East Row - Basford (Old?)

Well I am very new here and wondering if you could help me out.

Although I was born in Nottingham in 1957, our family moved to Bristol in 1960 then onto Derby in 1965.

My Grandmother however stayed and I am trying to find maps, pictures or some solid information to help me build a picture of where she lived.

She lived at No 4 East row in Basford, or was it Old Basford. this row of cottages was very old and was condemned at some point in the 50s although she stayed there well into the 60s

Other names I remember are

Vernon Street

Cowley Street

River Leen

Baxter's Fish and Chip Shop - actual relative owned this

Billy Bateman's - used to have a fun fair just before Goose fair ???

I would be most grateful for any help to piece these bits of memory together

thanks

Dave

• Upvote 1

:biggrin: Hi Webslave, as a girl, I thought the area of Old Basford a fascinating place, with its hills, terraced houses and cobbled streets.

Katyjay on this site was/ is familiar with Old Basford and I am sure that when she comes Online, she will be able to help. :biggrin:

PS: 'Billy Bateman's Fun Fair', could have been the 'Basford Wakes' that we knew.

Welcome. I have a huge stack of back copies of Basford Bystander. It is a history magazine that is issued every two months. Give me a few days.

• Upvote 1

:biggrin: Hi Webslave, as a girl, I thought the area of Old Basford a fascinating place, with its hills, terraced houses and cobbled streets.

Katyjay on this site was/ is familiar with Old Basford and I am sure that when she comes Online, she will be able to help. :biggrin:

PS: 'Billy Bateman's Fun Fair', could have been the 'Basford Wakes' that we knew.

Thanks Jackson

Basford Wakes sounds about right for the fun fair.

Yeah I remember the cobbled streets, tram lines and trolley buses ! BUT I also remember the outside loos and using the Nottingham Even Post as loo paper :(

Welcome. I have a huge stack of back copies of Basford Bystander. It is a history magazine that is issued every two months. Give me a few days.

Thanks

I will be seeing some family on Friday for a funeral :( so will try and get more info if I can

In my opinion this is East Row in the thirties fronting onto what was High street,roughly 100 yards from the Chapel.

zwql.jpg

This 1946 shot shows a lot of the surrounding houses have gone...replaced on the right with the new Council Houses.

fv2i.jpg

I think your location on picture 3 is a bit out CT. Your 2nd pic shows the chapel and it's forecourt at top right.

• Upvote 1

In my opinion this is East Row in the thirties fronting onto what was High street,roughly 100 yards from the Chapel.

fv2i.jpg

I think your location on picture 3 is a bit out CT. Your 2nd pic shows the chapel and it's forecourt at top right.

this looks like the view from the back of the row of cottages with my Gran's house being the one on the left hand end, No 4. The outside toilets are clearly visible and ours had blackberries growing up the wall !

On the very left of the picture is a small factory unit that reconditioned (gas) engines. The owner omitted suicide in the early sixties. My dad seems to think the the first house on the right was a news agent but I don't recall it.

• 4 months later...

Hi - I was born at 1 East Row Basford Road in 1948. Left in 1960/61 to upgrade to a council house in Aspley. So the row of houses certainly wasn't condemned in the 50s. Went to Guilford Girls, then to Manning Grammar, Clifton Teachers Training College, became secondary teacher. Now live in Somerset. I was taking a nostalgic drive along Basford Road just two days ago trying to work out where East Row would have been. It was great to see the old photo posted here.

I remember the huge tree in our back garden. My mum used to curse it in the autumn when it splattered its berries all over the washing! I also remember Saxby's chimney - also in the photo. There was Hobday's grocers just up the road and Marsden's further up. Anyone recall those?

Sue

• Upvote 1

Suerlam again! Yes it was Old Basford. I also remember fishing for sticklebacks in the River Leen down in new Basford (near Basford crossing) and the Basford Wakes ( i.e. a mini fair) that came to the field there every year just after Goose fair had moved on. Happy childhood days!

• 1 month later...

Hi, I was born at numer 2 east row in 1955. It was my grans house. A lady called blanch lived at no 4 at the time. Her daughter lived at no 3 with her family. They moved to derby, I was15ish the last time I saw them. Blanch died and I lost touch. Could this be your gran?

• Upvote 1

im so glad I stumbled on this site. Ive been looking for my friends who lived on east row for years. Its bought back loads of happy memories for me. I lived there with my gran till I was 5 when we moved to clifton, but she was still there at least till 1965.

• 11 months later...

Fantastic forum and so glad I stumbled across it but why not before?

I am originally from Radford but moved to Bulwell in the 60's then in 1976 joined the Royal Navy but my father still lives in Bulwell, up by the ex Lido, but sadly my Mum passed away this January.

Now starting to research my family tree BROWN and in the 1881 census my great grandfather lived at 3 East Row High Street Basford so this information is great so thank you.

• Upvote 1