Before we are all dead and gone

Here's a couple of rides that we had down the RoT Rec back in the 50s.

The roundabout was pushed to maximum spinning speed and then you wrapped a leg around one of the steel uprights and hung out as low to the ground as you dared. Oh, and the ground was hard dirt, not soft concrete like in the picture!

article-2131790-12A368E3000005DC-406_964

Another style roundabout we had at the Rec was this one below. Could also get a fair speed up and you really had to hang on or kiss the ground. We tried as we might to rock this one off the centre point by several on opposite sides and rocking it back and forwards...never succeeded though. Just a bloody loud clanging noise when the seat ring hit the centre pole.

3259343-27th-april-1973-children-play-on

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Let all old meaders folk post a memory of a landmark from their childhood and its location because our generation is the last one to remember and you never know someone might be interested when were

Bab, I think the 'spiders web' can be seen in Trevor's #28. Fun because you could hang under them when they were going round. Mentioned before here but worth repeating... A great trick used on the

Woodbines? Now they were real cancer sticks. When I smoked it used to be Parkys plain. When I had a good week I'd treat missen to a big yellow packet of Gold Flake.

Posted Images

Trevor S, your first picture is what I remember at the Medders Reccie.

As for "The roundabout was pushed to maximum spinning speed and then you wrapped a leg around one of the steel uprights and hung out as low to the ground as you dared. Oh, and the ground was hard dirt, not soft concrete like in the picture!",

Done that, got the scars to prove it.

I used to go on that one at the Medders rec too. We didn't live there but my Mum would take me there when we were visiting my Granny down Queens Grove. Got good memories of that playground and especially the roundabout and slide in the 50's

• Upvote 1

Many memories of the ROT Rec and once again, thanks to carni for asking what a Kings Crown was.

Strange thing though, our lot was riding the swings, roundabouts etc of an evening more so than during the daylight hours (school holidays the exception). It was our territory after dusk in the late 50s.

there was also a roundabout that we called spiders web bet lizzie ill remember this as there was on on dunston st rec similar to kings crown but the metal part onlt you sat on the edgeon two bars

And there was a see-saw. The fun bit was when a quite light kid sat on one end, then a heavy kid would get on the other so the light kid went up. Then the heavy kid would jump off quick, so the light kid would come crashing to the ground. :)

• Upvote 1

Bab, I think the 'spiders web' can be seen in Trevor's #28.

Fun because you could hang under them when they were going round.

Mentioned before here but worth repeating...

A great trick used on the rec near 'Padlo' on the embankment in the early 60s.

Waxing the slide with waxed bread paper, it doubled the speed you rocketed down once wax had polished off.

I did see a guy put his baby on the slide, and mum waited at the bottom but was not quick enough to catch it.

The baby plummeted down the slide and was launched for a distance horizontally off the end of the slide!

Baby, if you are a member here, I am very sorry :)

• Upvote 2

#25 Mick2me

Thank you for the picture, i do remember it and also when i looked closely at #28 from Trevor, i could recognise the one on there as well. We used to visit 2 aunts who lived at the Meadows, every week in the early 1950s and would play on a park, i would imagine it is the one mentioned in this thread, the picture in #21 looks very familiar but it was a long time ago, and the mind plays tricks. We also played on the park at the bottom of Carlton Hill, Going towards town. Happy Days :)

Did anyone take the short cut from welbeck down annersley st down an entry over avery large wall into blackstone st that wall to me was a land mark then there was an entry at the back of old cinema on mayfield grove it ran from kirkwhite st through to ithink ryeland cresent we used to have bonfires there two seperate barbers around there both named Ron.There was a very small dingy little bookies on the corner of mayfield grove sitting under railway bridge that crossed kirkwhite st .

:biggrin:Cliff Ton, Beautiful Images and Beautiful Memories @ #36 - thanks for posting.

PS: I wonder what ever happened to Parks' playground equipment? Would have moved house for the chance of purchasing one of the Magnificent and Beautiful Swing Boats - Radford Bridge Road memories. :biggrin:

Did anyone take the short cut from welbeck down annersley st down an entry over a very large wall into blackstone st

No, but knew the off-licence on the corner of Annesley St and Waterway St, well. They didn't worry unduly about selling bottles of acoholic cider to youngsters. Didn't take many to get pie-eyed when you were only thirteen. :)

Knew Blackstone Street, used to walk down it, and under the high-railway bridge to Cromford on my way to school.

Bonfire night on the rec ( top of Woolmer road etc )

Sante fe youth club by St Faiths church.

Collygate road infants school and of course Trent Bridge when I was older.

Grove and Globe cinemas.

Cragg and Shepherds ( chemist on Arkwright Street near Muskam Street.

Dr Coopers on Wilford Grove.

And many more very happy memories of the meadows.

kind regards,

Tony

• Upvote 1

ALISONCC IREMEMBER NEWS AGENTS ON THE CORNER OF SUMMER ST AND WATERWAY ST USED TO PICK TEACHERS PAPERS UP GOT A BAG OF RAINBOW POPCORN FOR ME TROUBLE. YOU MENTIONED BUYING BOOZE ICAN RE MEMBER MY MATES BUYING SINGLE WOODBINES GOD THEY WERE STRONG GOT THEM FROM A LITTLE SHOP NEAR COLLYGATE SCHOOL AT BACK OF LIBRARYFORGOT NAME OF ROAD PERHAPS TONY CAN REMEMBER TALK ABOUT RESPECTING ELDERS SHE WAS AOLD LADY THAT SOLD THEM TO US WE WERE ABOUT 13. REALLY FEELS GOOD TO RECOLLECT JUST TURNED 59 BUT MEMORIES DONT SEEM THAT LONG AGO KEEP THE PLACES YOU REMEMBER KEEP COMING . THEY REALLY ARE GOOD MEMORIES.

• Upvote 1

I didn't live down the Meadows but remember Peters chip shop when we used to go and watch Forest. He was Italian and used to shout " Anda the nexta please", and everyone used to take the p-ss and mimic him.

• Upvote 1

And i always thought he was greek anywaychips not bad but not us good us Hildas on kirkwhite st looking back we were spoilt for good chippies after a night in the pub playing cards a chip supper was most welcome unlike those disgusting hot dogs sold from a barrowwhen the clubs threw out having said that they tasted alwright at the time it was the next morning they tasted disgusting when you remembered the dirty guy selling them dropping his fag ash in them.

What happened to the ritual of finding a puddle and calling it a wishing well and throwing your small change at it seemed to be one or two around wnen i was a kid dont see em much nowadays didnt there used to be one in the castle or is it still there.

There is a money pit at the castle near to the entrance to the caves and Mortimers Hole. We went into the caves on a guided tour, but never saw where the money fell.

One of my memories was of going , for the first time, into the Cafe in Netherfield called "Stans". Bought a cup of frothy coffee and put me thrupence into the machine. Got five ball bearings to shoot out and somehow racked up over four hundred points. Every one shouted out " YESssss" I said.." whats up then ". Stan came over, checked the score and said" right! heres yer fags. I was given four packs of Woodbines and didn't even smoke. Gave three packs to me dad and got a clip about me head for the trouble with a ..." don't let your Mum catch you smoking, now bu**er orf" I could not have been more than fourteen then.

Woodbines? Now they were real cancer sticks. When I smoked it used to be Parkys plain. When I had a good week I'd treat missen to a big yellow packet of Gold Flake.

• Upvote 2

I recall dogs that were addicted to slides too.

Bonfire night on the rec ( top of Woolmer road etc )

Sante fe youth club by St Faiths church.

Collygate road infants school and of course Trent Bridge when I was older.

Grove and Globe cinemas.

Cragg and Shepherds ( chemist on Arkwright Street near Muskam Street.

Dr Coopers on Wilford Grove.

And many more very happy memories of the meadows.

kind regards,

Tony

Remember all these, I'd completely forgotten about Dr Cooper, for some reason I was scared of him, probably gave me an injection at some time, wouldn't bother me now as I've been a blood donor for thirty odd years & I'm used to needles now..

• 2 weeks later...