Water hardness/softness.

When I was a lttlie my Mam used to put a marble in the kettle. When it came to the boil you could hear it banging around, knocking any lime build-up off the inside surface. Use to work a treat.

• 11 months later...

A lady at work (QMC) asked why the water tasted different? (she's from Birmingham, a soft water area) I said "it's because the water here is hard!" She said "oh, does it go round beating up other waters then? Made me laugh, she was in her 90's. :)

• Upvote 2

As a very keen amateur brewer water quality is important.

Soft water is best for lager/pilsner style (bottom fermented beer). In fact the Czech republic which produces the finest of all pilsners, has very soft, almost pure water. To have water of that quality is almost impossible in UK, no matter what treatments you give it. Its about taking away minerals, not adding to them.

Guinness depends on hard water. It balances out the heaviness of the deep dark malts, and makes it very very smooth. I often artificially harden water for stouts to get this balance. That said I am not a fan of stouts, although I have a friend who adores my stouts and I brew for him. *

I am more of a bitter and mild fan. I do get the "Burton water conditioner" and it is very good provided you know what is in your base water.

*In case there is anyone from HM Customs and Excise, I give him the stout! I dont sell it to him. Honest.

• Upvote 2

Our water comes from our own well, a very deep drilled bore hole some 550 feet deep.

It's drilled through a very thick body of limestone, and as such is loaded with lime, tastes great though, no chlorine no addatives, just pure naturally filtered water.

There's one of the worlds largest springs a few miles to the south of me, I'll have to posts some photos of it and the DC generator the water powered in the early part of the last century for the small town of Mammoth Spring.

Here's the weir at the spring to get the head of water needed for the generator.

DSC_0114.jpg

This is the lake formed by the weir, I'll have to upload more photos to photobucket..

DSC_0126.jpg