Ever seen a ghost!

Ian, why do you always ridicule everyone who has different ideas to yourself???

I said I don't believe the named "astronots" landed on the moon, I never said the moon landings were not carried out..I believe the original ones who landed on the moon are long dead fro radiation poisoning...Hope that clears that up.

I also said that perpetual motion is scoffed on by the scientific world, then I went on to say there is a magnetic motor generator that once started keeps going, does that sound like someone who disbelieves perpetual motion...I did say perpetual motion goes against all the laws of physics...You reiterated that with your put down of me.....LOL

Living on the real world and spending my working life as a breakdown maintenance electrician I saw many things that defied explanation, some when I told engineers and asked for an explanation came up with the same answer as me...damned if I know, doesn't make sense.

Also, show me where I posted that I BELIEVE in ghosts??? I did relate others experiences, but I NEVER said I believed in ghosts.......

I don't disbelieve in ghosts, but I never said I believed!!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been watching this discussion with interest and would like to add some of my experiences to the debate. Some years ago, I taught in a small, independent school which was housed in what was the o

It's funny how a site like this, and the various subjects posted, stir forgotten events. Without a platform such as this it would not be possible to jot down and tell a wider audience the little thin

I have had a few occurrences that may fall into this category, but in both of these instances nothing was actually visible. Many years ago I lived in the vale of Belvoir and owned a large rambling ho

Posted Images

A couple of years ago, my brother was delivering some parcels to Duncan Macmillan House on the old Mapperley Hospital site. He mentioned to the receptionist that our dad used to work there and knew Duncan Macmillan well.

They told him that Duncan is often seen walking the corridors in his white coat. He died in 1969.

i honestly believe that i have seen several none of them have ever frightened meas i was brought up being told dead will never hurt you only the living this i have always found to be true.

• Upvote 1

Who's ridiculing you ? I'm just stating some real facts to prove you wrong ! And where have I 'put you down'

I've not named any names anywhere..... unlike others............................... slywink

My old house was horrible to live in.

The day I moved in, about 2am I was woke by a loud crash, I found some canvas pictures and a framed pic was on the other side of the room that I laid them down from, and broken!

The day I went into labor, I walked upstairs to see a little old fashioned boy standing in my bathroom, looking right at me! I got a 'medium' in who didn't know me or the house and she told me a little boy died from an illness shortly after the house was built. I did some research and found this to be true... Spooky.

I couldn't put my daughter's playpen in the dinning room if the stairs dopr was open as she would scream, cry and point in that direction.

We both saw 'shadow' of a man in the door way of the stairs on a couple of occasions.

We also both woke up at separate times one night to the shadow at our bedroom door.

We was once sat in the living room watching tv, when a letter flew off a table (that was against the wall away from the door and window)

The day of the move, I was walking past the kitchen window when I saw a angry looking man leaning on the kitchen side, staring at me, it was like his eyes burnt into me. At first I thought it was a family member helping with the move, then I discovered it was just me and my partner in an empty house.

• Upvote 1

There was some spirits in me last night after getting soaked walking my daughters dog all afternoon . Namely Jameson's .

• Upvote 2

Them weren't spirits, those were demons, never heard the demons of drink.....LOL

I know my limits, two large ones before bed.

• 6 months later...

Ghosts? Not all are scary.

This is a small extract from one of my favourite books "The idle thoughts of an idle fellow" by Jerome K Jerome.

My Grandfather gave me this book when I was in my early teens, he liked me to read parts of it to him during my visits in the years after my Grandmother had passed away.

He personally did not believe in ghosts but the thought of "ghosts" in this sense gave him comfort. The words have always stayed with me and I hope you like it.

The world grows very full of ghosts as we grow older. We need not seek in dismal churchyards nor sleep in moated granges to see the shadowy faces and hear the rustling of their garments in the night. Every house, every room, every creaking chair has its own particular ghost. They haunt the empty chambers of our lives, they throng around us like dead leaves whirled in the autumn wind. Some are living, some are dead. We know not.

We clasped their hands once, loved them, quarrelled with them, laughed with them, told them our thoughts and hopes and aims, as they told us theirs, till it seemed our very hearts had joined in a grip that would defy the puny power of death. They are gone now; lost to us forever. Their eyes will never look into ours again and their voices we shall never hear.

Only their ghosts come to us and talk with us. We see them, dim and shadowy, through our tears. We stretch our yearning hands to them, but they are air.

Ghosts.... they are with us night and day. They walk beside us in the busy street under the glare of the sun. They sit beside us in the twilight at home. We see their little faces looking from the windows of the old school house, We meet them in the woods and lanes where we shouted and played as boys. Hark! cannot you hear their low laughter from behind the blackberry bushes and their distant whoops along the grassy glades?

Down here through the quiet fields and by the wood, where the evening shadows are lurking, winds the path where we used to watch her at sunset. Look, she is there now, in the dainty white frock we knew so well, with the big bonnet dangling from her little hands and the sunny brown hair all tangled. Five thousand miles away! Dead for all we know! What of that? She is beside us now, and we can look into her laughing eyes and hear her voice.

She will vanish at the stile by the wood and we shall be alone; and the shadows will creep out across the fields and the night wind will sweep past moaning.

Ghosts..... they are always with us and always will be while the sad old world keeps echoing to the sob of long goodbyes, while the cruel ships sail across the great seas, and the cold green earth lies heavy on the hearts of those we have loved.

But.... oh, ghosts, the world would be sadder still without you. Come to us and speak to us, oh you ghosts of our old loves! Ghosts of playmates, and of sweethearts, and old friends, of all you laughing boys and girls, oh, come to us and be with us, for the world is very lonely, and new friends and faces are not like the old, and we cannot love them, nay, nor laugh with them as we have loved and laughed with you.

And when we walked together, oh, ghosts of our youth, the world was very gay and bright; but now it has grown old and we are growing weary, and only you can bring the brightness and the freshness back to us.

"The idle thoughts of an idle fellow" by Jerome K Jerome.

Smiffy

• Upvote 2

I remember reading a book while at school by JKJ, Three Men In a Boat, brilliant!!

Back on topic, I wonder if when we die we all become ghosts, only most are never seen or picked up by living entities?? Just the odd one or two.

I think I've mentioned the Battle of Gettysburg, the local university was used as a hospital for the wounded and dying.

Many people, from students through to logical Professors have experienced super natural events while researching in the vast basements of that Uni.. Many saying they have seen ghostly beings.

Surely not every student and professor at that Uni is looney??

Many years back, the wife and I was touring the mid west, we swung by one of the first battlefields of the American war between the states, Wilson Creek, which is a national park now.

Most of the visit is a walk around the battlefield, very very eerie!!!

I thought it was just me, but I asked my wife if she felt anything, she said yes, it's like hundreds of pairs of eyes are watching us where ever we walk...My exact feelings too!!

I DO BELIEVE, in ghosts,and i believe in Guardian Angels,and i would love to come back as one for someone i love,

• Upvote 2

Never seen one myself but Mum has seen many. Our house at the moment is very spooky, I've had a few experiences myself in this house. Late one night was sitting at the opposite end of my bedroom watching a film with my bedside light on. I suddenly heard a strange squeaky sound and what sounded like something being unscrewed. Next thing the lights went out. Got up to see the problem and the lightbulb was firmly laying unscrewed out of the lamp on the side. Was very strange indeed!

Ghosts? Not all are scary.

This is a small extract from one of my favourite books "The idle thoughts of an idle fellow" by Jerome K Jerome.

Smiffy

I used this book that you recommended for my Nostalgia assignment, was very useful. Thanks a lot :)

• Upvote 2

I don't know if this involved a ghost but see what you think. Around 1974, I had reason to visit the Music Inn on Alfreton Road near Canning Circus. I parked on Cromwell St. and hoisted my 2 year old onto my shoulders and walked round to the shop. I didn't notice that Papworth's sun blind was lower than the rest and caught my son's head on it. I brought him down into my arms to stop it happening again and then entered the shop. The chap behind the counter nearly fainted and then I saw why. My son's head was pouring with blood. I legged it back to the car with my son in my arms and then drove quickly to the old Children's Hospital on Chestnut Grove off Mapperley Road. Throwing caution to the wind I drove too fast through the gate and too late saw an ambulance coming the other way. As there wasn't room for us to pass and I was going much too fast to avoid a collision, I just shut my eyes and waited to die. When I opened them again there was no sign of the ambulance. I just parked up and waited while I calmed down, then took my son into casualty. His head had healed up by that time and he didn't even need stitches. I often wonder if I saw the ghost of an ambulance from the war.

Oh by the way, I became a much better driver after that little incident.

• Upvote 4

I still scratch my head over that incident. My wife can pick up stuff like that. She can sense if anything bad happened in a place. She also knows exactly when I'm nearly home from work even though I seldom do regular hours and more often than not finish earlier or later than I should.

as i said in earlier post i trully belive in life after death i am not religious always say i am agnostic.

when we lived in prory st old lenton the man who lived in our house before us used to swear he often saw a monk in the front passage way we all put it down to drink talking. piggy or i never saw anything of him so kept thinking the same as every one else in the area. then when our youngest son was about 2 years old i would sometimes hear him having a conversation if i was in the kitchen his older brother had just moved out of his rooom so thought he was back in his old room talking to his younger brother so one evening i quitely opened the door to the stairs and slowly went up the stairs when i got to his bedroom door i could still hear my son talking to someone gently i opened the door to see my son on his own when i asked him who he was talking to he told me the man in the brown dress with a hood and string tied round it. and a balb head like grandadnow at that age i am sure he knew nothing about monks or the local priory that used to stand on the site of our house i then asked if he was frieghtened of him he said no hees funny i asked what they talked about and he told me all kinds of things but he always has a black book in his hand.yes i did think it was an imaginary friend or some such thing untill he later told us about the man and things he used to tell him .as i said at that time he was to young toknow about monks so how could he discribe one so clearly.

• Upvote 2

Very strange indeed Babs. They do say kids are more susceptible to those kinds of things though. My nephew said he saw an old black man standing in the kitchen and that he was a doctor. All very strange and random as he was in the middle of playing so it must have shocked him for him to pipe up about it. Was only 3 at the v time so didn't even differentiate between white and black people!

A few years back, my brother was delivering parcels to Duncan McMillan House (formerly Mapperley Hospital) on Porchester Road, and happened to mention to the receptionists that our dad worked at the hospital for forty years and knew Duncan McMillan very well before DM died in 1969.

They answered that he is still there, wearing a suit and walking the corridors, and has been seen on many occasions.

• Upvote 2

My daughter and her friend saw an old lady sitting in the corner of her bedroom, in our old farmhouse (It dated back to Tudor times)

An old lady was seen at the kitchen window and in the garden on several occasions, by myself and my ex.

I heard footsteps in the same bedroom one night, it was above our room.

The house was never creepy though, a little brooding when we first moved in, but after a year or so it settled down. I always thought it was because no one stayed there very long, and as we settled in so did the house.

• Upvote 2