Where have you gone

Reading the posts submitted over the years i find myself wondering what happens to these people when they stop posting no doubt some have passed away but what a tribute to this site that people take time out of there lives to pass on thier knowledge and experiences and listen to others the fact that this site is busier than ever means our children/grandchildren can have an insight into our lives from a whole range of different people.What do you think.

• Upvote 1

I totally agree. We have documented the passing of several members over the years, some who were prolific contributor's. Their posts remain as a tribute to them and a source for future readers!

• Upvote 1

A hell of a lot of information for future generations who wonder...'Why did they do that?' or 'Wonder what was here then?'

Questions we have a hell of a job finding answers to...all the tiny details for them thanks to the PC

By the way...found this...they were nearly right about computers...just got the size wrong...Wonder if PC World have one with a ships wheel on it... :laugh: FULL AHEAD BOTH!!

jwnh.jpg

Love that bit....'However the needed technology will not be economically feasible for the average home'

Just love the computer. I agree about people who suddenly stop posting. Is there no way the administrators can find out. Do they have access to home phone numbers perhaps?

This issue came up in the "Little white lies" thread the other day. Not really sure what the answer is. Even in the event of a terminal illness, I doubt that anyone would know their expiry date. I have left a Word file of Log ins and pw's on my computer for such an eventuality, but I wonder if in the stress of events it would ever be found or used. Oh well, live for the now I guess.

I am glad you raised this.

One problem we WILL have, and I hope its a long time in the future, is we will lose remotely hosted images and information.

If you would like to give us access to your photobucket account, we can keep it going. Otherwise, posts made without a valid image, in years to come,

may end up in the Trash Can!

In respect of comments made in this thread, could you imagine, finding a forum on the internet with conversations by our Grandparents.

Complete with their Flickr, photobucket, Youtube, etc content.

• Upvote 1

Talking about old forum and computer links, My mother died a few years back aged 81, she had a computer, she was into family history and did lots of research, recording everything she found, she also kept a diary on her computer of every thing and news about everyone, along with, her and my dads memoirs, from when they were children to not long before she died.

That computer has now been sitting under my stairs for 5 years, along with her notebooks and code of access, and to tell the truth, the thought of turning that computer on and looking at my mothers life, at the moment scares me to death..............

Sure wish we could, Mick. It would be a gold mine. A few months ago I recorded a Blu ray with a pile of info on where we lived, worked etc. Included slides and photos. Sent to both kids and copies kept at home. Question now becomes, how long will the recorded media last? Will blu ray players even be in use thirty or so years from now? Or worse still will anybody even be interested!?

Looking at the members page, there are a lot of members like below, who have joined the forum and never have posted or looked at it for years, maybe their account can be deleted to make space, because they may never return...........

Aardvark

Joined 05-December 07

Members · 0 posts

#11, the DVD's might last, but the data has to be protected from direct UV light, or it gets corrupted, same with CD's.

I keep two CD backups of all my important data, and they are kept out of the light.

Another point, keep CD's and DVD's away from moisture, it can penetrate the plastic via cracks and corrode the substrate the data is "burned" on to...

Melton, you don't need to bother with the old computer, all you need is the hard drive, I've recovered data from one of my wifes old computers that got drowned in a flood a few years back, some data was lost, bu I recovered all the important files she thought she'd lost.

The computer was dead, CPU screwed, Motherboard was corroded....I removed the hard drive and piggy backed it to another computers hard drive...Didn't work at first, but eventually came to life and I accessed the files, they were copied to CD's and her hard drive...

If the hard drive has bearing failures, there are companies who specialize in recovering the "platters" and copying the data for you. Most are reasonable in charges..

• Upvote 1

Looking at the members page, there are a lot of members like below, who have joined the forum and never have posted or looked at it for years, maybe their account can be deleted to make space, because they may never return...........

Aardvark

Joined 05-December 07

Members · 0 posts

I still maintain that late night alcohol is responsible for a large number of those cases. Come home from the pub, browse the net, find something about Nottingham, sign up, ...........and then wake up next day and forget you ever did it.

• Upvote 1

There is hope for semi-drowned data. Being a forgetful old burger, I keep forgetting to remove things like memory sticks and memory cards from my trousers pockets when my wife washes my trousers. All the data comes up no problem. I don't know how long I can keep getting away with it.

Memory sticks and memory cards are pretty resilient to water.... A Canon camera was found over three years after being dropped off a bridge into a river many many feet below.

The camera was obviously a write off, but still had it's memory card in it. The finder checked the card after leaving it to dry out, and it still had all it's data on it, from everything he found he tracked down the cameras owner, he used photographs on the card coupled with the cameras embed ed data on the card.

He located the owner and returned the camera and card to it's owner...

There was another camera found washed up on a beach with card still in it, camera was broken, card still yielded all photo data..Owner was never tracked down.

Just don't try and wash your CD's or DVD's though......LOL

You can gently wash CDs and DVDs, just don't use very hot water and don't immerse them. You can also use a fine metal polish to get minor scratches out of them! Dry carefully with a soft cloth!

I have even washed the old floppy discs (assistant spilled coffee on one) but you have to cut them out of the sleeve.

We did recover data off a hard drive that was dropped into a lake while still running! (Don't ask). The recovery company had trouble but did get most of it. It would have been easier if the disk had not been spinning at the time it went under!