England - Football

Might be wrong (often am) but did anyone else feel last night's performance was like a breath of fresh air? exciting, hard working, devoid of any moaning, pouting etc (Rooney looked like a different player) true maybe naive and risky at times but felt had poland scored 3 we'd have got 4? even Hart made a good save!

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well done the girls, some of the overpaid fairies in the men's game should take note of how you conduct yourselves. You are a credit to your sport.

European Champions Congratulations fo the England ladies!

Apparently the badge for England Women is Three Irons.      

I enjoyed the match very much, plenty of talent to enjoy, one strange decision from "Woy" (sic) Why take off Sturridge when he was just about the best player on the pitch and Welbeck appeared to be limping?

We need a bit more vision in the midfield, I thought there wee a lot of key moments when the ball should have been pushed out wide , especially to "Baines" who was very creative imho

That said, I still don't feel we're strong enough to go on and 'do a '66 and all that' and I will gladly eat my words if I'm proved wrong!!

• 2 years later...

Mr Vaughan good little player..............not quite a Terry Hennessey though hey........

Got me thinking about other Welsh internationals who played for Forest,and can only recall two,........Ronnie Rees and Trevor Hockey.

#6 Believe it or not Benjamin a total of 16 players have represented Wales while playing for Forest.

A few names that you will know. I did google it , it's not from memory.

Mark Crossley

Rob Earnshaw

Chris Gunter

David Phillips

Dean Saunders

David Jones, centre half.

I'd rather have seen Townsend included than any one of Sturridge, Sterling or Lallana.

He's scored 18 goals in a 7 season senior career. Sterling scored that many in 3 seasons with Liverpool, Sturridge scored 43 in 3 seasons with Liverpool and Lallana scored 48 with Southampton and you'd prefer Townsend to any of them? I haven't watched Newcastle much so maybe you could explain what you think he'd bring to the team compared to them. I'm not being argumentative, just curious.

Townsend is not England class and never will be. In my mind, Lallana is better than Sterling at least.

Well, a club goalscoring record shouldn't be the only criterion for selection. Judging on their international appearances my personal opinion is Sterling is too inconsistent, Lallana never looks convincing to me and Sturridge has been injured so much recently that to my mind he's only 4th choice striker for England now.

I also can't help thinking that if Sterling was that good a player he wouldn't be in and out of the side at Manchester City so much.

Townsend has done well for England when given the chance and has finished the season in good form.

Yes, you certainly can't compare club form all the time, because Newcastle gave had a disastrous season.

If he Townsend was that good, then why did Spurs release him. Inconsistent to say the least.

Me I'd have gambled with the form players instead of the tried & trusted & those of questionable fitness, there's quite a few that can count themselves very very lucky having only retained there places on past performances.

• Upvote 1

I think it's Rio Ferdinand who questioned Rooney going. His point (and I agree ) is that England have no chance of winning so it would be better to build for 2018. Unfortunately with Hodgson's contract up for renewal he'll want to get any short term success he can in the Euros.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Wayne Rooney will only be 32 in 2018 so could still play a key part - provided of course he's still good enough.

Age doesn't necessarily matter - Bobby Charlton was 32 at the time of the 1970 World Cup and was still one of our best players. As we all know if he hadn't been substituted in the quarter final we wouldn't have lost.

Your'e supposed to build between competions not at them,......think we've been building since 66'......lets start winning summat,.......mind you in 66'....our first Division was full of English (British) players and Managers...........

Wayne Rooney will only be 32 in 2018 so could still play a key part - provided of course he's still good enough.

Age doesn't necessarily matter - Bobby Charlton was 32 at the time of the 1970 World Cup and was still one of our best players. As we all know if he hadn't been substituted in the quarter final we wouldn't have lost.

The game has moved on physically from when players could have a fag at half time and still play at the top level though.

Talking of a Fag at half time.............we had one when the ball went out for a throw-in..................

• 4 years later...

Got to give it to owd Boris he’s ahead of the game in this vaccination malarkey, I’d let him ref the final 

Its coming home, it’s coming home, it’s coming, footballs coming home englandflag

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12040/12233209/euro-2020-prime-minister-boris-johnson-confirms-uk-offer-to-host-extra-games

• 4 months later...

I must admit that a I am not particularly a football fan, although I did go to forest matches, in the Trent End of course, many moons ago. I have sat through some dire and lacklustre England matches in the past so was not particularly swept up in the euros fever and the “Its coming home” mantra. 
I have seen some of the headlines in the European papers ridiculing our teams performance, not sure what match they were watching but we held Italy to a 1-1 draw. They didn’t win the actual football match or the extra time for that matter they won on penalties. I know I am not a football officiado(?spelling), no I don’t need the offside rule explained thank you, and am perhaps biased but that is how I see it from the outside. All cudos to our goalkeeper he was magnificent and I must admit I haven’t seen an England team play like that for such a looong time. Yes I will say the memories of 1966 came flooding back.

My heart went out to the young man (sorry don’t know his name the only one in the team I can put a name to is Harry Kane) who took the last penalty, such a big responsibility for one so young. The idiots (I could use stronger language) who are abusing the players that didn’t score need standing up against a wall and shooting. Them and the other idiots who rushed security at Wembley could have cost us the chance of securing our World Cup bid with Ireland before it has got off the ground. Hope they are very proud of themselves. 
Anyway it would seem that the three lions have woken from their slumber, stretched and flexed their claws for the first time in a while. Hopefully next year in the World Cup we will hear them roar as well. To the rest of the footballing world, especially those in Europe who have poured scorn on our national team, enjoy your moment but, be afraid, be very afraid:)