Ever seen a ghost!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been watching this discussion with interest and would like to add some of my experiences to the debate. Some years ago, I taught in a small, independent school which was housed in what was the o

It's funny how a site like this, and the various subjects posted, stir forgotten events. Without a platform such as this it would not be possible to jot down and tell a wider audience the little thin

I have had a few occurrences that may fall into this category, but in both of these instances nothing was actually visible. Many years ago I lived in the vale of Belvoir and owned a large rambling ho

Posted Images

Most certainly, when I worked for a short time at Colwick Hall. And as a youngster, my family lived at 5 Birkland Avenue, which was once the residence of J.M Barrie. He haunts the house. I remember very clearly seeing him on the stairs. Then years later, my Aunt who lived next door, was talking to the next occupant, who knowing that we had lived there previously, asked my Aunt of she had any knowledge of my family having an strange experiences. To which we did, even my Dad, who is a non-believer in such things, knew something wasn't right about the house after staying in the house alone when my Mum was expecting my brother.

• Upvote 1

One or two. Mainly in an old farmhouse where I used to live. Heard someone walking about up stairs in the attic room, saw someone standing in the garden, but there was no one there and an old lady was seen twice, once in the corner of the earlier mentioned attic room by one of my daughters and in the kitchen by my husband. And then there was the time one New Years Eve, in the same house, when we were sleeping downstairs and a door into the hall suddenly opened itself (It had an old Suffolk latch) at the same time the door to our bedroom which my parents were using suddenly opened. This was a door which had to be propped open as it usually just swung shut!! Have to say despite all these "events" it wasn't a spooky house, just had a lot of history I think.

• Upvote 1

I have never actually been confronted by a ghost but some experiences have come my way. I believe some people are more receptive than others. My wife and youngest son yes. Me and my eldest No.

When we lived in Nottingham, we knew an old lady had died in the little front bedroom, but NEVER told the kids or any of their friends as they often stayed over. My youngest always felt a presence (he told us later) as did my wife.

My friends daughter, the eldest of a large family, used to stay with us for a bit of peace and quiet. I was on night shift one night when my wife woke up and heard her talking. In the morning over breakfast, my wife mentioned her talking in her sleep. 'No' she said ' I was talking to an old lady who was sitting on my bed'.

Even in the old house we live in now, my wife and grandkids often smell perfume which no one in our family ever uses. I think maybe these things follow my wife around.

• Upvote 2

I believe I saw a Spanish one, once! I've thought about it a lot over the years, wondering whether it was a dream or hallucination (I'm a bit of a cynic by nature) but still tend towards the supernatural. It was all so very vivid and I was scared wide awake - "eyes like chapel 'at-pegs" as Grandma would have said. Have a read.

Nerja Ghost.doc

• Upvote 1

Very interesting. I'm glad you didn't live up to your name. But you did the right thing. Always best to write things down while fresh in your head.

I woke up one morning (it was just getting light) when I saw a bloke standing in the open doorway, he was crystal clear (he vanished in a few seconds). However I don't see crystal clear without glasses as I'm minus 4.5 myopic & everything beyond 2 1/2 feet is a complete blur, I even looked at the video display in the corner & that was a green blur. I know the image wasn't coming through my retina so it must have been generated in my brain & I must have been hallucinating. If I was 6/6 vision I would have probably swore that I'd seen a ghost..

Two tales for you,

To cut the stories down i will leave out the reasons we were in the areas.

I was driving alone along the dark country lanes near Reedham Norfolk, followed by family in another car, on arrival at the destination, my two sisters would not believe my other sister was not in my car! They had been waving at each other all along the journey and they thought it was a prank, searching all round my car for her, eventually another car arrived with the sister in it, all very nervous and shook up because a lady had walked out in front of them on the same dark lane and they had swerved to miss her, when they pulled up to check her, there was no one there. oooerr" Was She With Me!"

And the other story

On the A38, my husband driving, i watched two young people walking down the central reservation, i believe crossing the road but i never saw them climbing the barriers, they were dressed in black and white, the male with a large flat hat on, clothes befitting a past era. I couldn't believe how silly they were. As we approached i said to my husband "Look at those silly b.gg..s" to which a chorus of "where!" from all in the car. At that stage we were level with the couple, and only i saw them, but when we turned our heads, They Were Gone. "oooerr!"

• Upvote 2

No, never seen a ghost, but we visited Wilsons Creek Battlefield, one of the first in the US war between the states, and I asked the missus if she felt she was being stared at, she said yes.

It was a very eerie experience, felt like I was being watched everywhere we walked by hundreds of dead souls.

Parts of the University at Gettysburg were used as a hospital during the war between the states, and hundreds of people who have been in the basement have said they have seen ghosts of soldiers in uniforms of the period, including many Professors..

All in the mind, over active imagination, paranoia,watching to many movies or TV programs on the subject.

Isn't there a thread that was started some time ago, on a subject,in the same vein.

What's next? "I was abducted by aliens".

Even science doesn't discount ghosts.

• Upvote 1

They don't discount perpetual motion or the possibility of time travel, but it doesn't mean it's happened !!

On a visit to Warwick Castle dungeons and also Bodmin Jail in Cornwall, i experienced the most uncomfortable feeling: walking on ground that so many had stood: hopeless and helpless in times gone by: the hole in the floor with a grate over the top in the dungeon, were a person was placed and just left to die. The etchings on the wall that the prisoners had scratched made me feel really uncomfortable. Ayupmeducks #13, i know what you mean about the eerie feeling, i felt that in both of these places. I don't mean it was Ghostly, just very overwhelming.

• Upvote 1

I've not read of any scientist's opinion that supports perpetual motion, in fact all scoff at the idea because of inherent natural losses, like friction.. But there is a "magnetic" motor generator that does support the idea, once in motion, it appears to defy all our known laws of physics.

As they say in science, nothings impossible...

Explain electricity!! After being in an electrician now for some 50 years, apprentice for five years, I still can't, and I don't accept some of the theories taught me during my time at Tech, or in the text books..They are just "convenient" explanations used by someone who like me has no idea...

I've already, in a past post, pointed out some wacky theories regarding electronic theory, in regard to semi conductors and vacuum tubes, they are so stupid, they are laughable, and yet that's THE accepted theory and in every modern day text books on the subjects...

We can feel it, but that's it, it has no smell, cannot be seen etc etc..Just like ghosts??? Some feel a drop in temperature in haunted rooms, some see ghosts, but explain the phenomena......

There's more to this earth than heaven or hell so the saying goes....

• Upvote 1

Never having seen a ghost Steve I can only imagine what others have told me... I worked with a very rational fitter years back at British Gypsum, he didn't see the ghost, but would swear on a stack of Bibles he felt one while working alone on some machinery...He had no rational explanation as to what it was..

There's a Derbyshire lad who has an online book of his experience as a pit electrician, and he was with an Onsetter one night when the shaft signal bell rang three, next thing he heard what sounded like a few blokes in hob nailed boots...Onsetter said ignore it, it happens the same time of night every night...Ghosts??? Apparently the first time it happened, he got up and rang three on the shaft signals and had a phone call from the winding engineman asking why he'd rang three...

Ask any aging pitman over 70 or older if he has any ghost stories, some have.

I have a very open mind to anything, reason??? I've seen too many unexplainable things in breakdowns with electronic and electrical equipment...Even consulting with me engineer we couldn't fathom out why some things had happened.

The best was a reversing contactor that totally disintegrated on load, obvious a phase to phase fault, direct short circuit, but impossible!! It had mechanical interlocks that prevented it, plus electrical interlocks as back up..Unfortunately, there just wasn't enough left of the contactor to come up with an explanation..

OK just to let you waffle on about something else.

When I did O level Physics, part of my course work was to try to invent something, I tried (And failed miserably) to invent a perpetual motion machine! I read two books on the subject and both of them came to the same conclusion, "Perpetual motion will only be possible on the discovery of friction free materials"

In other words neither of them said it was impossible, just that something else needed inventing first.

Then again you believe in ghosts but don't believe a man set foot on the moon!! I know which theory has more physical proof to it !!

If ghosts actually do exist there must be some scientific law(s) governing their appearance or whatever, given that everything else seems to have them.

Can ghosts actually appear on a photograph (I mean as part of the actual photograph)? The reason I ask. In 1985 we went camping at Kelling Heath near Weybourne in Norfolk. One day I walked down to the shop at Weybourne. As I passed the church I decided to look inside and take a few pics as I love old churches. There was no one inside. I looked around, took a few photos and left. When the photos were processed there appeared to be a little girl in a blue top kneeling at the altar. She was definitely not there when I released the shutter.

Well we're coming up to the right time of year to experience them. Samhain is the time when the veils are said to be at their thinnest between the spirit realm and the mortal world. We can't see the air that we breathe or the wind that blows but we know its there!

• Upvote 1