Long shot here but I am trying to find a photo of my place of birth, or should I say the address on my birth certificate. It was 264 Woodborough Road although I think that should read 264a. It was at the back of a shop. I have no idea who the shop belonged to or what the shop sold. I believe it was on the right hand side of Woodborough Road with Mansfield Road behind you and was on the steep part of the hill somewhere between the Dame Aggie Mellors boozer (now gone) and St. Augustines Church but I am not certain at all. Photo would be nice but any other info would be appreciated.

While we are around St Anns, my second abode was 32 Ford Street St Mary's. It ran from St Anns Well Road up and across Plantagenet Street. I believe Instow Rise is in the same place now. Again any info or a photo would be nice.

I have search Picture the Past and googled but no luck so far.

Ford Street St Mary's ran from St Anns Well Road to Turner Street, my younger years where I lived were in that area.. I lived in Kings Lynn Terrace, off Turner St, just up a few hundred feet from Ford Street.

No idea what the shop may have been when you were born but in the 30s ,the shop was Battersbys shoe shop or may have been shoe repairers .

• Upvote 1

No idea what the shop may have been when you were born but in the 30s ,the shop was Battersbys shoe shop or may have been shoe repairers .

And in the 70s, it was a company called PETA, who were into electricals and furniture.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/46285/pages/5718/page.pdf

I have been through my directories of Nottingham & have found the following.

I think number 264 Woodborough Road was built after 1868 as I can find no details

My 1891 Kelly's directory lists details of numbers 262 & 266 but not 264.

In 1916 Kelly's directrory Ernest Boulter Boot Repairer

In Kelly's directories of 1925,1928,1932 & 1941 Albert Harold Battersby Boot Repairer

I have two later directories(Blairs) of 1967 & 1972 & there are no details given for number 264.

Number 264 Woodborough Road was(I'm presuming it's now demolished) lay between Sycamore Road (296) & Dame Agnes Street(256)

• Upvote 1

Thanks folks. That is at least a start. That section is now demolished, I assume in the early 70's along with the rest of St Anns

This doesn't answer the question but might be of interest. Here's the relevant stretch of road in the 1930s.

oldwood1-1.jpg

And here's the same stretch today with today's numbering. I know the numbers don't match exactly, but it gives an approximate idea.

newood1.jpg

Eyup piannerman,

A wer a bit bored earlier on so a went 'aht wi mi camra and took some pikchers. Yer can 'ave em if yer like.

I don't know whether you've been back to the area, but it's all completely changed now. I had relatives living around Pym Street, Peas Hill Road and all round that area so I knew it quite well, but it's extremely difficult to work out where all the old streets ran.

From the map that Ayupmeducks supplied it seems Ford Street St. Mary's ran from directly opposite the "Cavvo". I've taken photos of 264 Woodborough Road, the old Cavendish showing the stretch of road opposite, Plantagenet Street, Instow Rise etc. I don't know whether you have any current photos, but you're welcome to them if you want. If you do, let me know and I'll email them to you (if that's OK Mick - they're big files and I don't want to bung your website up!)

• Upvote 1

Eyup piannerman,

A wer a bit bored earlier on so a went 'aht wi mi camra and took some pikchers. Yer can 'ave em if yer like.

I don't know whether you've been back to the area, but it's all completely changed now. I had relatives living around Pym Street, Peas Hill Road and all round that area so I knew it quite well, but it's extremely difficult to work out where all the old streets ran.

From the map that Ayupmeducks supplied it seems Ford Street St. Mary's ran from directly opposite the "Cavvo". I've taken photos of 264 Woodborough Road, the old Cavendish showing the stretch of road opposite, Plantagenet Street, Instow Rise etc. I don't know whether you have any current photos, but you're welcome to them if you want. If you do, let me know and I'll email them to you (if that's OK Mick - they're big files and I don't want to bung your website up!)

Eyep Affer

Yes please I would like to see them and thanks for taking them. Got to agree with Mick tho' if you can put them on photobucket or something we can all see em and it might spark some other contributions. I do get back fairly frequently, I have a good few customers up Mapperley, so if i want to go into town when I have been to one of them I just drive straight down Woodbro' Road. I have got an occasional customer on Plantagenet Street and I was on Robin Hood Street last week. Until I looked at Ayupmeducks map I would have thought that Robin Hood Street was Sneinton!

I see from Ayupmeducks map that Ford Street was opposite the Cavendish. Was that pub? I have worked out that Ford Street was where Instow Rise is now but it is difficult to be sure as St Anns Well Road has no relationship Commercial Square any longer. (Its not there!). I remember Ford Street as being a steep hill.

The last time I was around the old St Anns must have been in the very late 60's. Probably went to have a look as we had heard that it was soon to be demolished. I remember us standing on St Anns Well Road looking up Ford Street.. I distinctly remember not wanting to be there. + I never liked trolley buses!

The Cavendish Cinema, my late Mum worked there as an usherette in the 50's, friend of Mum and Dad was the projectionist, can't for the life of me recall his name now, too many years back.

I'll just try a couple.

This is an old one of the St. Ann's clearance. the Cavendish Cinema is the big building centre left. Ford Street St. Mary was opposite.

StAnnsClearance_zps0174b494.jpg

This is the Cavendish today (on the right). Ford Street St. Mary would have gone through the houses opposite

StAnnsWellRoad_zps80b50950.jpg

Hurrah!!!

This is the current 264 Woodborough Road. Might not be in exact position of the old one, but can't be far out as the old properties each side still have their old numbers.

264WoodboroughRoad-1_zps8ef2862e.jpg

Standing outside the front gate looking up towards Mapperley ...

WoodboroughRoad_zpsdd479007.jpg

... and down towards Nottingham ...

WoodboroughRoad-1_zps956eb175.jpg

I took a few of the surrounding area too. Robin Hood's Chase, Corporation Oaks etc. If anyone wants me to post them, let me know (now I've sussed it!!)

Thanks Affer. Well I would certainly like to see the rest of them. I'm sure most of us here would too

I shall have to take a drive up St Anns Well Road soon and have a look where the Cavendish is. I have never noticed it before.

All the movies I saw there as a kid...

A'hm not verry gud wi this. Ah press button an nowt 'appens!

I think I'm trying to load too many photos at once.

If you turn left out of 264, a few yards down the road is Robin Hood Chase. This runs right down to St. Ann's Well Road, almost opposite where Ford Street St. Mary was. Y'uh cudda moved wi a barrer!

RobinHoodChase_zpse00e7c1f.jpg

On the other side of Woodborough Road, opposite the Chase, is Corporation Oaks, another bit of greenery in what was a very dense area of terreced housing.

CorporationOaks_zpsf703ceb4.jpg

And almost opposite 264 was (is) Plowright Street.

PlowrightStreet_zps0d8fe6f8.jpg

There's more!

Plantagenet Street. Ford Street St. Mary crossed around about the white building.

PlantagenetStreet-2_zps6f8ddf6f.jpg

And Plantagenet Street from the other (Lamartine Street) end.

PlantagenetStreet-1_zpsdf48dcf0.jpg

Hope they've been of interest. If anyone else wants current photos of old locations I'll try to oblige (if they're not too far away).

• Upvote 1

Thanks Affer, they are of interest. Wouldn't have thought Robin Hood Chase was still there - must go and have a look sometime. (Must lock the van up well when I go). As for you saying wi cudda moved wi a barrer - well we probably did! - towed behind the 1939 Austin 8 me dad 'ad at the time. My father rented a lock up garage when we lived on Woodborough Road but can't remember whether that was on Plowright Street or Dame Agnes Street. Parents pronunciation always sounded like Day Magnus Street, and always thought that that was what it was until I was, until I suppose I was in my late teens. Think I drove past the Dame Agnes Mellors Pub and realised she had a surname!

Word of caution. If you walk up Corporation Oaks, either take a change of footwear or watch where you walk as a lot of dog owners take their pets up there to relieve themselves before going into the vets surgery which is next to it on Woodborough Road.

a lot of dog owners take their pets up there to relieve themselves before going into the vets surgery which is next to it on Woodborough Road.

I think I know what you mean, but that is slightly ambiguous as to who is relieving themselves.... :happy: