• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dry cleaning is expensive, give your clothes to a charity shop and they will clean them. Then buy them back, it works out cheaper.

Turn an old phone book into a useful personal address book . Simply cross out the names of the people you don't know !

If you have trouble threading a needle, hold the needle over a piece of white paper or card and the eye will be more clear.

If you have trouble threading a needle, :unsure: hold the needle over a piece of white paper or card and the eye will be more clear. :)

Heard of these?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_16?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=needle+threaders&sprefix=needle+threaders%2Caps%2C194

Bubblewrap,

Thank you for showing the advert for needle threaders, i know some people might not know about them, and that is why this topic is handy. :) I have used the little metal ones many times but find they come apart very quickly, so using the white paper background is always a good free available standby. I think i will have to invest in one of the more modern ones, they look more sturdy. :)

When I'm making a cake or pastry, I find the counter tops are too high and not comfortable to reach into the bowl but I find putting the mixing bowl in the empty kitchen sink and then having it lower down, helps with the mixing.

#30 Carni I have just been and had my eyes tested and sorted for new pair of specs in hopes I can see to thread a needle........hell of an expensive needle threader!!! lols

Yeah, but his are perished....LOL

When I'm making a cake or pastry, I find the counter tops are too high and not comfortable to reach into the bowl but I find putting the mixing bowl in the empty kitchen sink and then having it lower down, helps with the mixing.

THAT...I will remember. Only the other week when I had a mad baking day my arms were aching mixing pastry on the kitchen worktop.

:biggrin: Just lately I've had loads of windfall apples and pears.

After peeled, what I do with the fruit is: cut up and place in steamer (apples and pears together), some tablespoons of honey placed in saucepan below, bring to boil, then steam gently until fruit is tender........

Result: Good, nutritious fruit, home grown and costing little.....

PS: The combination of apples and pears makes for fruit tasting extra special. :biggrin:

#35 Carni, I think I was past the white paper stage, I'd been struggling all week trying the needle against a variety of backgrounds, and couldn't find my threader. I was even considering using a bigger needle!!! All my daughters fault, her fleecy waterproof need sewing up. For some reason they don't seem to have taught them any practical skills like needlework and cooking at school. Mind you at nearly 23 it's time she left home anyway, if only she could afford to!!

Red wine spills on the carpet, easy, DON'T rub it, just pour salt on the spill, it will soak the wine out of the carpet, add more as necessary, let it dry, then vacuum up, no stain! The trick is to leave it to dry, don't disturb it until!!

Yeah but even a little blood left behind shows up under UV light.....I'll refrain from murder, too hard to get rid of the body...LOL

• Upvote 1

Not at all....they say that saliva is also a good method of removing blood stains:-

Saliva Method

Using saliva can be an effective way to remove blood stains. The enzymes in saliva that help digest food also break down the proteins in blood, and it's those proteins that make blood so difficult to clean. Note that this method is best used on small stains.

1. Gather some spit in your mouth.
  2. Spit on the blood-stained area.
  3. Rub the stains out.
  4. Soak in cold water.

vampire2