Before we are all dead and gone

I lived in a terrace opposite the Hozene factory on Briar Street.. Was that the chippy almost next to the factory??

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Let all old meaders folk post a memory of a landmark from their childhood and its location because our generation is the last one to remember and you never know someone might be interested when were

Bab, I think the 'spiders web' can be seen in Trevor's #28. Fun because you could hang under them when they were going round. Mentioned before here but worth repeating... A great trick used on the

Woodbines? Now they were real cancer sticks. When I smoked it used to be Parkys plain. When I had a good week I'd treat missen to a big yellow packet of Gold Flake.

Posted Images

Mam lived on Briar Street when she & her family moved up to the Meders from Monmouth, then moved to Waterway Street where muggins here was born, then we moved all over the Country before ending up back in the Medders on Glapton Road..

I lived in a terrace opposite the Hozene factory on Briar Street.. Was that the chippy almost next to the factory??

Thats Freda's

Thanks I'd forgotten her name....been many years now....Can you remember the green grocers just opposite??? An elderly lady ran it when we first moved into Osman Terrace. Her Nephew took the shop over as she was getting too old to work in it...She used to bake the best apple pies I ever tasted...

My Sister was born in the house in Osman Terrace, No3, just over 50 years back...

• 2 weeks later...

At the bottom of Wilford Road the Island where the 40 trolley bus used to turn around and go back up Wilford Road to the Wells Rd St Ann's , on the island their used to be an ice cream van I think it was called Solaries ice cream it was the best I've ever had.

mary1947

Aye, and the Cremorne Pub on the apex, the 'appenny bridge', the floods, the rail tracks to Clifton colliery, and Queen Victoria's statue being moved there on the embankment from outside Woolies?

Prompted me memory this one, thanks.

I always though the Queen Victoria Sstatue was situated opposite The Talbot & Saint James Street (Angel Row & Long Row West)

It was the "Walter Fountain" that was opposite Woolworths on Lister Gate demolished in 1950

Did anyone take the short cut from welbeck down annersley st down an entry over avery large wall into blackstone st that wall to me was a land mark then there was an entry at the back of old cinema on mayfield grove it ran from kirkwhite st through to ithink ryeland cresent we used to have bonfires there two seperate barbers around there both named Ron.There was a very small dingy little bookies on the corner of mayfield grove sitting under railway bridge that crossed kirkwhite st .

I often took these entries Sir.

I think the one off Mayfield Grove, just down from the Grove Cinema had an electrical sub-station behind the houses?

I think my first job of sorts was at the Grove cinema, turning on and then off the gas-lights! Along with my Tarry's newspaper rounds, and Saturday morning job at Heason's Hardware Store, all on Kirkwhite Street.

Ah memories... sigh!

RE #35

I often took these entries Sir.

I think the one off Mayfield Grove, just down from the Grove Cinema had an electrical sub-station behind the houses?

I think my first job of sorts was at the Grove cinema, turning on and then off the gas-lights! Along with my Tarry's newspaper rounds, and Saturday morning job at Heason's Hardware Store, all on Kirkwhite Street.

Ah memories... sigh!

Does anyone remember the elephants escaping from George's stables Derwent St/Brookfield Place (They used to house them there for Billy Smarts circus) - I recall this happening twice.

One adult, then one young one.

The young one went on the rampage, right past my bedroom window as I was opening it to see what the commotion was. Thne it went up Brookfield Place, putting in Mrs Wings front door - then overturned an MG sports car on Derwent Street - the stuck its head through a window and getting stuck.

The police called on MR Widdowson on Kirkewhite Street, because he worked with elephants in India years before. I think they had to shoot it.

The adult one picked a chap up and put him on the railway bridge.

• Upvote 1

Re #39

Dr Cooper eh?

I recall him puffing on his Erinmore mixture in his pipe, as he failed to listen to your symptoms, and he'd start writing your sick note out immediatley, as tobacco ash tumbled over his waistcoat.

I liked him.

TGC # 61......... I don't know anything about elephants escaping and don't even know where those roads were / are but when I was little my Granny lived on Queens Grove, a stones throw from Midland Station, and I clearly remember going up Queens Drive to watch the elephants walking out of the station on the way, I assume, to the Forest for the circus.

TGC # 61......... I don't know anything about elephants escaping and don't even know where those roads were / are but when I was little my Granny lived on Queens Grove, a stones throw from Midland Station, and I clearly remember going up Queens Drive to watch the elephants walking out of the station on the way, I assume, to the Forest for the circus.

Ta gal,

Mr Widdowson as I recall, told me that only the Indian elefants wur allowed on't road, the African wur too frisky he said.

Funny innit? I can remember him tellin' mi this - but can't remember wore I 'ad fur breakfast today?

Poor old twit! Hehehe!

The beasts used to walk down Carrington Street onto Canal St, and the Boulevards to Forest.

Can you remember the Toffee Factory fire, on Furse St or the next one down off Queens Walk? I can't find anything about it on the web.

TTFN be safe.

• Upvote 1

Didn't you follow the elephants with a bucket and shovell as we all know enlphant dung grows bigger crops. :jumping:

No, I don't recall chasing after the elefants.

I did chase after the milkmans, Shippo's, the scrap man, the coalman, and Georges horses with mi bukkit - and Dad selling it to people who had allotments or gardens though.

When I wus very young, I remember me Dad coming home with a sack of horse-dung from work at British Rail.

Take care.

LOTS OF CAFES GAVE AWAY GIGARETTS FOR THE HIGHEST SCORE OF THE WEEK ON GAME MACHINES OF VARIOUS KINDS THE PINBALL MACHINES AT JACKS AND ROBINS SOME OF THE LADS FIGURED OUT THAT IF YOU PUT THEN UP ON STEEL TOECAP BOOTS YOU COULD STOP IT TILTING KEEP IT ON THE LEVEL AND GET HIGH SCORES THE ONES WHO DID NOT SMOKE WHOULD SELL THEM CHEAP TO THOSE THAT DID AND TAKE IT IN TURNS TO BE THE ONE TO WIN THAT WEEK SO CAFE OWNERS DID NOT CATCH ON SO EASILYAND ALTHOUGH IT SOUNDS BAD OWNERS DID NOT MIND TOO MUCH AS IT ENCOURAGED MORE PEOPLE TO PUT THERE TANNERS IN A PACKET OF FAGS ABOUT 1/6D AND ON AN AVERAGE DAY THEY TOOK 2 OR 3 QUID SO GIVING THE WINNER 6 BOBS WORTH OF FAGS WAS WORTH ITTHEY MADE A LOT MORE EVERY WEEK.

BY THE WAS WAS THAT WHEN STANS WAS ON CHANDOS ST OR ON MEADOW RD