Microsoft securty essentials.

I'm running MSE + windows defender firewall on windows 7 (after mcafee free trial ran out) mostly using chrome & firefox, this was after Money Savings Expert recommended it. Now I've read it's not very good on one website yet other websites say it's pretty good. I'm totally confused, should I be using another antivirus? BTW I've not had any probs since I got this laptop a year ago..

I've used most of them - AVG used to be very good, then got more hungry for memory and disc space. I then switched to Avast until it started down the same route, as well as always popping up trying to sell me upgrades I neither wanted nor needed.

I now use MSE and it's fine. Doesn't hog the CPU, doesn't delay boot-up, and just seems to do what AV should be doing - sitting quietly in the background ready to stop viruses before they can attack, and keeping itself up to date without making a song and dance about it.

Best for your money is Kaspersky, all round protection in one package, even has an inbuilt firewall, updates regularly...Been buying it now for a few years, gives warning if you get on an "unsafe" site that's trying to "phish" etc...

Kaspersky has a high reputation!

I use MSE on my laptop but recently had some unwanted "toolbar" additions appear on my system, after a download, so I enquired with a friend who has been in the IT game for 10 years.

He talked me through removing the garbage.

He then recommended installing Avast Free, which will run happily alongside MSE with no issues. He also recommended Malwarebytes anti malware program and update and scan weekly.

Avast picks up things that MSE has missed and MWB does a great cleanup.

Was amazed at what was lurking on my machine ! all clean now, but it still picks up the odd "PUP" potential unwanted program.

The Avast can be set up to do a boot scan too, which scans potential threats before they load.

• 11 months later...

Lots around offering basic security.

One I have been using for many years is SUPERantiSpyware I have found to be very good, there is a free version that works quite well too.

Another housekeeping programme is CCleaner, again a free version is available with regular updates.

Smiffy

I have found that online reviews whether for tv's, hotels, or just about anything else are mostly useless. Folks that had a bad experience hate the product or service, others love it so how do you choose?

On my desktop i have always used Comodo antivirus and firewall. Add to that CCcleaner and Malwarebytes. Never had a problem except the odd sneaky PUP. No problems on laptop just use Linux.