What were you and why /Teenage Years

I was a skinhead because rockers/hells angels where into motor bikes mods where into demos and education oh and both had long hair and looked scruffy.I was a Forest supporter but not a thug which is hard when a lot of people around you like hitting people i spent more time dragging people off needless to say that phase did not last long oh and no skinheads i knew where into drugs i think rockers and students participated in wacky stuff thats what a good education gave you. What was your thing when you left school and why Oh yes is there any ex skinheads on this site

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ian good post mate,........met you liked you,.but as regards col,met him liked him,and so as to keep it in thread,i'll tell you what I was like as a teenager, lol..........had many mates that I liked

Are you being a little unkind, Ian?  Everyone should be allowed to 'like'  whatever post they choose without being called a sheep.   

Saturday night was at "Theatre Royal" watching "MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET" The story of how four stars made Rock'n'Roll history Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis and Carl Perkins

I remember the first Skinhead I ever met.

At the Disco, 'Union Stewards' Pub St Anns, 1968.

He was a trent ender called 'Hoss' and a real gent as I remember :)

I wonder what happened to him?

We were approached to be in a film called Ragmans Daughter filmed in Meadows we did not go no financial advantage but some of our mates did they can be seen in the film on a train supposedly on their way to borstal if my memory serves me right i dont knowi if any of them were called hoss or if im getting mixed up with another cowboy.

For just one year I was into drape jackets. Then sky blue jeans with a big turn-up. Then I had my head shaved rather dramatically as I had joined the Royal Marines and left the world of silly clothes ? (A suit with buttons held in place with split rings.)

think you might guess from my weme that i was a rocker through and through loved the bikes as for the drugs the only times i was offered drugs was by mods or my younger brothers mates skinheads was never offered any by rockers or hells angels

I was never a "true" rocker albeit I had a flying jacket, had an older brother who was a real teddy boy and into motorbikes, I loved motorbikes and sometimes wore tight blue jeans !

I still have my love of two wheels though and currently run a BMW R1200GS (Long Way Round -bike) and a Vespa 300cc scooter !.

I became a mod I suppose when I met my girlfriend as she didn't like motorbikes only scooters, and the circle of friends we were in at the time.

I love ex army gear (and still do) so the parkas were up my street ! and very practical for the cold weather.

In my formative years, I used to hang out in the "Gay Cafe" on Burton Road. In them days of yore the word "GAY" meant "to be happy" and not what it means today. Toooooooo young to know.

We used to go to' The Gay Cafe' in our early teens, about 1961 ish, our paths may have crossed. The twist was the in dance, and a bit of Jiving. After it closed at night there would be a crowd of us all walk up through a little passage (Sorry, i can't remember the road names) and come out on Main Road Gedling, we would then go up Westdale Lane and up past the Tavern onto Concrete Canyon (The Pit Estate). Ahhh Memories :rolleyes:

I hung out with a gang of rockers but a lot of my mates from school were mods. didn't bother me that much as we spent our weekends cycling to Matlock and, being a railway fanatic, shed bashing (all train buffs of that era know what that means). We did youth hostelling. In 1967, easter holidays spent cycling to the Isle of Wight and in the summer, after many weekends doing practice hikes, 9 of us spent 3 weeks walking the Pennine Way. Great days. following year me and a mate did the Brecon Beacons. If I could go back in time I'd do it all again.

:biggrin: I was very sensible during the years of my youth; in fact too sensible.

Looking back, what I should have done was slung my baby on my hip and gone and joined the rest of the Hippies troopsing to the Rock Festivals back then; what better than to have had first hand experience of Jimi Hendrix live.

Now, through the wonders of technology I can watch him on 'You Tube'; just one complaint: whatever happened to his best version of 'All Along The Watchtower'? - his step sister removed it because it was Sublime, that's what happened! :crazy:

• Upvote 1

A large category which hasn't been mentioned so far; in the late 1960s/early 70s there were a lot of teenagers who weren't exactly hippies, but had long hair, denim, ex-Army great coats; hung around at Selectadisc; considerable dandruff; listened to Deep Purple; Led Zep; early Genesis and Pink Floyd. They weren't as old as mods or rockers, and they weren't bothered about protest singers or folkies.

They were always seen as a fair target for attack by skinheads,, who in my experience were always aggressive thugs.

Mod.................the girls were prettier......................or so it seemed, bloody expensive though, trying to keep up with all the new clobber!!

Ha Ha! A lot of the skinheads from the 60s and 70s are natural skinheads now LOL! I can laugh because I bucked the family trend and kept all my hair, unlike my 2 sons.

I had long hair in the 70s complete with beard and moustache. I find shorter hair is easier to keep clean these days. At least being a teenager in the 60s didn't mean all those clothes labels on show or wearing jeans with your ass hanging out.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

We used to go to' The Gay Cafe' in our early teens, about 1961 ish, our paths may have crossed. The twist was the in dance, and a bit of Jiving. After it closed at night there would be a crowd of us all walk up through a little passage (Sorry, i can't remember the road names) and come out on Main Road Gedling, we would then go up Westdale Lane and up past the Tavern onto Concrete Canyon (The Pit Estate). Ahhh Memories :rolleyes:

Our paths must have crossed. My brother and I used to go to the Cafe most evenings, "homework permitting" I lived on Phoenix Avenue on the pit estate ( number 13 ) There was a girl attended most nights...carol (?). She had two or three brothers who were known as very attentive of her so there was no messing about...but she could sure twirl with the best.

The little lane you took led to Blackhill drive

Mattsdigs, Ayup mi duck,

I'd say we probably did go to the cafe around the same time as there wasn't that many places to go for the age group.

We also used to go to The Miners club on the top of Besecar, i think it was later called The Ballaton or something similar and various Youth clubs, one at The memorial Hall and also The Miners Welfare on top of Mapperly Plains. I can't think of Carol; but i would make a guess that we knew of her at the time, i'm afraid i only have part memories as this time is over fifty years ago. I had a couple of good school mates who lived on Phoenix, who you probably knew as well, Are you still living in the area or moved to pastures new as i did in 1966? I am sure we will know many of the same people who lived on the estate, because that's how it was. Thank you for putting a name to the road i couldn't remember (Blackhill Drive), the memory is not so good any more. :) :) :)

Whilst in that area I used to go to Gedling Youth Club in the early 60s .

Think it was in the church hall on the corner of Burton Rd and Arnold Lane ? Can't remember much about it apart from the fact we played table tennis and music was played on an old record player .

Later , because most of my pals lived there , moved onto Burton Joyce youth club which was much more "happening" !

Then Slaters "taters" in the village , for chips afterwards .