We wore wellies, or took our shoes off and went barefoot. Still got a pair of black ones with red rims. Black ones mean I am working class. Our class superiors wear green ones, and littlies of indeterminate class wear pink, blue and yellow ones. :) Seen pictures of the Queen and Philip wearing green wellies.

• Upvote 1

According ta dictionary Galoshes are overshoes, them yella things are Wellybobs.

And they aren't long enough. Proper wellies go up to your knees at least. Mid-calf ones are poncy. :)

• Upvote 2

Nothing is forever. Time was when galoshes were an overshoe to keep ones posh shoes dry. But in modern times words get hijacked just like the word which once meant bright and gaudy. My dad used to call willies 'Gum boots'.

Anyway, back to galoshes. I don't think I can remember seeing anyone wearing the things. We either wore wellingtons or got wet feet if it rained. At least old fashioned shoes were more waterproof than trainers.

dave wears them over his shoes when he goes fishing says there grate when its damp or a bit muddy but not that bad that you need proper long wellies and a lot lighter and easier to store in the car or in his fishing gear. brought them about 3 years ago from armynavy anchor stores cost about a fiver zip up the ront on the top so you can get your foot in with shoses on then zip up to keep you dry

• 9 years later...

Trying to resurrect an old topic/post, Wellington boots, why do socks always find their way off your feet and into the toe part of your wellies, mother used to say "your socks have gone to bed) but even today when I took my wellies off my socks were bunched up in the toe of the boot, it doesn't happen when you wear shoes or even walking/work boots but why welly boots?

Rog

Loved me ''Wellies'' with my short trousers...being ''Posh'' off Old Bestwood estate...it was the height of fashion to turn the top 'three inches'' down......revealing a nice bright ''Grey'' colour....

• Like 1

When I were about 9 or 10, a lot of us had 'wellies'. Didn't have socks and not only that but wellies were all we had. In winter they were up and in summer we rolled them right down. When they got too tight, my dad used to cut off the toecap and cut them down so they were like rubber sandals.

Those were the days.

• Like 2
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Galoshes

There were a few children at Berridge who regularly attended in wellingtons. They were not permitted to wear them in school and were required to put plimsolls on until home time. It was supposed to be something to do with wellingtons being bad for the feet. Those who wore them regularly generally didn't wear socks under them. I don't know whether that would have made any difference.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, philmayfield said:

It’s probably because walking in wellies creates a vacuum effect which pulls the socks down. Newton’s fourth Law of Motion perhaps?

Would it be worth trying to put a snorkel down each welly to combat the effect of the vacuum?

Rog

Rog., you could always try drilling a small hole on the instep, to allow air to circumnavigate the foot inside. Admitted mind you, they would no longer be water resistant. Just saying.    B.

• Like 1