Before we are all dead and gone

Let all old meaders folk post a memory of a landmark from their childhood and its location because our generation is the last one to remember and you never know someone might be interested when were no longer thinking of days gone by .I remember old needle factory that stood behind houses on willersley st.

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Let all old meaders folk post a memory of a landmark from their childhood and its location because our generation is the last one to remember and you never know someone might be interested when were

Bab, I think the 'spiders web' can be seen in Trevor's #28. Fun because you could hang under them when they were going round. Mentioned before here but worth repeating... A great trick used on the

Woodbines? Now they were real cancer sticks. When I smoked it used to be Parkys plain. When I had a good week I'd treat missen to a big yellow packet of Gold Flake.

Posted Images

What about the old Police Telephone Post just outside the Rock Gardens on the Embankment?

It was Cast Iron with a domed top with door for telephone, Is it still there?

The Sir Richard Arkwright pub, my first regular watering hole, Chris and his wife Anne were minehosts, can't recall their last names...Trying to think of the next land lord ..Barry and Kath.....???

I doubt box would still be there scrap fetches a few quid nowadays come to think of it why didnti take it to trickets meadow lane i think.Where was Sir Richard Arkwright cant remember.

At the bottom of Wilford Road the Island where the 40 trolley bus used to turn around and go back up Wilford Road to the Wells Rd St Ann's , on the island their used to be an ice cream van I think it was called Solaries ice cream it was the best I've ever had.

mary1947

Queens Walk School - First went there in 1949 - seems an awfully long time ago. Infants went in on the Brierley St entrance, and juniors on the Kinglake Street side. There was a Boots factory across the road from the Kinglake Street entrance.

queenswalkschool.jpg

Just noticed the chimneys on top. Imagine trying to keep a school warm with coal fires. Elf and sefty would have a fit if they had open fires in schools these days. Kids weren't that stupid back then to get burnt, and if they did they wouldn't do it again.

As a youngster from one of them posh new housing estates, the only memories I have of the 'Medders' is my first job in the laboratory at Mundella grammar school. I hated it there and was glad to transfer to St. Bernadette's at Sneinton. To get to Mundella I used to walk from the 56 & 60 bus terminus on Long Row . The walk took me along Arkwright Street with all its shops.

My biggest childhood memory was Wollaton Pit. We watched the collection on coal wagons on summer holiday mornings and was always aware of the tip. It kept us awake at night with the noise of the head wheel spinning and all the loud bumps and bangs associated with a coal mine.

It was part of the fabric of our lives and we thought it would be there for ever.

Thank you Alisoncc for the photo of Welbeck school nice to see my old junior school from different angle .

You're welcome. Only got to be Welbeck some years after I had departed. T'was Queens Walk when I was there. Sorry for the condition of the picture. They were stored in the garage - bit damp. 'appens. :)

My first school Collygate, hated school since that first day, The Grove picture house where I saw the Dambusters film for the first time, I was only a nipper and my dad took me (I think he wanted to see the film really and only took me to get me from under mothers feet) Oh and the bus sheds on Bunbury street I think they are still there

Rog

Alisoncc do you have any more damp old photos of meadows if you do please show.What makes this site so good is that no matter how good you think your memory is someone produces information or photos to remind you that only a fraction is retained. Incidently did the shop at side of the school have a old game machine that fired small ball bearings when you attended there .

• Upvote 1

Thank you Alisoncc for the photo of Welbeck school nice to see my old junior school from different angle .

Picture the Past has a couple of photos of the school in its Welbeck days.

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM005565&prevUrl=

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM005566&prevUrl=

dont know the scool but attended many city council meeting there as it became quees walk comunity centre with plenty of big class rooms and hall for big meetings and training sessions

my childhood memories of the medows area wereof the embankment and the pleasure boat trips from there prid of yar and tamar bell bown past pleasure park through the locks holm pierpoint and down to radcliffe bend back on the train to netherfield after a few hours down by the river and a pint for dad and a bottle of pop and packet of crisps at one of the pubs near the station.

Posted this before somewhere, but for any kids from the Medders, this was "our" place. The Reccie. Do remember a round-about and swings being there originally. Probably before elf and sefty banned them as too dangerous.

reccie.jpg