What were you and why /Teenage Years

Checked shirts forevermore!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ian good post mate,........met you liked you,.but as regards col,met him liked him,and so as to keep it in thread,i'll tell you what I was like as a teenager, lol..........had many mates that I liked

Are you being a little unkind, Ian?  Everyone should be allowed to 'like'  whatever post they choose without being called a sheep.   

Saturday night was at "Theatre Royal" watching "MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET" The story of how four stars made Rock'n'Roll history Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis and Carl Perkins

I was never a mod or a rocker.  I couldn't afford a motor bike or a scooter.  Hung out at the Sherwood Cycling club next to the Chesterfield Arms in Gedling in the very early 60s.  I could just afford a bike.:biggrin:  Clothing was nothing fancy.  Pair of jeans and a jacket with the club badge on it.

Interest turned to the fairer sex around 62 and I scrounged up enough money to get a decent suit and tie. Plus a pair of winkle pickers.  Thought I was pretty snazzy then. Mostly kept a low profile.

• Upvote 1
On 14 November 2013 at 10:30 AM, carni said:

#25 David,

I remember going out with collection boxes to fund the new Youth Cub

I did have to read that twice Carni I thought you wrote 'you'd been out with a collection of boxers too fund the new youth club'  ............ Crikey!

13 hours ago, loppylugs said:

I was never a mod or a rocker.  I couldn't afford a motor bike or a scooter.  Hung out at the Sherwood Cycling club next to the Chesterfield Arms in Gedling in the very early 60s.  I could just afford a bike.:biggrin:  Clothing was nothing fancy.  Pair of jeans and a jacket with the club badge on it.

Interest turned to the fairer sex around 62 and I scrounged up enough money to get a decent suit and tie. Plus a pair of winkle pickers.  Thought I was pretty snazzy then. Mostly kept a low profile.

62!! That's a bit too old to start to get interested!

• Upvote 2

My first proper job after leaving school in 62 was a trainee accountant, so I wanted to be a playboy. I couldn't stand greasy swept back hair Ted style, as mine was quite blonde and curly. After a time, I developed into more of a beatnik style, then a hippy and progressed to a mod. Never keen on mod music other than the Who and the Small Faces, so it was back to hippiedom. The 70's saw me into things like Wrangler cord flares and jackets, Levi's and jacket, Fruit of the Loom stuff. More of a clean, smart hippie really. Then later in the 70's, Jeans, desert boots, trainers, T shirts, suade jackets, checked shirts a la Rory. 

Nowadays, I'm a casual, 71 year old who can scrub up well if need be. 

• Upvote 2

A trainee accountant, FLY?  :wacko:

I had an uncle who was an accountant and he was absolutely lovely. Sadly, he died very young.

I've met quite a lot of other accountants, via work and socially, and can honestly say they were without a doubt some of the most boring, unimaginative, dreary souls I've ever encountered anywhere.

DISCLAIMER: This is merely the worthless opinion of an allegedly highly intelligent but sad individual who has absolutely no evidence or statistics to back it up (you'll be relieved to hear)!   ;)

• Upvote 3

That's exactly why I gave up after a year or so. I don't think I could ever be classed as boring, dreary or unimaginative.

• Upvote 1

Don't be bullied Jill, publish and be damned!!

Strange when folk who supposedly like freedom of exchange, REQUIRE us to back up an innocuous post with reams of evidence... and the sheep that 'like ' it as well....lemmings!!

Neither Mod nor Rocker.

My interest was rock climbing, caving and fell walking.

Dress was Dolomite mountain boots, jeans or plus fours, check shirt, Duvet jacket and cagoule if it rained.

For the cave it was old boots, wetsuit, miners hard hat (some kind of cardboard) and two lamps, one electric and one carbide as a reserve.

Thank goodness we had our own set of groupies.....

Are you being a little unkind, Ian?  Everyone should be allowed to 'like'  whatever post they choose without being called a sheep.   

• Upvote 5

Cuts both ways Margie...the Whinge from Billinge has driven wedges between folk on here with his political slant and jibing members to provide evidence for posts!

No problem with you Margie..yourself and Paul are dear people..Sorry I upset you,Mr.Dawson is absent of manners now and again.

My Mum taught me that " not being right" and admitting a wrong is good...and the last word is not important.

Apology ,Ianxx

Agree with MOST of what you have just said, Ian - you'll have to work out which bits!  Now please reply or I'll feel I've just had the last word and I don't want that .......  I didn't need to receive a public apology btw but thankyou xx.  Now can we all be friends again, please.....

• Upvote 2

Ian good post mate,........met you liked you,.but as regards col,met him liked him,and so as to keep it in thread,i'll tell you what I was like as a teenager, lol..........had many mates that I liked and hated to see any fall-out with each other,and if more than two got on to one always took the side of the one out numbered,...........and ive done that all my life........joined this site two and half years ago when I felt very down,and without doubt folk on here have helped me get back to normal after quite serious health problems,and I consider them mates,.........so if someone wants to sound off about their particular point of view I say 'crack-on' if it makes em feel better,they don't need putting down,its probably their form of therapy and does em good..........wether or not I agree with em does.nt come into it............the site can discuss serious subjects without falling out,.......agreeing to disagree is nice.........and I think we'd get more new people joining if there was no nastieness.............anyway once again Ian good post,lets stay pals and be nice............as Del-boy would say.....''you know it makes sense''

• Upvote 7
  • 1 year later...