pay my cheques ini at the Post Office then surely I would open a Post Office banking account, wouldn't I? 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1