Are ya reedin' owt good?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

At a recent funeral I saw a lot of my family I don't see a lot of (sad that happens at funerals). I started taking the mick out of my brothers 2 grand kids about spending all their time on phones &amp

Not so much of the science & more of the fiction.

Yup, everyone's posts on Nottstalgia

for those who like English history may I recommend Sharon Penman. An American authoress who meticulously researches her books and in the doing so makes them very interesting reading.

"The Good Soldiers" David Finkel.

True account of the Iraqi war, journalist, David Finkel was "embedded" with a platoon of US Rangers on their 15 month tour of the war.

Very gripping account and tells a real "Pulls no punches" account of how it really was !

Can't put it down !

• 2 weeks later...

Not finished it yet but it contains some interesting thoughts and idea's, my mates got volume 1 and I've ended up with volume 2

DSCF3983_zps244249d3.jpg

Rog

:biggrin: Reading: Alan Sillitoe's* Autobiography 'Life Without Armour' at present - thorough, can feel Alan's Voice within...........

Just finished Cilla Black's Autobiography: 'What's It All About?' - great insight into the 60's and her acknowledged dependence on her kind and wise Manager Brian Epstein.

Lined up is: Antonia Fraser's 'The Weaker Vessel' - looking forward to this read; know I will enjoy as I did reading her: 'Mary Queen Of Scots' and 'Cromwell'.

* My grandma was Alan's wet nurse - I have a great anecdote on this - grandma often corresponded with him. :biggrin:

I am reading The Day The World Came To Town 9/11 in Gander, Newfoundland, by Jim Defede. He wrote it in 2003, but I'd never heard of the book's existance till recently, when a friend sent me a copy as a surprise. It's going to be a soggy read, me thinks, but wonderful.

Still reading The Lancashire Witches. Quite hard going due to the size of the writing, and the dialect that it is written in, I think!

Next on the list is King Jesus by Robert Graves.....(quite seasonal I suppose) Should be interesting reading as Robert Graves was an atheist.

I am currently about half way through an engrossing book titled " The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" by rebecca skloot. Its an amazing book that should be read by a lot more people. It telles the true story of a woman suffering from cervical cancer who went into Hospital and had Cells removed without her permission. Thos cells were unusual because they didn't die off but rather reproduced by themselves and were subsequently harvested for research all over the world with so many people making shed loads of money without Henrietta or her family getting any at all. The cells are today known by the letters He-La cells and are used for research into all sorts of things.

I keep tryin' ter read Sir David Jasons 'My Story'

I see he is making a one-off show of his old comedy with Ronnie Barker 'Open All Hours' - presumably with Grenville as the grumpy shop keeper this time.

The story of Liver Eating Johnson who appears in the book called Crow Killer mentioned by Mattsdigs in another thread , throws up some interesting differences .

According to this , Liver Eating Johnson died in 1900

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liver-Eating_Johnson

However looking on the old , admittedly English newspaper archives there are several reports of his death in 1878 .

There is also this story in the Sheffield Daily Telegraph that appeared 10/11/1883 that seems to give a different reason for how he got his name . Makes you wonder how much was embellished . Unless there were two Liver Eating Johnsons !

Apologies for the layout .

11081224394_9f4aab4d92_z.jpg

11081115955_b7d96fd2fc_z.jpg

11081205066_67b08c2b59_z.jpg

11081305543_cb32b514ee_z.jpg

11081223554_93c5b97a84_z.jpg

That report would appear to be out of a military man's recollections of his life under the flag.

The story of that photograph is fascinating and I am quite happy to recount it if any one is interested.

My dad died last month and clearing his house we found a big stack of books next to his bed (funny how I take after him on that one). There are a lot of books about the war from different points of view (such as one about evacuation of children). There are also a couple about the Women's Land Army (my mum was in that). I've got to sort them out but definitely some interesting reading there.

Mattsdigs,

Re post #66 . Sorry I don't have the newspaper , that is from an online source .

However have sent you a PM . (Look for the red notification on the envelope at the very top of this page and click it )

There you will find links to each part of the article and how to print them off yourself .