Are ya reedin' owt good?

Just started reading a very old copy of The Lancashire Witches which I picked up in a second hand book shop. Makes a refreshing change to all the "chick lit" I read over the summer (for easy reading while working) Think it's going to take a while to read though as a lot of it is written in northern dialect from the 1500's, .......even more difficult to read than our very own Notts Speak!!!!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

At a recent funeral I saw a lot of my family I don't see a lot of (sad that happens at funerals). I started taking the mick out of my brothers 2 grand kids about spending all their time on phones &amp

Not so much of the science & more of the fiction.

Yup, everyone's posts on Nottstalgia

At a recent funeral I saw a lot of my family I don't see a lot of (sad that happens at funerals). I started taking the mick out of my brothers 2 grand kids about spending all their time on phones & lap tops etc. I was pleasantly surprised to be told by Alexandria aged 10 that reading is her passion, not computer games, and she has read all the Enid Blyton books that I read when I was a primary school kid. There's hope yet.

• Upvote 5

:biggrin: Hi Bilbraborn #27: I've recently been informed that my 6 year old grand-daughter has taken to going to bed early so that she can read her Enid Blyton books; the news thrilled me, especially as I used to do the same when a child - nothing could compare to escaping up to bed with a Library book or one of Enid's super mysteries. :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

I have just started to reread Flowers in the Attic by V C Andrews, I first read the series a few years ago and now i have discovered them again (put away and forgotten about), That is if i can tear myself away from Nottstalga long enough to read again. :) I used to think you couldn't beat a good book; not sure now! :unsure:

Jackson, I used to tell my eldest son, as he was learning to read, that a good book was an escape into another world for a while. He often reminds me how right I was. We often swap books these days.

Funny thing, I often wake up at about 1 O'clock in the morning to the clunk as the book I fell asleep reading falls on the floor.

Who uses Kindle and why? When I go on holiday or visit friends and family I will download a few books to my Kindle, to read when away, but at home it has to be real books every time, I find Kindles OK, but to me the feel and smell of a book and bookshop is part of the reading pleasure..

• Upvote 1

Exactly my sentiments MeltonS. Trouble is, I might need to strengthen my floorboards because of the number of books we have accumulated.

... I might need to strengthen my floorboards because of the number of books we have accumulated.

One of the reasons I went Kindle! And, moving them all to the new house was: a) no picnic and b) a waste of time 'cause we don't have the space so I took boxes of them to the local library for their used book sale!

(I still prefer real books though!)

I will never give up my books, especially non fiction as I use them for reference and often have four or five open at the same time.

I use my kindle for holiday/away from home reading and usually for the free reads, but would never give up real books, as you say Bilbraborn, I always have several on the go at the same time.

When I was at school I found a book in the Library by Irish author James Joyce. It was called A Portrait of an artist as a Young Man. It was composed od short stories. I found it so interesting I managed to get hold of most of his other books to read. However, I met my match with Finnegan's Wake. It was all written in Dublin dialect.

I will never give up my books, especially non fiction as I use them for reference and often have four or five open at the same time.

Snap most of my collection of books is non-fiction.

I have a large(ish) collection on Nottingham & shire,

Earliest(original) printed in 1803 although I do have a reprint of Deering's history of Nottingham.

I have a Drales 1860

Wright's 1868

Kelly's 1891,1916,1925,1928,1932 & 1941

Blairs 1967 7 1971

None were that cheap but were not expensive as directories go.

I intend to buy at least one more directory around Christmas.

:biggrin: Hi Bibraborn, I note that you, like me, admire the literary works of James Joyce - love the poetry of WB Yeats too.

A few years back I took a bus holiday around Southern Ireland - the Dingle Peninsula. We stopped for a time at a hotel that Charlie Chaplin had frequented; I bought a coffee and brandy in the bar and was delighted to chance upon a collection of black and white photographs of James Joyce enjoying a glass, standing at this same bar.

I bought a poster of 'Irish Writers'; here's a quote of Joyce's from this:

"I will not serve in that in which I no longer believe, whether it call itself my home, my fatherhood or my church; and I will try to express myself in some mode of life or art as freely as I can and as wholly as I can using for my defence the only arms I allow myself to use - silence, exile, and cunning."

I admire Joyce for his Strength, Independence, Individuality, Belief in himself; it's not so much his writing but the life of the man that fascinates me - wonder if it's because I have Irish blood and always strive for the very same freedom in my life?

PS: a fascinating read is: 'Nora' - a biography on Nora Barnacle, Joyce's wife...........

PPS: also wonder if it's my Irish blood that makes me cry when I read Yeats' poetry, or hear Sinead O'Connor sing?

It wouldn't have been difficult to get a photo of James Joyce enjoying a glass. LOL. By the way, did you have a go at reading Finnegan's Wake?

:biggrin: Hi Bilbraborn, always got half way through Joyce's novels but his short stories and his life I find good reading.

Here's an interesting fact - you may know this: in his travels, he earnt his bread and butter money by teaching and whilst doing so, managed to write when lying down on the edge of his bed - his notebook on the floor, incredible!

"Wartime: Britain 1939 - 1945" by Juliet Gardiner. A fairly hefty tome but compelling and fascinating, giving an insight into life on the Home Front, telling about how the people in this country were affected by and dealt with life during WW II.

Difficult to visualise that I was born just 2 years after the end of the War with austerity making living at times even more difficult than during hostilities, though we didn't know it at the time !

Presently at the Festival of Romance in Bedford with my daughter who is promoting her recently published first book. Lots of books to look at here and chance to chat to the authors.

Now available on Netflix (at least, it is here).

:biggrin:Michael, I well remember the long and interesting series: 'The World At War'; I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't available on 'You Tube'.........

PS: I Love History - it was always one of my best subjects at school. :biggrin:

PPS: I'll be checking You Tube after browsing 'Nottstalgia'....................

• Upvote 1

MB, re #47, only caught a couple of episodes as life was pretty hectic at that time, just moved house, changed jobs and twins born November 73. It was on again I believe a couple of years back,( probably History channel or Yesterday), but again did not see this for different reasons!

Although I have a keen interest in all eras of history, I am more fascinated with the impact of world events on "ordinary" folk, and to get back to this thread, I have enjoyed the Dominic Sandbrook history of the 50's, and 60's - Never Had it so Good,, and the David Kynaston social and economic histories of the 40's and 50's, - Austerity Britain and Family Britain.

• Upvote 1