We used to tip mothballs onto the open fire. It think the gases created broke down the soot and it went out of the chimney to land on peoples’ washing. It seemed to work. Do not try this at home!:biggrin: I believe there were some proprietary products in sachets which were sold for the same purpose and regular application stopped soot build up.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's coming up to chimney sweeping time again. A colleague at work recently had the sweep round. He was in the house for barely 10 minutes and charged £40! My chap charges slightly more than half that

In reply to a, Ben, I live just north of Lewes, about 15 miles from Brighton. (b), Phil, no I'm not in orthopaedics but League of Friends coffee shop but I do a little brain surgery when I can fit in.

I swept my chimney last week but even at my age I still enjoyed going out to take a look at the brush poking up through the chimney pot  

Some friends in Nottingham, on their last visit to us over here, took mothballs back with them. Said they couldn't find them over there. I think they were for their garden. 

In France, you can buy naphtalene (naphthalene in English) in flake form from some pharmacies and garden centres. Mothballs are naphthalene compressed into balls. Perhaps it is available like that in the US - I don't suppose it matters very much if it's balls or flakes if it's just going on a fire (or repelling snakes!).

I always thoughts Imps were tiny but hot licourice tablets that you bought in a little box. Used to buy 'em in winter to help breathing in cold weather. I'm sure you can still get them or some equivalent. Couldn't afford Fishermen's friend or Victory V.

1 hour ago, loppylugs said:

Mothballs have some amazing uses.  Around here they are supposed to repel snakes if you put them around your yard.  I've never actually tried it.  They are pretty hard to find anymore.

They are probably as effective as conkers against spiders!  Since I put the conkers down, I haven't seen a single arachnid. On the other hand, due to moggies playing football with them at 3am, I haven't seen a single conker either!

• Like 3

Melloids were a Boots product sold in small double-lidded tins. The inner lid had a small hole in it to allow the tiny square Melloid to be shaken out. Imps were sold in cardboard boxes.

Google has entries for Imps and Nigroids but barely a mention for Melloids.

1 hour ago, Jill Sparrow said:

They are probably as effective as conkers against spiders!  Since I put the conkers down, I haven't seen a single arachnid. On the other hand, due to moggies playing football with them at 3am, I haven't seen a single conker either!

Maybe the moggies ate 'em, along with the spiders.

Phil........I don't know about wearing them around your neck.  I'd heard that eating plenty of Garlic has the desired effect.

• Like 1

I love garlic but you if stand on the Metro in Paris squashed up next to some garlic reeking Frog  you don’t love it quite so much. Allegedly the smell comes out through the pores of your skin as well as in your breath.   You’ve got me thinking about driving over to Southwell now to get some garlic bread!

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Its ok Jill,, since my OP i can't smell owt.......lol

Ben, I expect your taste is not as good as before, either.   One can detect salt, sweet, sour and bitter from taste buds on the tongue but more subtle flavours need one's sense of smell to taste them!

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

I love garlic but you if stand on the Metro in Paris squashed up next to some garlic reeking Frog  you don’t love it quite so much. Allegedly the smell comes out through the pores of your skin as well as in your breath.   You’ve got me thinking about driving over to Southwell now to get some garlic bread!

Make your own. Much nicer!

5 minutes ago, Brut33 said:

I haven't read back to see who this lady chasing guy is, but I'm pretty sure that cutting his head off would slow him down.  

Don't even think about cutting off his head, i have not yet met our liberty bodice lothario. Maybe one day.

• Like 2