One of those "If only I'd been there a split second earlier" Moments

Just had a massive thunderstorm directly overhead. I went out to get a picture of the Rainbow that was forming , it took me that little bit longer as I had to change lens.

10364330165_6bde12c8fd_k.jpg10364535513_391cdbae77_k.jpgBugger missed it !!

• Upvote 1

I had a "If only I'd been there a few moments later I would have missed it!" moment.

I'd taken the train from Chamonix to Montenvers to have a look at the mountain called the Dru (I'm a bit of a climbing nut). There is, or rather was, a famous feature called the Bonatti Pillar, which had many famous and historical routes on it. To put it bluntly it fell down while I was looking at it (I didn't touch it!).

I posted it on a UK climbing forum, and the British Mountaineering Council contacted me to ask if they could use it in their magazine. Shortly afterwards a Scandinavian outdoor magazine also used it.

It's not the most technically brilliant photo, but talk about in the right place at the right time. My first thought was "I hope no poor s** is climbing on that" and the second was "I wonder how far those rocks will bounce?" The face is 12,000 feet above sea level, I think the face itself is about 6,000 feet.

Dru1_zps98a88113.jpg

• Upvote 1

Although I have been on holiday in the States many times and taken several thousand snaps these are my favourites. They fit into this category of "if I had got my camera then.."

This first one was taken just after we had driven over Wolf Creek Pass. I had stopped to take a lovely shot of the mountains and the snow when I spotted this Coyote. He had some thing on his mind and I relised that he was hunting. I anticipated this picture but just as I snapped away, the person in the car shifted and so it isnt as sharp as I would have liked. But beggers cant be choosers.

IMG_0022_zps12c039d3.jpg[/

This next shot was taken while driving from Cody in Wyoming across the new road to Cooke City and Yellowstone. I was driving very slowly as the road is wide and very few vehicles seem to use it. Suddenly a Coyote ran across the road and darted down the embankment into the long grass. I stopped the car and got out with the camera to see what had made the animal run. The coyote suddenly emerged with this in its mouth.

deltocook003_zps06509fbc.jpg

The wriggling ball of fur was a baby Badger.

The mother soon came out of the long grass and gave chase in a hopeless attempt to get its baby back.

matttocook010_zps965beaf8.jpg

URL]

I missed a great shot years back, I was at my cousins and had left my camera at his house, there was a small dog, he had his front paws up on a glass shop door peering in. probably his owner was in there, with the dog and his reflection in the glass, it would have been that one in a million shot!

This was taken a few years back with an el cheapo digital camera, they just walked through my yard, I could have grabbed one, they were not fazed in the slightest, even when I got within arm length.

TurkeysMarch2008-1.jpg

What are they Ayeupmeducks? Look like Guinea Fowl to me, if so we had a dozen in our garden at the previous house. Slowly, one by one, the fox got them. They slept in an oak tree and laid eggs in the flower beds but we never ate any (eggs!) because we didn't have a clue how long the eggs had been laying there. They were as good as geese at protecting our property and kicked up a fuss when any stranger's car arrived in the driveway.

• Upvote 1

Yep a Tom with his hens, they and many others live around here, they roost in trees.

We had a pair of guinea fowl adopt us, sadly, he survived, the hen was probably taken by Coyotes.

I often see turkey eggshells when I mow the fields.

I was looking out the kitchen window a fair while back and I saw the oddest bird I've ever seen, took me by surprise!! By the time I'd got the camera out, he/she had gone..It was a Roadrunner, yes they exist in real life and no they don't go "beep beep" either...LOL

• Upvote 1

You did well then, I've had a few published but never got more than 50 quid (so far!)